PDA

View Full Version : Inception

Pages : [1] 2

maestrowork
06-16-2010, 09:36 PM
The trailers look fantastic. And it's Chris Nolan... I'm really looking forward to seeing this (although it kind of looks like a cross between Matrix and Nightmare on Elm Street. LOL)

Shadow_Ferret
06-16-2010, 09:40 PM
I had to Google him. So far his movies have been hit or miss with me.

maestrowork
06-16-2010, 09:42 PM
I've loved his films since Memento... (okay, Insomnia was a little weak) If this is anything like The Dark Knight, we're in for a real treat.

Shadow_Ferret
06-16-2010, 09:45 PM
But if it's like The Prestige, then I'll again be very disappointed.

maestrowork
06-16-2010, 09:48 PM
But if it's like The Prestige, then I'll again be very disappointed.

Oh well, I actually liked the Prestige very much (although he did leave way too many clues for me to guess everything).

Calla Lily
06-16-2010, 09:51 PM
I want to see this.

Shadow_Ferret
06-16-2010, 09:58 PM
Oh well, I actually liked the Prestige very much (although he did leave way too many clues for me to guess everything).

There wasn't one likable character in the lot. Maybe Michael Caine, but he's always pretty likable. So not having anyone to root for sorta ruined the whole thing for me.

Sorry. Didn't mean to derail.

I can only hope this one is as good as his Batman movies.

Diana Hignutt
06-16-2010, 10:00 PM
Count me in as being excited to see this one. I didn't care for Memento (probably not the movie's fault, I rented it minutes before the planes crashed into the towers on 9/11), but I loved everything else Nolan has done.

Cyia
06-16-2010, 10:07 PM
I didn't know he did Memento. I liked that movie, and the Prestige. (Though I hated Dark Knight) Hopefully Inception will be worth watching. The only thing I could see that might go wrong is if they overplay the dream sequences at the expense of the story itself.

katiemac
06-16-2010, 10:26 PM
His first film that's not an adaptation. It'll be interesting. Can't wait. This and Toy Story 3 are the only movies I've cared about all summer.

Diana Hignutt
06-16-2010, 10:46 PM
I didn't know he did Memento. I liked that movie, and the Prestige. (Though I hated Dark Knight) .

Do not let Celia see this...

Cyia
06-17-2010, 05:21 AM
Do not let Celia see this...

I'm pretty sure she's still chewing on my shin bone from the last time I mentioned my distaste for DK. (Though my issue wasn't with Joker, so it was a less kill-worthy offense.)

childeroland
06-17-2010, 04:25 PM
Inception cannot come out fast enough.

BenPanced
06-17-2010, 06:16 PM
Not a DiCaprio fan, so I'm taking a pass.

Jcomp
06-17-2010, 06:51 PM
I'm on board with Chris Nolan. He hasn't disappointed me at all yet. My favorite filmmaker out right now, as I'm sure I've mentioned too many times here before. Can't wait for this flick. Looks ambitious and, lo and behold, it's an original story. Dig that....

katiemac
06-17-2010, 07:20 PM
I'm on board with Chris Nolan. He hasn't disappointed me at all yet. My favorite filmmaker out right now, as I'm sure I've mentioned too many times here before. Can't wait for this flick. Looks ambitious and, lo and behold, it's an original story. Dig that....

I'm pretty sure you could still dig up my original thread about this, dated about two years ago, when all I had to announce about this movie after reading the first press release was Chris Nolan's new film will be Inception and stars DiCaprio.

Sold.

Diana Hignutt
06-17-2010, 07:26 PM
Yeah, I'm a big DiCaprio fan as well as a big Nolan fan.

Enzo
06-17-2010, 07:26 PM
I saw the trailer months ago and I thought - what an amazing movie. I only learned afterward that Nolan was the director. Memento is one of my all-time favorites, though his other movies mentioned in this thread were mostly so-so, not bad, but not really excellent.
I still believe Inception could be my favorite movie of the year. Last year, that 'award' went to Benjamin Button.

maestrowork
06-17-2010, 09:44 PM
I have high hopes for Toy Story 3 and this, especially after the disappointment that was Iron Man 2 and A-Team.

Zoombie
06-17-2010, 09:50 PM
I watched the trailer for this when I was watching the A-Team movie (which was awesome) and I was thinking, "WOW! That movie looks really cool!"

And so, I'm gonna see it with friends next week as I'm stuck with visiting my family this week.

katiemac
06-17-2010, 09:52 PM
I watched the trailer for this when I was watching the A-Team movie (which was awesome) and I was thinking, "WOW! That movie looks really cool!"

And so, I'm gonna see it with friends next week as I'm stuck with visiting my family this week.

Release date is July 16.

Cyia
06-17-2010, 09:54 PM
Release date is July 16.

Shhh. Let the kid use his time machine in peace.

katiemac
06-17-2010, 09:55 PM
Shhh. Let the kid use his time machine in peace.

Just making sure he lands on the right day. It would suck to use up all that plutonium and then arrive a day early... ;)

Zoombie
06-17-2010, 09:56 PM
Oh son of a...I thought it said June 16th in the trailer

Ah well.

I suppose I'll spend my time throwing paper airplanes at the moose's head in my room.

dgiharris
06-17-2010, 10:26 PM
Not a DiCaprio fan, so I'm taking a pass.

I became a DiCaprio fan with his acting in The Departed.

In retrospect, he was always a good actor, I guess I just hated on him a little bit with Titanic. And even with that film, I have to admit that he was good in it.

So, he is on my short list of actors who I will pretty much see anything he is in.

Mel...

Calla Lily
06-17-2010, 10:37 PM
Not a DiCaprio fan, either, but I admired his work in The Aviator. So I'll give him a shot in this. Interested to see how he and the Juno gal work together.

maestrowork
06-17-2010, 11:36 PM
Not really a DiCaprio fan either, but I think he's a good actor. But I don't see movies just for the star/actor. This movie just looks kick-ass.

Cranky
06-17-2010, 11:52 PM
DH and I saw the trailer on television, and actually rewound a bit so that we could watch it again. Neither of us are particularly big fans of DiCaprio's, either, but this one reached out and grabbed us. Looks like a really interesting flick!

Calla Lily
06-18-2010, 12:57 AM
Not really a DiCaprio fan either, but I think he's a good actor. But I don't see movies just for the star/actor. This movie just looks kick-ass.

[brief derail]

But I will avoid movies if they star certain actors. Nicolas Cage and Mickey Rourke come to mind. No matter how good the movies look. The Sorcerer's Apprentice, for example, which looks fun and cute.

[/derail]

But Inception, the overall movie, looks like a great ride.

Jcomp
06-18-2010, 01:16 AM
Not really a DiCaprio fan either...

I'm a fan, but even I have to admit that there's some part of him that just never quite looks believable. It's the perpetually youthful appearance. I think he knows it too, and it sometimes leads him to try to hard, which results in occasional overacting. Whenever he sports facial hair you just want to walk up to him and say, "Man, take this fake mustache off. Who're you fooling?"

Cyia
06-18-2010, 01:42 AM
[brief derail]

But I will avoid movies if they star certain actors. Nicolas Cage and Mickey Rourke come to mind. No matter how good the movies look. The Sorcerer's Apprentice, for example, which looks fun and cute.

[/derail]

But Inception, the overall movie, looks like a great ride.

Nic Cage has a dry monotone that only works in certain scenarios. Most of the time he makes me want to hit myself with stick.

And I think SA will be the "big" movie that bombs this summer. If it was debuting any other time, it might have been a hit, but once Airbender hits theaters, it's suicide for any other fantasy type film.

maestrowork
06-18-2010, 04:20 AM
I'm a fan, but even I have to admit that there's some part of him that just never quite looks believable. It's the perpetually youthful appearance. I think he knows it too, and it sometimes leads him to try to hard, which results in occasional overacting. Whenever he sports facial hair you just want to walk up to him and say, "Man, take this fake mustache off. Who're you fooling?"

I think that's exactly the problem with him in the Aviator. As good as he is, he just can't convince me he's Howard Hughes. Just can't.

When he played young (Titanic, Catch Me if You Can), he did a far better job.

Zoombie
06-18-2010, 04:28 AM
The best Howard Hughes was in The Rocketeer.

As for Di Caprio...eh. I haven't seen enough movies with him in em.

Shadow_Ferret
07-02-2010, 01:06 AM
Finally saw a trailer for Inception. Sorry. But anytime I see a trailer and I scratch my head and say "WTF did I just see?" it's not a good sign.

maestrowork
07-02-2010, 01:10 AM
Finally saw a trailer for Inception. Sorry. But anytime I see a trailer and I scratch my head and say "WTF did I just see?" it's not a good sign.

That'd be like 95% of the movies out there...

Bazinga!

rhymegirl
07-02-2010, 01:24 AM
I became a DiCaprio fan with his acting in The Departed.

In retrospect, he was always a good actor, I guess I just hated on him a little bit with Titanic. And even with that film, I have to admit that he was good in it.

So, he is on my short list of actors who I will pretty much see anything he is in.

Mel...

Did you like him in Shutter Island?

Shadow_Ferret
07-02-2010, 01:27 AM
That'd be like 95% of the movies out there...

Bazinga!

No. Usually trailers explain what's going on. This one was heavily dependent upon special effects and gave no clue as to what I was looking at.

