Facial injury = death?

Canotila

Sever your leg please.
Registered
Reaction score
Would getting cut through the bridge of the nose (the bone part) cause someone to bleed to death? What would the long term effects of such an injury be if it is not fatal?

MissMacchiato

Bring on the Sweet, Sweet Coffee
Registered
Reaction score
I think it could, but it depends on the circumstances. If the person was able to staunch the flow and get medical aid quickly, then no.

But if Attila the hun could die of a fatal nosebleed.... it sounds plausable enough! lol!

sunandshadow

Impractical Fantasy Animal
Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
If it's a downward or sideways stroke that cut the nose off, that probably wouldn't be fatal, assuming someone at least staunched the blood flow with a wad of cloth. The immediate danger would be fainting/shock, which could be made worse if the weather is bad or the person ill-nourished. After that infection would become the danger. If the injury healed, that would be it, no further serious problems (well, maybe depression from looking horrible). Minor problems would include difficulties with swimming (water in the sinuses) and cold weather.

But if you're talking about the sword piercing into the brain cavity, that would probably be fatal. That kind of cut would also probably blind the victim in one or both eyes.

If you want other kinds of fatal facial injuries, people have been killed by a strong blow to the nose shoving the nasal bone up into the brain. And stabbing through an eye into the brain is a traditional way to kill big armored monsters, and works on humans too.

Canotila

Sever your leg please.
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks! The situation is, I need a character to lose an eye but not be killed. He's wearing a mask and a swordsman swings at his head. The sword catches in the outside corner of the eye slit and he loses his eye. I wasn't sure if the blade would keep going and cut through the bridge of his nose in that situation.

Would it definitely cut into the brain cavity in that case?

sunandshadow

Impractical Fantasy Animal
Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
There's two ways to get the effect you want if he's wearing a helmet. It could be a straight stab but the sword's too wide to go in the eyeslit more than an inch or two. Or if it's a horizontal eyeslit, the sword is being swung from the direction of the good eye to the direction of the eye that gets blinded. As it swings through the arc the point will move farther forward. So it could just miss the first eye, just miss or graze the bridge of the nose, then cut the other eye. It really doesn't have to be much of a cut to blind someone, 1/8th of an inch would probably do it.

Canotila

Sever your leg please.
Registered
Reaction score
He's not wearing armor, it's a mask made of bone (he's a wizard). It's about a quarter inch thick and if it needs to be get broken or whatever that is fine.

Here's kind of a crappy picture, but the only one I could find that looked remotely close. His mask looks similar to the little white noh type masks decorating this figurine's upper arm armor and on the forehead of it's own mask.

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w87/spawncollection/Guide to Spawn Collection Others/Red2.jpg

It sounds like a straight stab with a wide blade could work in this case. I'm not sure why the swordsman would choose to do that though, if he's otherwise unarmored.

50 Foot Ant

Registered
Reaction score
Have the sword hit the mask, and while the mask saves his life and face, bone chips are knocked off the eye hole and penetrate the eye, and he ends up with an infection. You can even have a nice moment where his faithful lackeys are holding him down while someone scoops out his eye.

Or the eye could stay, just be blinded due to the bone fragments being driven into it from the mask.