PDA

View Full Version : First full rejection...

RRK
06-17-2010, 05:39 AM
Got my first full rejection tonight and am feeling rather down. I know, I know--it's to be expected in this business, et cetera, but right now I'm just wallowing. The agent had one or two helpful comments, but nothing really detailed. I guess I'll take tonight to be depressed, then send out some more queries tomorrow. I've got three other fulls in the works, so here's hoping someone likes it better than she did!

EagerReader
06-17-2010, 05:50 AM
Awww. Sorry. But three fulls out there is fantabulous! I have two out and am crazy with waiting. One was a revise and resubmit, so I'm really nervous about that one. It's a looooong haul. Best of luck on the others!

folkchick
06-17-2010, 06:00 AM
It hurts, but hang in there. I think the worst part is when they reject you and you don't know why. It makes you insane, doesn't it??

Take care and I wish you the best.

Wayne K
06-17-2010, 06:10 AM
:partyguy: Celebrate dude. Hey, you got the first one out of the way.

You're in the game. Stay in it. It'll pay off for ya someday.

Until then join us bums who have been rejected. We're a fun bunch

PGaritas
06-17-2010, 06:14 AM
That's so disheartening, I've suffered my own version of it. But I think you're right, grieve tonight and tonight only.

Cella
06-17-2010, 06:18 AM
Sorry :Hug2:

Keep at it :)

ILSinTexas
06-17-2010, 06:19 AM
Sorry RRK :(

I have 4 fulls out there too, and I recently sent a query status on the first one. I'm waiting for my big R.

Snowstorm
06-17-2010, 06:20 AM
Yeah, we know how it feels. :Hug2: Allow yourself to feel bummed today.

Tomorrow, like Wayne K said: celebrate! :hooray: You're a real writer who has allowed him/herself to subject their soul and hard work to professional scrutiny.

Then hit the submissions again. :whip:

Miss Plum
06-17-2010, 06:45 AM
First R on a full out of the way. You're now one step closer to representation!

Drachen Jager
06-17-2010, 07:09 AM
The agent had one or two helpful comments, but nothing really detailed.

At least you got one or two helpful comments. I got:

"Thanks for sharing "_________". The voice just didnt' grab me.
Fortunately everyone's taste differs so best of luck in finding
representation."

The voice, "didnt'" grab her.

Oh well, she was dead last on my list of preferred agents, never placed a single book with a large publisher so maybe I should be flattered?

Oh well, still three partials out there with agents I really WANT to sign with and a full with an agent who's a bit of a mystery.

cate townsend
06-17-2010, 08:01 AM
Sorry to hear it, RRK. Things will look better tomorrow. Send a revenge query, and fingers crossed for the others.

Wayne K
06-17-2010, 08:06 AM
The wife and me went to the bar across the street to celebrate my first R from an agent. It's a good thing we didn't make a habit of that :D

Did the same for the first editor R. Ditto :D

You're in the game dude. Listen to old people. This is the fun part: believe me. You're gonna get down the road and say "Damn I miss the day when...blah, blah"

Get up and write something and enjoy it.

My favorite Beckett quote~ Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

You have a better chance of failing better if you're up.

Get up

RRK
06-17-2010, 05:12 PM
Thanks all! I love this forum so much--just can't talk about this stuff with non-writers, you know?

Okay, revenge query time! Back on the horse I go.

Phaeal
06-17-2010, 05:58 PM
Heh, my first full rejection didn't hurt at all, since it came from an agent who requested the full from query letter alone and who turned it down within hours. Must have read the first page and found it not to his taste -- which is why requesting a few sample pages is probably a good idea.

Not that it matters when the correspondence is via Internet. A full's as cheap to send, and as easy to delete, as a page.

Anyhow, your horse is at the door. Saddle up!

OctoberRain
06-18-2010, 05:47 AM
Full rejections sting. You're entitled to wallow! But tomorrow's a fresh day and you have a great attitude. Keep it up!

NickSaw
06-22-2010, 10:32 PM
Three other fulls is a good thing to fall back on :)

CaroGirl
06-22-2010, 11:09 PM
Aw. Suckage. I have two fulls out for 2 different manuscripts. I wish I could get the rejection within hours, if it's indeed a rejection I'm going to get. I'd rather pull the Bandaid off quickly than slowly.

Hang in there!!

MetroWriter
06-24-2010, 10:49 PM
Got my first request for a full--and was so excited! She had read the first 25 pages on webook and immediately requested the entire thing. I sent it Monday morning. She thanked me that morning, and then rejected me Monday afternoon, with no more than a "I can't take this on" kind of comment. And, while it hurt like hell, I was so happy for that brief moment in time when I *thought* she liked it. Now? I'm inclined to think she was on a bender when she requested it. Is that normal?

cscarlet
06-25-2010, 12:46 AM
I hear ya. Just got mine not that long ago as well. It's even worse when they say they "agonized" over the decision. Ugh!

Keep at it. You've had THREE requests for a full and that means something's working right for you. Eventually someone will be as in love with your material as you want them to be! :)