It's not that often that a trailer just leaves me totally confused as to what the movie might be about.

Take the "Sorcerer's Apprentice" which Disney is heavily touting. I can gather what it's about from the trailers. Inception I couldn't.

maestrowork
07-02-2010, 05:28 AM
Why not? DiCaprio is a "security" guy and his job is to get inside someone's dream and get the information he needs. He said in people's dreams, they tend to put the pertinent information somewhere -- they build their world around that -- and his job is to find that information. That's called "inception." But obviously, something goes wrong, because he also said sometimes it's when you wake up that you realize something is wrong. To me, this is like matrix + minority report. I don't know exactly what the plot is yet but I welcome that. Sorcerer's Apprentice bored me because I already knew how the plot is going to unfold.

Zoombie
07-02-2010, 05:37 AM
No, it's a lot more like Psychonaughts (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=md_8uDtbffQ)meets Dark City (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSpowoKqSzc).

maestrowork
07-02-2010, 05:39 AM
I was thinking Dark City, too...

Jcomp
07-02-2010, 06:31 AM
Reminded me of Dark City as well. Except with a lot less... "Dark." Just "City."

Zoombie
07-02-2010, 07:52 AM
I'm thinking more Psychonauts.

And if you have not played Psychonauts, I'm revoking your right to live until you do so. Right now. The game costs less than a matinee movie in my city, so you have NO excuse to not buy it and play it right now!

katiemac
07-02-2010, 10:09 AM
They are leaving a lot of the plot underwraps, so yeah, the trailers aren't totally indicative of the whole story. I don't care--there are certain storylines best left in the dark. I'm actually avoiding as much information about this as possible, but can be a bit difficult because of my day job. But only good things from the people I know who have already seen it. Hopefully I see it soon, too. Either way, it's just around the corner.

maestrowork
07-02-2010, 02:40 PM
I actually hate it when the trailer tells me the whole story. Ugh, saves me 10 bucks.

CaroGirl
07-02-2010, 05:03 PM
I hated DiCaprio in Titanic and thought he couldn't act at all. But then I saw Catch Me If You Can and Gangs of New York, and the boy's work began to pique my interest. Deception might be fantastic or it might be a muddled lump of crap. Time will tell but, for now, I'm interested.

Shadow_Ferret
07-02-2010, 05:25 PM
Why not? DiCaprio is a "security" guy and his job is to get inside someone's dream and get the information he needs. He said in people's dreams, they tend to put the pertinent information somewhere -- they build their world around that -- and his job is to find that information. That's called "inception." But obviously, something goes wrong, because he also said sometimes it's when you wake up that you realize something is wrong. To me, this is like matrix + minority report. I don't know exactly what the plot is yet but I welcome that. Sorcerer's Apprentice bored me because I already knew how the plot is going to unfold.

None of that came across in the trailer I saw. It just showed things bending weirdly and water effects and weird things like that with no explanation of what was going on.

I'm thinking more Psychonauts.

And if you have not played Psychonauts, I'm revoking your right to live until you do so. Right now. The game costs less than a matinee movie in my city, so you have NO excuse to not buy it and play it right now!
Never even heard of Psychonauts, the game or the movie.

maestrowork
07-02-2010, 05:36 PM
None of that came across in the trailer I saw. It just showed things bending weirdly and water effects and weird things like that with no explanation of what was going on.

Those are "dream" sequences -- and I don't need them to tell us what's going in in there... I expect a wild ride. But everything I said was in the trailer, in the narrative. I didn't know anything else (beside Nolan is directing it) other than what's in the trailer. I deliberately didn't want to read anything else.

djf881
07-02-2010, 05:56 PM

'The Prestige' was awesome. It was extraordinarily deep and layered for a Hollywood film.

It's about extreme and intense commitment and sacrifice in pursuit of a dubious ideal. It's about the nature of the self and identity.

It's about the intersection between the possibility of technology and the idea of magic.

The central mystery is really just structural. They tell you what the secret is very early in the movie; it's part of the patter of the movie's big trick.

There are a lot of things writers can learn about storytelling from this movie.

djf881
07-02-2010, 05:57 PM
I actually hate it when the trailer tells me the whole story. Ugh, saves me 10 bucks.

This is one of those situations where the goal was to cut a trailer that makes you want to see the movie without actually telling you what the movie is about. The trailer for "Prestige" did the same thing.

Shadow_Ferret
07-02-2010, 06:24 PM
Those are "dream" sequences -- and I don't need them to tell us what's going in in there... I expect a wild ride. But everything I said was in the trailer, in the narrative. I didn't know anything else (beside Nolan is directing it) other than what's in the trailer. I deliberately didn't want to read anything else.

Not to beat a dead horse, but the only narrative (voice over) in the trailer I saw said "From the Director of the Dark Knight." And there's some dialog between Decrapio and some girl about dreaming. That's it. Certainly nothing about a security guard or what his job is. I would have welcomed that.

maestrowork
07-02-2010, 06:40 PM
Not to beat a dead horse, but the only narrative (voice over) in the trailer I saw said "From the Director of the Dark Knight." And there's some dialog between Decrapio and some girl about dreaming. That's it. Certainly nothing about a security guard or what his job is. I would have welcomed that.

The trailer I saw -- at the theater, before Toy Story 3 -- had all that information. I'll track it down for you, if you want...

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/wb/inception/

I think Trailer 3 is the one I saw at the theater.

Shadow_Ferret
07-02-2010, 06:47 PM
Thanks, Ray. I don't get to the theater much, so I saw my trailer on TV. Cut very short to the point of being incomprehensible.

But that trailer, well, now I want to see it. :) I didn't even know Michael Caine was in it.

maestrowork
07-02-2010, 07:02 PM
Michael Caine is in pretty much every Nolan's movie since Batman Begins, I think...

katiemac
07-02-2010, 08:26 PM
'The Prestige' was awesome. It was extraordinarily deep and layered for a Hollywood film.

It's about extreme and intense commitment and sacrifice in pursuit of a dubious ideal. It's about the nature of the self and identity.

It's about the intersection between the possibility of technology and the idea of magic.

The central mystery is really just structural. They tell you what the secret is very early in the movie; it's part of the patter of the movie's big trick.

There are a lot of things writers can learn about storytelling from this movie.

I agree. Just watched it again the other night. I think most people in the movie/tv forum know how much I love this movie. It's also one of those great films that even if you did have the movie's own prestige figured, it doesn't matter, because it's so layered.

I think INCEPTION has potential to be a bit more like The Prestige than, say, Batman Begins.

GeorgeK
07-03-2010, 05:17 AM
From the trailers I saw on TV it looks like a sequel to Dreamscape only with none of the same actors (several of whom are dead by now) and with a massive budget.

Smileycat
07-03-2010, 11:57 PM
I plan to see it.

DaveB
07-06-2010, 03:45 AM
They are calling it a masterpiece already, looks like Nolans done it again....

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/1217219-inception/

childeroland
07-06-2010, 04:22 AM
Yup.

I have to wait twelve days to see this, and that makes me :cry:

Variety: http://www.variety.com/review/VE1117943 ... id=31&cs=1
Hollywood Reporter: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/fil ... 2197.story
Empire: http://www.empireonline.com/reviews/rev ... FID=136118
IndieWire: http://blogs.indiewire.com/thompsononho ... with_heart
CHUD: http://chud.com/articles/articles/24313 ... Page1.html
Awards Daily: http://www.awardsdaily.com/?p=23795
Cinematical: http://www.cinematical.com/2010/07/05/inception-review/
In Contention: http://incontention.com/?p=26044
Hit Fix: http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/2008-12-6-m ... equal-ease
Film School Rejects: http://www.filmschoolrejects.com/review ... eption.php
Ain't It Cool: http://www.aintitcool.com/node/45679
UGO: http://www.ugo.com/movies/inception-review-instareview
JoBlo: http://www.joblo.com/review-inception
Coming Soon: http://www.comingsoon.net/news/reviewsnews.php?id=67539
Wow Hollywood: http://wowhollywood.us/review-inception

aadams73
07-06-2010, 04:41 AM
I have to admire DeCaprio for not going the pretty-boy route after Titanic. He's chosen roles and movies of substance and so far he's put in some really great performances. And I really didn't care for him much at first.

As for Christopher Nolan, well, he manages to enthrall and entertain me every time, so I'll be there. I can't wait, actually.

CharmedMethod
07-12-2010, 06:36 AM
Christopher Nolan can pretty much get away with anything, and after seeing The Dark Knight on opening day back then, believe it or not, and from seeing it, I can see what incredibility he can do with the movies and ideas he touches.

Inception I sense will be pretty epic, especially since most of it is pretty much focused on the idea of dreams, plus dream realities are mainly involved, and how dreams and the mind can be the source of a crime. Plus Ellen Page is also in it, and it would be interseting to see how she does in this movie.

Enzo
07-12-2010, 07:25 PM
Longer trailers here too, and I also only found out from the Internet that Michael Caine is in it. Memento was one of my all-time favorites, so Inception could be my film of the year. One week to go.

katiemac
07-12-2010, 07:33 PM
I'm seeing it tomorrow. I'll check in after.

katiemac
07-14-2010, 07:06 AM
Go. See. It.

Buy your tickets now for Friday. The midnight show.

kuwisdelu
07-14-2010, 07:42 AM
I have to admire DeCaprio for not going the pretty-boy route after Titanic. He's chosen roles and movies of substance and so far he's put in some really great performances. And I really didn't care for him much at first.

Agreed here. His career has been a pleasant surprise.

Diana Hignutt
07-14-2010, 03:11 PM
I'm hoping to be able to take off Friday to go see it early (what can I say--I like mantinee prices and not crowded theaters).

Calla Lily
07-14-2010, 05:27 PM
:( Want to see it Friday with kiddo but has an early wake-up call Saturday (refereeing a soccer tourney). We probably won't get to it till early next week.

katiemac
07-14-2010, 05:40 PM
:( Want to see it Friday with kiddo but has an early wake-up call Saturday (refereeing a soccer tourney). We probably won't get to it till early next week.

Do it anyway!

Calla Lily
07-14-2010, 05:45 PM
Alas, this is a paying job for kiddo. He needs to be alert. Mom needs to set an example. *adjusts martyr's crown*

Dr.Gonzo
07-14-2010, 06:14 PM
Me and the missus, skipping with glee. Sunday. IMAX. Awesomeness.

katiemac
07-14-2010, 06:42 PM
Me and the missus, skipping with glee. Sunday. IMAX. Awesomeness.

I might be seeing it again in IMAX tomorrow, in which case I'm excited all over again. There are a handful of scenes that must look just plain extraordinary in IMAX.

Calla Lily
07-17-2010, 06:16 AM
We massaged our schedule and just returned from the 7:10 show.

1. Totally worth $9
2. We knew how it was going to end (the trailers give enough hints certainly) but it was a great ride getting there
3. That combo of director and cast is as smooth as butter. Almost everything meshed together.
4. Go see it. I'll need to see it at least once more to figure everything out, like The Prestige.

childeroland
07-17-2010, 06:53 AM
I'm sure this was explained somewhere, but: Why couldn't anyone in the limbo state just off himself to wake back up?

Calla Lily
07-17-2010, 05:46 PM
SPOILER very wordy reply to childeroland :tongue: He and the wife did the first time they were stuck there, but that was, I thought, because they knew where they were and chose to manipulate and enjoy the experience. Several of the team said that too long in limbo would scrample the brain and "if they ever got out" wouldn't remember anything. So I conclude that they didn't off themselves to wake up because they'd forgotten they could. It seemed to me that Saito took limbo and created the empire he always wanted, so would not e thinking about escape. Because Cobb was borderline freak-out for the whole movie, I think killing his memory of Mal and his intrinsic fatalism nearly tipped him over the edge. So when he was eating rice at Saito's table at the beginning/end he only remembered in bits and pieces why he was there, and Saito's 50(?) years in limbo didn't help.

Jcomp
07-17-2010, 06:52 PM
Well, that was exhilarating. The hallway fight scene has been the cinematic highlight of my summer. To add to what callalily and childeroland are speaking on above... [highlight for spoiler]From what I gathered, "Limbo" is pure subconscious with no outside influences on the dream construct (unlike the "upper" layers of dreaming, where needing to pee causes rain, your actual body being dunked in water causes water to pour into your dream, etc. You get there and it becomes all but impossible to tell what is and isn't real, and your life in limbo is so much longer than the "upper layer" dreams that you can live a lifetime overnight. They were all sedated so heavily that dying in the dream couldn't wake them, so they would only go into a deeper layer of dreaming until the sedative wore off, which for them would feel like decades.

childeroland
07-17-2010, 06:57 PM
@callalily61 and Jcomp: Thanks. I wonder if that would also explain the crazed look in Cobb's eyes at the table, I guess, even though he'd only been in Limbo (to get Saito) a short time--maybe it doesn't take long for the brain to start going once you've been down there before.

Paul
07-17-2010, 06:58 PM
Seen it last nite

Meh. At best.

katiemac
07-17-2010, 08:41 PM
@callalily61 and Jcomp: Thanks. I wonder if that would also explain the crazed look in Cobb's eyes at the table, I guess, even though he'd only been in Limbo (to get Saito) a short time--maybe it doesn't take long for the brain to start going once you've been down there before.

Right. Originally, Mal and Cobb had been in limbo for 10 years. When Cobb was at Saito's table, he had been there for a very long time.

And that hallway fight scene was pure awesome. Watching that was incredible.

Calla Lily
07-17-2010, 08:58 PM
katie, I thought Cobb said they'd been in limbo for 50 years, because he'd kept his promise to her to grow old together. When they show the train suicide shot for the last time, they looked about 70 years old.

shawkins
07-17-2010, 11:53 PM
Am I the only one who thought that Cobb was in limbo every single second of the entire movie, including the last scene? I think his wife was right--when she killed herself, she woke up. He was still stuck in limbo from their first experiment with multi-layer dreaming. First off, the spinning top--that 'never stopped spinning in dreams' or words to that effect--was still spinning in the last shot. Second, during DiCaprio+wife's confrontational dialogue, she pointed out that the life he thought he was living was a little unrealistic and, well, dreamy. Also, if he'd been out of the country for so long, why weren't his kids any older? And they kept talking about how you could get stuck in a dream and never get out.

Calla Lily
07-18-2010, 12:09 AM
You're not. Kiddo and I discussed that on the drive home. The kids' ages bugged me, although when we looked the movie up on IMDB, there are 2 sets of actors playing the kids, one set a couple years older than the other, so that could be misdirection. But yes, the still-spinning top confirmed our still-dreaming suspicions--even though in the last frame the top looked like it was wobbling. (I have to say, I hate-hate-hate open-ended movies, even though it was 99.99% guaranteed this one would be open-ended.) Of all things, my suspicions were raised throughout the movie by how quickly and cleanly they woke up every time. No snorking, no rubbing the eyes, just WHAM! Okay, we're up, let's go. And--when he woke up in the airplane the last time, it looked to me like another example of the movie's reiterated: "You never know how you get someplace in a dream, you're just there, right in the midst of it." Everyone else except Saito seemed to be already awake and with-it. If Saito was still in his own limbo, that would make sense. Also, the quick cut from customs (which I didn't believe for one minute, since the booklet the agent leafed through to check his name against was well-thumbed, not a fresh printout like it would be if Saito's in-plane phone call had its promised result) to the house. It could've been merely a quick cut, but it also struck me as another "you show up in the middle of a dream".

Paul
07-18-2010, 12:12 AM
Am I the only [/COLOR]

Yeah esp the last bit indicates your point.
but for me, who cares. no opportunity to develop an emotional relationship with any of them - very much style over substance
ps, how do you do that invisible ink thingy?

childeroland
07-18-2010, 12:14 AM
Right before (or after, I don't remember) Ariadne jumped out of the room to kick herself out of the dream, Mal seemed to cave when Cobb told her he was finally letting her go. Assuming that Mal wasn't his projection, Cobb being in the Limbo all this time could mean she's finally realized she's never getting him back and that he's staying in the dream world forever. Did the top start to wobble in that last scene? Everyone I've read says it does, but I didn't see it wobble, though I assumed I'd missed it and he ended up in the real world after rescuing Saito.

childeroland
07-18-2010, 12:15 AM
but for me, who cares. no opportunity to develop an emotional relationship with any of them - very much style over substance

Make the letters you want to hide a very light color.

Paul
07-18-2010, 12:17 AM
Make the letters you want to hide a very light color.

Oh, nice one, simple!

shawkins
07-18-2010, 12:18 AM
Anybody actually seen it twice and looked for a falling top? I remember him dropping it a couple times, and picking it up while it was spinning a couple of times, but I don't remember seeing it fall. I wasn't looking for it the whole time though.

Click "go advanced" --there's an A with an underline to the right of the smiley. Click that and you get a color palette. Highlight everything & change it to white.

Calla Lily
07-18-2010, 12:19 AM
childeroland, Yes, it did start to wobble. In the flashback, when he found the safe in the dollhouse, and started the top spinning, when he closed the safe on it, the top was in a fast, perfect spin. But when the camera panned pack to the top on the table after he went outside wit the kids, it was kinda-sorta wobbling, but not so much that it couldn't have either fallen over or straightened the next second, depending on how firm he was entrenched in limbo--or reality.

Paul
07-18-2010, 12:19 AM
katie, I thought C

well yeah, but third level dream time is only a few days real time. if that's your concern?

Paul
07-18-2010, 12:22 AM
childeroland,.

that's one of my probs with the film, the 'I won't offer resolution bec it's sexier not to'. a cop-out, imo.

Calla Lily
07-18-2010, 12:22 AM
Paul, that's what the characters kept saying, but at the same time they said how no one's ever really done 3 levels and succeeded. IOW, everything they said abot the timing of things was all conjecture and anything was possible once they went to the 3rd level.

shawkins
07-18-2010, 12:25 AM
>You're not. Kiddo and I discussed that on the drive home. The kids' ages bugged me, although when we looked the movie up on IMDB, there are 2 sets of actors playing the kids, one set a couple years older than the other, so that could be misdirection. [/QUOTE]

Oh, I missed that. Hmmm.

> But yes, the still-spinning top confirmed our still-dreaming suspicions--even though in the last frame the top looked like it was wobbling. (I have to say, I hate-hate-hate open-ended movies, even though it was 99.99% guaranteed this one would be open-ended.) [/QUOTE]

I love, love, love them. The Lady or the Tiger is probably my all time favorite short.

>It could've been merely a quick cut, but it also struck me as another "you show up in the middle of a dream.

Glad it's not just me. This particular opinion received zero love here at casa de shawkins.

Paul
07-18-2010, 12:25 AM
Oh, I thought Cobb and Mal had gone to third level previously?

Calla Lily
07-18-2010, 12:28 AM
Still, the non-brand-new "watchdog" list the Customs agent had was the killer for me, more than anything else.

Paul, No, I think that they'd done a direct dive from second to limbo, because they set out deliberately to explore it. I could easily be misremembering that, however. And that their experience bent the brain-scrambling rules because they chose and embraced it, rather than being thrown into it.

shawkins
07-18-2010, 12:30 AM
Were the kids in fact wearing the same clothes through the whole thing? I don't recall that either.

I definitely need to give this one a 2nd viewing.

Paul
07-18-2010, 12:31 AM
Still, the non-brand-

Dunno. Would it have to be new?

Calla Lily
07-18-2010, 12:32 AM
shawkins, not sure of that at all. I focused on their general size, voices, and command of the language on the phone call vs the last scene.

Calla Lily
07-18-2010, 12:35 AM
Dunno. Would it have to be new?

Yes, because Saito implied that he was powerful enough to wipe Cobb's record instantly. But the power would be invisible to the 9-to-5 customs agent at the airport--he'd just get an updated list--or at the very least, an addendum, which would be a clean printout post-phone call. That's only am hour gap, at most, I think. His was obviously older. Thus, Cobb was still dreaming, IMO.

Paul
07-18-2010, 12:35 AM
Don't know bout a second viewing. At the end of the day, without a more credible and emotive exploration of the emotional psychological consequences of different events, i can't see anything here but fancy footwork. Even the Matrix tapped (slightly) into psy impact of perceptions /realities.
No, think Nolan got lost in the mechanics here.

As for the kids they were older on the phone, clearly so. but not at the end, hence the 'still in a dream thingy, but this adds to the style over substance position I'm taking

Calla Lily
07-18-2010, 12:56 AM
Duh. :e2smack:

Paul, you're right about the kids being older on the phone in the beginning and at the end they were the same age as the day he got out of Dodge without seeing their faces. That's the detail I missed.

Jcomp
07-18-2010, 01:35 AM
Ending-a-ringo spoiler: I rather dig the ambiguity of it all, especially in this case, when it's so easy to make it swing one way or another. The top does look like it might be wobbling and is about to fall. He never could see the kids faces before in any of his other dreams. Maybe he's awake. Then again, the kids voices seemed older during the phone convo (Phillipa particularly), the top was indeed still spinning, and maybe seeing the kids faces reflected him getting over the guilt of the "inception" he planted in his wife. So perhaps he's still in the dream. It works either way, I like the middle balance of it. I don't buy the "a dream all along" angle though, in part because I don't recall his wife showing up during any of the allegedly "awake" moments. But maybe I missed one of those sightings.

I also loved the little "assemble the team" segment. Reminded me of Ocean's 11. Good times.

MJRevell
07-18-2010, 01:48 AM
Since practically everything up there is whited out... just thought I'd ask, what did you all think of the film on the age old sliding scale of good to bad?

Paul
07-18-2010, 01:59 AM
Since practically everything up there is whited out... just thought I'd ask, what did you all think of the film on the age old sliding scale of good to bad?

jus what are you implying...

:D

Jcomp
07-18-2010, 02:02 AM

Ha. We did kind of blizzard the thread. I'm in the "very, very good" corner. Potentially great. I plan to see it again before the weekend's out.

shawkins
07-18-2010, 02:02 AM
Definitely the best movie I've seen so far this year. That's not saying much, but I think it would be competitive even in a good year.

childeroland
07-18-2010, 02:06 AM

I liked it but I'd have to see it again to clarify my feelings. The Prestige, Following, and Memento did not hit me until I'd turned them over in my head for days after I first saw them. Inception's emotive power is starting to work its way in only now--like one of Cobb's ideas, I suppose.

shawkins
07-18-2010, 02:06 AM
Another drop in the "it's all a dream" bucket--what are the chances that his labyrinth maker just happened to be named Ariadne? You could make a case that Nolan was just being classical, I guess, but it seems more to me like he intended it as Cobb's subconscious telling him something.

Calla Lily
07-18-2010, 02:19 AM

3.5 out of 4

ETA: shawkins, that struck me as odd, too. But I put it down to Nolan being punny.

shawkins
07-18-2010, 02:19 AM
On second thought, what if she actually is Ariadne? Like, THE Ariadne? Cobb got himself so lost that the mistress of the labyrinths (or whatever her actual title was) took a personal interest? IIRC, when she was introduced Cobb asked if she was as good as him (at labyrinth making? architecture?--I definitely need to see this again.) and Michael Caine let out a sort of smug "she's better." That would fit.

Don't mind me, I'm having a nerdgasm. This movie was awesome. I think most would agree that even if you hate the story, the effects are worth the ticket price.

Paul
07-18-2010, 02:25 AM
Don't mind me, I'm having a nerdgasm. This movie was awesome. I think most would agree that even if you hate the story, the effects are worth the ticket price.

Hmmm. I kinda think the fans are/will be filling in a lotta blanks - I agree with the Ariadne thing, but still have to say 'lotta jazz, little juice'.
Nonetheless, certainly entertaining effects wise, one could do worse for a tue night.
Ariadne? Ariadne?

shawkins
07-18-2010, 02:41 AM
Hmmm. I kinda think the fans are/will be filling in a lotta blanks - I agree with the Ariadne thing

I'll admit up-front that I'm deep in the throes of fanboyhood at the moment.

But I think this does raise sort of an interesting question about writing techique. Personally, I'm of the opinion that you should give the absolute minimum amount of information required in order to tell a coherent story and let the reader/viewer/whatever fill in the blanks. Stephen King made that point that when you hear something scratching at the door, you go nuts with fear--'what the hell is THAT'--but when you open the door and see it's a 50-foot bug, the reaction is along the lines of 'well, it could have been a 100 foot bug. Or 500.' What you actually see is, almost by definition, never going to be as scary as what you imagine.

I'd be inclined to say that the principle applies to more than just horror. My little Ariadne theory is, I admit, sort of far-fetched. However, I'm getting a major charge out of it at the moment.

To be fair, though, King did go on to say that you eventually have to produce some steak to go along with all the sizzle. And obviously not everybody loved Inception. But I think that just providing a framework on which the audience can hang their own opinions is an interesting approach to storytelling.

Smileycat
07-18-2010, 02:47 AM
NOTE: Diana Hignutt believes that Interdimensional Reptoids are controlling, eating, and enslaving humanity; therefore all her opinions on all topics are worthless. No. Seriously. She really does.

Do you think the Queen is a reptoid, too?

:)

Smileycat
07-18-2010, 02:51 AM
I'm now dying to see this. Maybe I can see it tomorrow... :cry:

What a crybaby, huh? Toughen up, stupid cat!

Calla Lily
07-18-2010, 02:56 AM
Smileycat, does the Diana reference belong in the Magick thread?

Paul
07-18-2010, 02:57 AM
I'll admit up-front that I'm deep in the throes of fanboyhood at the moment.

But I think this does raise sort of an interesting question about writing techique. Personally, I'm of the opinion that you should give the absolute minimum amount of information required in order to tell a coherent story and let the reader/viewer/whatever fill in the blanks. Stephen King made that point that when you hear something scratching at the door, you go nuts with fear--'what the hell is THAT'--but when you open the door and see it's a 50-foot bug, the reaction is along the lines of 'well, it could have been a 100 foot bug. Or 500.' What you actually see is, almost by definition, never going to be as scary as what you imagine.

I'd be inclined to say that the principle applies to more than just horror. My little Ariadne theory is, I admit, sort of far-fetched. However, I'm getting a major charge out of it at the moment.

To be fair, though, King did go on to say that you eventually have to produce some steak to go along with all the sizzle. And obviously not everybody loved Inception. But I think that just providing a framework on which the audience can hang their own opinions is an interesting approach to storytelling.

i agree and as I said also with the Ariadne theory - has to be the case, hardly coincidence. BUT, that's not my prob, my prob is what can we hang these pegs of story on? Themselves? Cos that what Nolan offers, a 'enclosed stairwell' of pegs. For me, I was never drawn to puzzles or that sort of thing, I'm more a 'making sense of the Id' man myself- as opposed to 'throw in a bit of Id', that'll dazzle 'em. :D

Calla Lily
07-18-2010, 03:04 AM
One thing Nolan did succeed with is tapping into the "what is real" fear. My biggest freak-out is someone messing with my head. All the characters take that fear and learn to defend themselves from it, like a mental self-defense class. But in the end, Cobb loses because his mind wasn't strong enough to distinguish real from dream. And that's the scary part: It makes the audience ask "Would I be strong enough? Would I end up like Saito or Cobb, or would I be grounded enough to wake up and know whether or not I was in "reality" or merely another level of dream?" I did notice that Ariadne didn't need to use her totem--a chess piece, perhaps signifying that she really was the goddess playing with all these mortals? Or because she was strong enough to know real vs dream?

shawkins
07-18-2010, 03:15 AM
> callalily61; One thing Nolan did succeed with is tapping into the "what is real" fear. My biggest freak-out is someone messing with my head. All the characters take that fear and learn to defend themselves from it, like a mental self-defense class. But in the end, Cobb loses because his mind wasn't strong enough to distinguish real from dream. And that's the scary part: It makes the audience ask "Would I be strong enough? Would I end up like Saito or Cobb, or would I be grounded enough to wake up and know whether or not I was in "reality" or merely another level of dream?" I did notice that Ariadne didn't need to use her totem--a chess piece, perhaps signifying that she really was the goddess playing with all these mortals? Or because she was strong enough to know real vs dream?
/callalily61

I think this is why I'm more and more in love with this movie. I didn't make that connection at all, but when you put it that way it totally makes sense. My interpretation of the exact same data was that Cobb was just totally screwed from square one. Nothing he did could possibly have made any difference; there was never any getting out of this one. To me that's an equally legitimate conclusion. (YMMV, admittedly.)

The fact that we both watched the same flick, both really liked it, but drew totally different conclusions about what was going on is, to my mind, high art.

shawkins
07-18-2010, 03:18 AM
i agree and as I said also with the Ariadne theory - has to be the case, hardly coincidence. BUT, that's not my prob, my prob is what can we hang these pegs of story on? Themselves? Cos that what Nolan offers, a 'enclosed stairwell' of pegs. For me, I was never drawn to puzzles or that sort of thing, I'm more a 'making sense of the Id' man myself- as opposed to 'throw in a bit of Id', that'll dazzle 'em. :D

What can I say? I'm a sucker for this sort of thing. Still, I think we're all in agreement that the floaty bits were kewl.

Paul
07-18-2010, 03:22 AM
One thing Nolan did succeed with is

Of course, that is the heart of the idea / movie, hence my Matrix mention.
Prob is, (IMO) is that Nolan didnt' really investigate the psy/emotional consequences thoroughly enough and instead went with the maze within a maze, 'that'll keep em guessing' cop-out. (IMO)

Paul
07-18-2010, 03:22 AM
What can I say? I'm a sucker for this sort of thing. Still, I think we're all in agreement that the floaty bits were kewl.

LOL! For sure

Calla Lily
07-18-2010, 03:33 AM
shawkins: Agreed on the floaty bits. I was especially happy that when Arthur ahd to figure out how to make the kick work with no gravity, he crafted a solution that made logical, physical sense. WIN.

Paul: The Matirx ( the first one) was kewl in its own right, within the construct of we the audience knew when they were in reality and when they were in the Matirx. I liked some of Nolan's surprising us with "Fooled you! They're dreaming", like when the stairs went Escher on them. In general, I think Nolan fell a little too much in love with the illusion (this is where shawkins and I disagree because I want an Ending, darn it. I also hate songs that just fade out. :tongue). But I do agree that because we're seeing the same movie and coming up with different interpretations--the screenwriters ROCK. For me, he gave enough hints at the psy/emotion consequenses of messing so severely with your brain--like when Cobb admits he can only dream by being hooked up. He knows he's screwed.

BTW: that was the other fail for me: How, exactly, are they hooking into each other? If it's a butterfly needle, then they should have track marks and a drop of blood every time they unhook. but those things didn't happen. Did they tape some kind of magnetic/psychic totem disc thingy to their wrist pulses that allowed their psyches to feed through the white tubes? This bugged me.

childeroland
07-18-2010, 03:35 AM
Of course, that is the heart of the idea / movie, hence my Matrix mention.
Prob is, (IMO) is that Nolan didnt' really investigate the psy/emotional consequences thoroughly enough and instead went with the maze within a maze, 'that'll keep em guessing' cop-out. (IMO)

That may be the difference between a very good film like Inception and a great film (great IMO) that deals with similar material like Paprika (and no, I'm not making all the same tired comparisons, only noting the similarity in theme) or Paperhouse. I mean -- how deep those films go into the their characters' psyche, not that I necessarily agree about the cop-out. (Of course, allowing that Nolan may be going deep in a way different than those films, for all I know.)

Paul
07-18-2010, 03:38 AM
shawkins: Agreed on the floaty bits. I was
Paul: . :tongue). B
BTW: that was the other fail for me: How, exactly,

LOL!
now you should be working in continunity thingy or some such, very good!

Paul
07-18-2010, 03:41 AM
That may be the difference between a very good film like Inception and a great film (great IMO) that deals with similar material like Paprika (and no, I'm not making all the same tired comparisons, only noting the similarity in theme) or Paperhouse. I mean -- how deep those films go into the their characters' psyche, not that I necessarily agree about the cop-out. (Of course, allowing that Nolan may be going deep in a way different than those films, for all I know.)

Agreed. prob cop-out's a bit strong, I mean it was enjoyable. I'm just a sticklier for 'all or nuthin' kinda thing. :)

shawkins
07-18-2010, 03:50 AM
callalily61> I liked some of Nolan's surprising us with "Fooled you! They're dreaming", like when the stairs went Escher on them. In general, I think Nolan fell a little too much in love with the illusion

Well, true. I'll admit it crossed my mind to wonder why the hallway/elevator dreamers were in zero-G because of the falling van, yet the snow fortress/sandcastle city guys were standing on solid ground. But by that point I was loving it enough that suspension of disbelief wasn't a real struggle.

I happened to miss most of the trailers for this (day job's been busy) and I think that was a big reason it hit me so hard visually. I had zero idea what was coming. I may make a point out of skipping them from now on.

Calla Lily
07-18-2010, 03:55 AM
Favorite funny moment: They hit the dream and it's pouring and one character asks the drug guy: Couldn't you have peed before we started?

shawkins
07-18-2010, 03:57 AM
&*%! it. I'm going to see if I can talk gf into going again tomorrow. LOVE this flick.

Paul
07-18-2010, 04:08 AM
&*%! it. I'm going to see if I can talk gf into going again tomorrow. LOVE this flick.

You have a gf???
No fair.
I thought we were all Nerds together here?
traitor.

Calla Lily
07-18-2010, 04:12 AM
*whispers* I'm married. 22 years. With 2 kids. Sorry.

shawkins
07-18-2010, 04:19 AM
You have a gf???
No fair.
I thought we were all Nerds together here?
traitor.

Er, um...yes! Yes, I do! [ whistles ] She's from Canada (http://www.theonion.com/articles/canadian-girlfriend-unsubstantiated,1484/). You probably wouldn't know her.

Paul
07-18-2010, 04:21 AM
Er, um...yes! Yes, I do! [ whistles ] She's from Canada (http://www.theonion.com/articles/canadian-girlfriend-unsubstantiated,1484/). You probably wouldn't know her.

Ha ha. funnay link.

Zoombie
07-18-2010, 04:52 AM
Wow.

Fucking incredible.

Paul
07-18-2010, 04:54 AM
Wow.

Fucking incredible.

Thank you.

Plot Device
07-18-2010, 07:18 AM
Just got back.

Oh.

My.

God.

Dommo
07-18-2010, 07:26 AM
One of the best mind raping movies I've seen in a long time.

Definitely goes in the pantheon of 12 monkeys, primer, total recall, and perhaps a few others. Best science fiction movie of the year by far.

Zoombie
07-18-2010, 07:31 AM
Also, once I got out of that theater, I just had a brilliant idea.

Inception, the pencil and paper RPG.

It'd be like Shadowrun - you are a crack team of criminals hired by corporations to steal secrets and such - but with less cybernetics and more fucked up dreamscapes.

I'd buy that in an instant.

Plot Device
07-18-2010, 07:46 AM
I have two questions that are spoilers. So only read my two questions IF you have alreadyseen the film.

Question #1) Was the old man at the beginning (and then at the end) Leonardo DiCaprio? Was that the young Leonardo talking to an older version of himself?

Question #2) At the very very end, the top never stopped spinning. But it wobbled a bit. Meanwhile, his two children hadn't aged by even a single day (although I was never sure how long ago it was he had left them), and they were conveniently wearing the same clothing as the day he left them. Do YOU think it was all a dream?

Zoombie
07-18-2010, 07:56 AM
Question 1) That was The Japanese guy. He died and fell into Limbo, but aged super fast due to time running faster in Limbo.

Question 2) I dunno.

GregB
07-18-2010, 09:05 AM
Question 1: Agree with Zoombie.

Question 2: I think we're meant to be uncertain, just as Cobb will always be uncertain. It's probably real, but then there's the way people look at him in the airport, the way his kids look. It's wobbly.

Zoombie
07-18-2010, 09:25 AM
Also, the movie is chock a block full of Batman peeps.

Japanese guy was the fake Raz Al Ghul (Sp), Alfred was there, the Scarecrow was there and shit.

It was like holy shit!

Dommo
07-18-2010, 09:45 AM
I've noticed that about Nolan. He tends to have a stable of actors that he utilizes for his films. I wonder if this means that DiCaprio is going to end up as a villain or something in the next batman movie?

Libbie
07-18-2010, 12:17 PM
I just saw it tonight with some friends. AWESOME! I haven't enjoyed a film this much in a really long time, and it's been even longer since I've seen a sci-fi film this great.

Plus I want to Make The Nasties with Joseph Gordon-Levitt now. But only if he wears that suit and floats around in zero-G.

Oh, and 1) No, it was Saito. 2) I don't know, and I hope I never find out. :)

Zoombie
07-18-2010, 12:24 PM
I've noticed that about Nolan. He tends to have a stable of actors that he utilizes for his films. I wonder if this means that DiCaprio is going to end up as a villain or something in the next batman movie?

Hmmm...

DiCaprio...as...the Riddler...

I could see that. Yes.

And yes, I'd want the Riddler to be in the next Batman movie. Why? Because I love Riddles. Good riddles give the audience to think about. Plus, just as Eckhart fucking ERASED any and all memory of...that...other Two-Face performance, I wanna see the Riddle get that...other...performance buried.

Calla Lily
07-18-2010, 06:18 PM
Plot, if you look through the blizzard of white between me, shawkins, and Paul, our group answer to your question 2 is in there... somewhere.

Plot Device
07-18-2010, 06:46 PM
Thanks for all the answers, guys. :)

Meanwhile, I have NOT been so utterly arrested by a film in years -- possibly in decades! I do not recall a film since my childhood where I could NOT take my eyes off the damned screen. There was nothing predictable about this movie.

It was essentially a "heist film," which is a genre that tends to be very formulaic and which usually allows you to 'ho-hum" your way through the predictability of the formula and its general plot outline. The only way to keep a heist film interesting is to show us (the audience) new gadgets we've never seen before that will be used by the heroes for the act of breaking in and stealing, and also reveal to us new factoids about buildings and tools and security procedures which we have never seen before, and also to have all kinds of unpredicatble shit go wrong during the heist and during the get away. And don't forget the mandatory twist near the end where somebody sells the heroes out, or else when a bad guy decides to become a good guy. SO in a traditinal heist film, it's easy to allow your brain to kinda drift off every now and again, and this can be true even during a really good heist film (like The Italian Job).

However, when THIS heist film showed us the tools to be used by the heist theives, and introduced us to how the tools worked and the details of the buildings where the heist wuold take place, there was NOTHING ho-hum about our spell-binding, don't-blink-or-you'll-miss-an-important-detail introduction to the proper usage and precautions of their tools. And yet the SHEER GENIUS OF THIS FILM is that the tools needed for stealing are nothing new to any of us, The tools are dreams! And every last one of us is desperately familair with dreams. And this film would point out universal facts about dreams and the act of dreaming, and explain stuff most if us already pretty much know on an intuitive level about dreams, and we're all sitting in our movie seats going "Yeah! Yeah! That happens to me in MY dreams too!" And so we are all sitting there in our movie seats, absorbing "not so new" details abotu dreams, which then get turned into totally new and mind-expanding details about the heist tools they will use. And the frequency of new details getting hurled at us was roughly every three minutes, and we're all totally "getting it," with no complaints or protests from us. We're all on board with every detail of these new concets, we're all "gettig it" and the movie just keeps movig forward into this world of dream theivery and we are SWEPT ALONG. The ability of a film to SWEEP US ALONG is sheer gold.

Can't take your eyes off the screen!

Mind-expanding!

This is going to be THE must-see film of the year! THE water cooler film of the year.

And the most amazing thing of all is that this whole story was entirely Christopher Nolan's brain child -- not based on a book or a comic or any pre-existing material. It's totally original. So this will also probably get the Oscar for Best Original Screenplay.

Paul
07-18-2010, 07:21 PM
So, PD, what are you saying then?

Plot Device
07-18-2010, 07:50 PM
So, PD, what are you saying then?

:tongue

Plot Device
07-18-2010, 08:04 PM
Just read Roger Ebert's review. He gave it four stars and the film review itself concentrates heavilly on the task of writing such a script

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100714/REVIEWS/100719997

It's said that Christopher Nolan spent ten years writing his screenplay for "Inception." That must have involved prodigious concentration, like playing blindfold chess while walking a tight-wire. The film's hero tests a young architect by challenging her to create a maze, and Nolan tests us with his own dazzling maze. We have to trust him that he can lead us through, because much of the time we're lost and disoriented. Nolan must have rewritten this story time and again, finding that every change had a ripple effect down through the whole fabric.

The story can either be told in a few sentences, or not told at all. Here is a movie immune to spoilers: If you knew how it ended, that would tell you nothing unless you knew how it got there. And telling you how it got there would produce bafflement. The movie is all about process, about fighting our way through enveloping sheets of reality and dream, reality within dreams, dreams without reality. It's a breathtaking juggling act, and Nolan may have considered his "Memento" (2000) a warm-up; he apparently started this screenplay while filming that one. It was the story of a man with short-term memory loss, and the story was told backwards....

[snip]

The movies often seem to come from the recycling bin these days: Sequels, remakes, franchises. "Inception" does a difficult thing. It is wholly original, cut from new cloth, and yet structured with action movie basics so it feels like it makes more sense than (quite possibly) it does. I thought there was a hole in "Memento:" How does a man with short-term memory loss remember he has short-term memory loss? Maybe there's a hole in "Inception" too, but I can't find it. Christopher Nolan reinvented "Batman." This time he isn't reinventing anything. Yet few directors will attempt to recycle "Inception." I think when Nolan left the labyrinth, he threw away the map.

shawkins
07-18-2010, 08:22 PM
Just got back.

Oh.

My.

God.

LOL! I see we have another convert. Come in, have a seat. There's cookies. So, questions:

Where are you on the "it's all a dream" theory?
Did you happen to notice if:
1) the kids were in the exact same clothes the whole time?
2) we ever see the top stop spinning, as opposed to being grabbed up or dropped on a table or some such?

aadams73
07-19-2010, 12:38 AM
Holy crap, that was spectacular! :D

ETA answers to questions: I don't think it was all a dream, although I can't say for certain at which point I think the whole thing became a dream (at some point it certainly did.) The kids on the phone definitely sounded older, and yet at the end they were still little kids and in the same clothes. But a good argument can certainly be made for "it was all a dream". I mean c'mon, the Ariadne thing can't have been a coincidence, and there was a lot about her character that was too convenient; and it carefully constructed to be so--not sloppy plotting because it's one of the tightest plots I've ever come across. But...argh! I need to see it again!

Cricket18
07-19-2010, 01:53 AM
Loved this movie!

My thoughts about the end: It was a dream. Why? The kids were the same age they'd always been, and in the same clothes. He can move forward and be with them now because his guilt has been alleviated. In his phone call with them earlier, they are clearly older.

Also, and maybe this is just my interpretation, but when Leo walks through the door of his house at the end, he has a "How did I get here?" look on his face, which to me, is indicative of a dream. And really, his kids are in the same position, in the same yard, in the same clothes, upon his final return? I don't think so.

Paul
07-19-2010, 02:06 AM
Holy crap, that was spectacular! :D

ETA answers to questions: But...argh! I need to see it again!

well , if Nolan's intention was to get repeat viewing figures, he certainly has succeeded. :)

aadams73
07-19-2010, 02:28 AM
well , if Nolan's intention was to get repeat viewing figures, he certainly has succeeded. :)

Okay, I want to see it again, too. :)

Spoiler: I'm sitting here reading the reviews now. I'm amazed at how many people didn't "get" the whole zero-gravity thing.

Also: I didn't notice this myself, but in some scenes (apparently) Cobb was wearing a wedding ring, and in others he wasn't. So that's something else I'll watch for next time.

Paul
07-19-2010, 02:35 AM
Okay, I want to see it again, too. :)

Spoiler:

sigh. What 'bout hair colour, didn't that change at some stage?

aadams73
07-19-2010, 02:39 AM

Shun the non-believer. :D

childeroland
07-19-2010, 03:20 AM

Probably because your image (self-image, in the dream) don't change in the dream, just your clothing, depending on the environment of the dream level you find yourself in. The change of clothing must be conscious, since none of them seemed prepared for the rain in Yusef's dream/environment. Eames can change his appearance at will, but this seems to be a special skill of his.

Paul
07-19-2010, 03:30 AM
Probably because your image (self-image, in the dream) don't change in the dream, just your clothing, depending on the environment of the dream level you find yourself in. The change of clothing must be conscious, since none of them seemed prepared for the rain in Yusef's dream/environment. Eames can change his appearance at will, but this seems to be a special skill of his.
em....

shawkins
07-19-2010, 03:32 AM
childeroland; >Probably because your image (self-image, in the dream) don't change in the dream, just your clothing, depending on the environment of the dream level you find yourself in. The change of clothing must be conscious, since none of them seemed prepared for the rain in Yusef's dream/environment. Eames can change his appearance at will, but this seems to be a special skill of hiis

Good point.

Paul
07-19-2010, 03:35 AM
:flag:

aadams73
07-19-2010, 06:58 AM
I figure this fits here just fine: an open letter to Leonardo DiCaprio from Sleeping Beauty (http://jezebel.com/5590174/an-open-letter-to-leonardo-dicaprio-from-sleeping-beauty).

Zoombie
07-19-2010, 07:22 AM
I see some people say that Inception does not have a lot of emotion.

I'm confused by this. The movie was all about a man trying to deal with his troubled past and guilt.

Diana Hignutt
07-19-2010, 02:30 PM
It was magnificent. Nolan's best yet. I am still dazzled. I also want to see it again. And again. The cleverest "heist" movie evah.

Diana Hignutt
07-19-2010, 02:36 PM
Do you think the Queen is a reptoid, too?

No. I don't do the shape-shifting reptoids are our leaders theory. That would be David Icke. F-ing poser. Icke, not you. Back to your thread....

Calla Lily
07-19-2010, 03:38 PM

I'm confused by this. The movie was all about a man trying to deal with his troubled past and guilt.

Exactly, Zoombie. Maybe these people were blindsided by the preview for Charlie St. Cloud. (I'm still trying to control my gagging reflex from that.)

/derail

Jcomp
07-19-2010, 06:00 PM

Heck, I'd go so far as to say that this is easily Nolan's most "emotional" movie yet. The usual critique of his previous films is that they are largely emotionless. Memento, The Prestige, Insomnia, they're all more about themes (identity, obsession, guilt). You don't get a deep sense of how characters feel so much as what motivates them. Likewise, Batman as a character is notoriously detached because that's how he has to be to get his work done. The most emotional character in that series thus far ended up being Dent, and to a lesser extent Gordon.

Cricket18
07-19-2010, 09:01 PM
Exactly, Zoombie. Maybe these people were blindsided by the preview for Charlie St. Cloud. (I'm still trying to control my gagging reflex from that.)

/derail

Were we in the same theater? ;) After the preview, the entire audience offered a collective groan / laugh.

Zoombie
07-19-2010, 09:03 PM
Ugh ugh ugh ugh ugh UGH that movie looked SO FUCKING TERRIBLE.

Yes kids, that's the lesson for the day: When your family members die, they can still come back and make you feel better!

Which is...kind of totally opposite of one of the themes of Inception, which was about LETTING GO when you have too...

Huh.

Calla Lily
07-19-2010, 09:18 PM
Zoombie, if you were a squeeing pre-teen fangirl, you'd understand. :D

Actually the premise of the movie sounds good: survivor's guilt, otherworldly help, the moment of choice between wallowing in it and moving on. But they drowned it in shmaltz and syrup and Big Blue Eyes.

As much as I disliked What Dreams May Come (and I did dislike it--a lot) it dealt with those issues well. Consider who wrote the book, of course, and it's a no-brainer. (Yes, I know they changed the ending. Still.) Charlie St. Cloud is simply a star vehicle for Efron. Grab it while you're still adorable, sir. I would, if I were him.

Aack! Sorry for continuing the derail.

Um... so about Ariadne's totem. Significant that it was a chess piece, meaning that she was playing with everyone? Significant that she never used it, if she wasn't? Perhaps because she didn't have survivor's guilt.

DeleyanLee
07-19-2010, 09:28 PM
So my housemate and I went to see this yesterday. We both enjoyed it, her more than myself at the ending.

Mind you, I think it was a really good movie. Nolan did a great job of making it make sense, regardless of how off-the-wall the subject matter was. I had no moments of utter confusion, like I did with What Dream May Come or some other movies. Thought it was great.

However, our debate has been with whether or not any of it was real (in the world of the movie, of course) or if it was all Dom's dream/subconscious. She says that there were many small hints throughout that told her that it was all a dream, that it never was real, that Dom was still trapped in Limbo and there might have never been a Mal or kids or anything, it was all just in his mind. She said that was confirmed by the last shot in the movie.

I think that's completely depressing and never saw any of those hints. In fact, I was totally with the movie until that last shot, which upset me so badly that I forgot myself and said, "Nolan, you bastard" before it cut-off. That's a personal preference thing--I really really really HATE those "I'm not gonna tell you what happened" endings. But that ending totally made the movie for my friend.

Different tastes, eh?

And, FWIW, whatever this Charlie St. Cloud is--we didn't get that preview where we went. I'll consider myself lucky.

Calla Lily
07-19-2010, 09:42 PM
Deleyan, I did not get that from the movie. Neither did kiddo, and he has one of those "take it apart to see how it functions" minds.

Did you get the Tron the Legacy preview? That looks like mindless fun.

Plot Device
07-19-2010, 11:05 PM

/derail

I was so annoyed by the trailer for that movie. A trailer should only HINT at the plot and entice you with its potential, not give away the entire story, the entire character arc, and the full dynamics of the final showdown. That last big budget movie to make that blunder via the official trailer was My Best Friend's Wedding.

DeleyanLee
07-19-2010, 11:18 PM
Deleyan, I did not get that from the movie. Neither did kiddo, and he has one of those "take it apart to see how it functions" minds.

Oh, good. I'm not alone. Thanks! Just means my best friend is weirder than either of us previously thought. ;)

Did you get the Tron the Legacy preview? That looks like mindless fun.

Hmmm, I don't think so, but I don't really remember. There was a Will Ferrel movie (The Other Guys), which we didn't understand how it tied into this audience, and a couple of others that made sense for the audience but I was totally uninterested in and had no actor that I recognized to spur the memory.

I'm not a big movie-at-the-theater person, so there's tons of popular actors who I've never heard of. *shrug* Tron, OTOH, I would've remembered 'cause I saw the original way back when.

Calla Lily
07-19-2010, 11:19 PM
Plot, I'm sure it's because you and I are not the target audience. That movie is aimed smack at 11-14yo girls, who won't care that all the twists and surpirses are revealed, because they'll go to it solely to see *gasp, swoon, squee* ZAC. :heart::e2faint::drool

kuwisdelu
07-20-2010, 05:11 AM
I really really really HATE those "I'm not gonna tell you what happened" endings.

Mmm you scared me for a minute. I thought maybe Nolan was going to give too much away.

Now I'll see the movie :)

Personally, I prefer movies that make me go WTF JUST HAPPENED?? and never give anything away. :D

dgiharris
07-20-2010, 11:10 AM
I just saw the movie and am floating on a cloud.

I saw it without knowing ANYTHING about it, only a vague notion of this dealing with dreams.

LOVED THIS MOVIE.

This is one of those movies you will have to watch a few times. Overall, very enjoyable, decent acting, great storyline, great plot...

They did so many things right in this movie and its nice to watch a movie that gives your brain a little bit of a workout keeping up with the plot.

The worldbuilding could have been completely riddled with holes and I was fairly impressed that they managed to do so much in so little time while keeping the audience up to speed and buying all of it. Seriously, think about the challenge of doing that.

It feels like the art of storytelling and film making just went one notch up the evolutionary ladder.

Its so nice to go to the movies and to be blown away :D

Mel...

DrummerGirl
07-20-2010, 01:22 PM
love this thread even though half of it is whited out.

my kids just went back to school and my man has tomorrow off... but it's not out in Australia yet!

I've been pumped about this one since last year - I hardly ever go to the movies (usually, can hold out for dvd, you know?) but this is a big screen experience kinda movie :D

Zoombie
07-20-2010, 08:55 PM
Saw it again.

Still awesome.

Calla Lily
07-20-2010, 09:26 PM
I won't see it again till it comes out in DVD. The movie budget is limited. :) I fully expect--like with The Prestige--that I'll see tons of stuff I missed the first time through, and enjoy it just as much.

Jcomp
07-21-2010, 05:34 PM
Saw it again. Liked it even more the second time around.

Plot Device
07-21-2010, 05:59 PM
Check out the following article from the Boston Examiner:

http://www.examiner.com/x-45470-Denver-Movie-Theater-Examiner~y2010m7d20-Originality-being-rewarded-with-the-success-of-Inception-and-Despicable-Me-this-past-weekend

Originality being rewarded with the success of "Inception" and "Despicable Me" this past weekend

July 20, 11:01 AMhttp://image.examiner.com/img/greydot.gifDenver Movie Theater Examiner (http://www.examiner.com/x-45470-Denver-Movie-Theater-Examiner)http://image.examiner.com/img/greydot.gifThomas Fowler

Weekend actuals were released from studios and one very important lesson is being learned as the Summer of 2010 is rolling along, original material is dominating the box office this weekend, and possibly this year....

[snip]

The real story though is Inception the film is generating massive amounts of discussion, continuing hype, and most importantly debate. The film, unlike most of the summerís offerings, actually left audiences with something to discuss more than an explosion or how it differed from the source material it was derived from.

Inception has hopefully opened a gate for original works to be treated with respect and become more of the summer tent poles than dragging franchises out until the material has become so exhausted they just canít think of another story line, see Shrek Forever After for a prime example.

The Nolan directed film, starring Leonardo DiCaprio, has already started hitting the international scene as well and will continue to be released in different countries through September. Expect to see impressive numbers internationally as well....

[snip]

MJRevell
07-21-2010, 08:25 PM
I saw it last night -- fantastic. Really, really good, and I can't wait to see it again.

Takvah
07-21-2010, 09:34 PM
Say what you like about the movie, it does inspire conversation on the ride home. My wife and I debated the "top", her wondering as many here have, if it was either, or. For me, the spinning top is irrelevant. The point was that Cobb had come to terms with things in his own mind, and had given up the fight to figure out what was real and what was not. He chose to accept, regardless. He was obsessed throughout the film by what was real and what was not... and he just walks away from the top? No, he had come to know what was important to him and seeing the kids' faces, he decided to accept and to move on whether real or not. The angst that Cobb had felt throughout the entire film is transferred to the audience and it is wonderful to see the debate back and forth... we may as well be part of the team. I have dibbs on Eames... what a cool character!

It was an awesome flick, even with the holes which I might address down the line.

Smileycat
07-21-2010, 11:57 PM
Say what you like about the movie, it does inspire conversation on the ride home. My wife and I debated (.....see Takvah's original post to see spoiler....) The angst that Cobb had felt throughout the entire film is transferred to the audience and it is wonderful to see the debate back and forth... we may as well be part of the team. I have dibbs on Eames... what a cool character!

It was an awesome flick, even with the holes which I might address down the line.

The top is very important. Reason being, he used it to check if he was in a dream or not. If it stopped spinning - not, if it never stopped - dream.

This was Cobb's way of checking to make sure he wasn't in a dream anymore. I read this in a Yahoo! article.

SPOILER ALERT!

According to the reviewer at Yahoo!, at the end of the movie, after he has his kids back, he spins the top, BUT LEAVES THE ROOM without waiting to see if the top stops spinning. This means he didn't care. He was just happy to be with his kids.

But I think it means he thought he WAS still in a dream, and didn't want to know, which is a little different.

What do you think?

katiemac
07-22-2010, 12:00 AM
I'm with Takvah:

At that point, he didn't care. I was just talking to someone about this today. He doesn't wait to see if the top stops spinning, he's done, it doesn't matter, and that's how I feel, too. It doesn't matter either way because it doesn't make a difference to Dom.

Jcomp
07-22-2010, 12:01 AM
Smileycat. That's a really interesting take. I hadn't thought of that, but it makes sense whether he is or isn't dreaming at the end. For the moment, I'm leaning toward "isn't," but I reserve the right to change my mind after every subsequent viewing...

Zoombie
07-22-2010, 12:01 AM
wait, the reviewer at Yahoo SPOILED the ENDING of the movie!?

DeleyanLee
07-22-2010, 12:05 AM

After saying: This entire article is a spoiler so if you don't want it spoiled stop reading now.

Next paragraph started with "Still here? Now...."

It's pretty much the same thing we do here.

And, actually, I've had people who haven't seen the movie come up and ask about the ending and, when I confirm or deny what they've heard, they're more interested in seeing it than before.

Not everyone has a bad reaction to knowing the end of a movie, afterall.

childeroland
07-22-2010, 04:01 AM
A question: Why doesn't Arthur scoop Cobb out of the van after he's kicked the rest of the team out of Fischer's and Arthur's dreams and into Yusef's. He leaves Cobb before Ariadne tells him Cobb went to Limbo to get Saito, doesn't he? Does Arthur figure that if Cobb drowns in the van (and he doesn't seem able to get Cobb out of the van) he'll just awake in the real world?

Jcomp
07-22-2010, 05:20 AM
A question: Why doesn't Arthur scoop Cobb out of the van after he's kicked the rest of the team out of Fischer's and Arthur's dreams and into Yusef's. He leaves Cobb before Ariadne tells him Cobb went to Limbo to get Saito, doesn't he? Does Arthur figure that if Cobb drowns in the van (and he doesn't seem able to get Cobb out of the van) he'll just awake in the real world?

I got the impression that he figured something must be wrong since Cobb was still sleeping despite being part of the group that got the "kick" in the hotel elevator. He tries to wake him up, then leaves. They seemed to have limited oxygen and were still in danger of "dying" if they lingered underwater too long, as they were only at the top level of the dream, not fully awakened yet.

dgiharris
07-22-2010, 11:47 AM
Is it just me, or does Inception feel like the next evolution of movies and storytelling?

When I look back at 'watermark' films a few come to mind.

Star Wars. Not only were the special FX ahead of its time by decades, but the storyline brought sci-fi into respectability. It also redefined the movie experience...

Terminator 2. that was the first film utilizing high powered super computers for special effects. We take it for granted today, but I remember how AWESOME the effects were. Plus, the storyline was kick ass.

Matrix. Brilliant marketing campaign and the first movie to really stretch audience imagination

Inception. IMO, this movie has redefined the amount of complexity the audience can handle. Just think about all the things the audience must learn, buy-in to, and understand while the plot is moving forward full steam.

I feel that hollywood has used a certain 'mass marketing brainless audience' model when thinking about the movies they are going to make.

But Inception completely broke the mold in terms of complexity, depth, richness...

And the audience is so starved for it that we just can't get enough. When I saw the movie the other day, the theater was PACKED on a Monday night LOL. IMagine that.

Anyways, i'm seeing this movie again this weekend.

Can't wait

Mel...

Plot Device
07-22-2010, 03:01 PM
Mel, I agree in your assessmet of watermark films. A few that you left out:

Birth of a Nation
The Shiek
The Jazz Singer
King Kong
It Happened One Night
Bright Eyes
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
The Wizard of Oz
Gone With the Wind
Casablanca
Citizen Cane
On the Water Front

I could go on.

Yes, this movie is going to change Hollywood -- for the better. It's going to encourage studios to allow more writers to be directors. It's going to encourgae studios to take risks on entirely original scripts and be less obsessive about only going with material that has a past incarnation of some sort.

Yes, this movie is going to be a history-maker. I'm psyched.

Plot Device
07-22-2010, 03:03 PM
Also, Mel, movies tend to be very formulaic because there is only 110 minutes to tell a story, and you have to get the story to fit into a template. A poor writer merely hauls out the cookie cutters and pops out a script that looks like a thousand others that came before. A truly skilled writer crafts it by hand with details and nuance no one else ever employed.

Christopher Nolan spent ten years writing this script.

I bow down to him.

Jcomp
07-22-2010, 05:56 PM
I'm hesitant to say it will necessarily change things, either for better or worse. I think there might be some attempts to copy that success, but we'll probably see inferior projects with similar monetary ambition, not necessarily similar creativity or patience. Ideally, the next step would be to improve upon what was presented. I love the movie, but there's ample room for improvement. But too often people see a successful flick and then green-light what they think audiences will clamor for.

When Die Hard came out, the action movie model for years afterward was "Die Hard on a _____". Terminator 2 and Jurassic Park opened the door for innumerable inferior CGI-fests. The visuals and ideas in The Matrix suckered its own sequels into the falling into the trap of putting "mind-bending" special effects and cumbersome plotting disguised as "complexity" ahead of thoughtful storytelling, characterization and more well-crafted action.

I think Inception has a lot of potential to have a positive impact on Hollywood, but I'm not ready to believe that will be the case just yet.

Takvah
07-22-2010, 05:58 PM
Is it just me, or does Inception feel like the next evolution of movies and storytelling?

Inception. IMO, this movie has redefined the amount of complexity the audience can handle. Just think about all the things the audience must learn, buy-in to, and understand while the plot is moving forward full steam.

I feel that hollywood has used a certain 'mass marketing brainless audience' model when thinking about the movies they are going to make.

But Inception completely broke the mold in terms of complexity, depth, richness...

Mel...

I agree with everything you said about Inception... and Hollywood. I suppose that I've been around too long to think that Hollywood is going to suddenly bank a bunch of "thinking" movies or that quality will suddenly increase. What Hollywood will do, is what it always does... copy what was successful... over and over again... usually resulting in second rate flicks. There won't be any real originality. I'm not inclined to believe that Hollywood will be better for the success of Inception, instead I take heart in the fact that it will empower Nolan and allow him to do more films like this and perhaps use his weight to back other innovative storytellers.

Somewhere there is an agent pitching Nolan, "We know Leo won't be back for a sequel, so here's what we do..." Thankfully, Chris Nolan is a guy with ideas of his own and hopefully the integrity of Inception will be maintained! :D

Takvah
07-22-2010, 06:00 PM
I'm hesitant to say it will necessarily change things, either for better or worse. I think there might be some attempts to copy that success, but we'll probably see inferior projects with similar monetary ambition, not necessarily similar creativity or patience.

We were typing at the same time and posted similar sentiments within minutes... I could not agree with you more.

katiemac
07-22-2010, 06:21 PM
I think Inception has a lot of potential to have a positive impact on Hollywood, but I'm not ready to believe that will be the case just yet.

The good news is that Despicable Me is also doing very well--and it's completely original. It's not even from a staple animated studio like Pixar or Dreamworks. Maybe it's not breaking any molds, but the coupled successes of Despicable and Inception weekends apart does show studios that audiences are not afraid to shell out money for things they don't already know--and that can only be a good thing.

dgiharris
07-22-2010, 06:59 PM
my point wasn't so much that Inception will transform hollywood (though I know my post came across like that)

my point moreso was to say that Inception will be a watermark moment in film.

And once the audience has had a watermark moment, hollywood needs to try harder in order to achieve same/similar effect.

Or put another way, Inception has raised the bar.

Now, does this mean all of hollywood is going to try to jump over the new bar? No. But what it does mean is that when hollywood throws together another 'futuristic movie dealing with dreams and thoughts' they aren't going to impress the audience with the 'standard' formulas because the first thing the audience is going to do is compare that movie to Inception.

Mel, I agree in your assessmet of watermark films. A few that you left out:

Birth of a Nation
The Shiek
The Jazz Singer
King Kong
It Happened One Night
Bright Eyes
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
The Wizard of Oz
Gone With the Wind
Casablanca
Citizen Cane
On the Water Front

I knew i'd get in trouble for not naming ALL the watermark moments in film ;)

you are right, there are many many more. Each one is responsible for the gradual evolution of film. One of the most notable was Sunset Boulevard.

If memory serves, that was the first film to start off with the ending with the MC floating dead in the pool as he does the narration.

Mel...

Paul
07-22-2010, 07:06 PM
Em, anyone actually get a significant emotional enrichment / challenge from this movie?

(or indeed any emotional engagement?)
Just curious.
Technically, no probs. But, well, there's a little more to life than the technical, no?

Calla Lily
07-22-2010, 07:13 PM
Em, anyone actually get a significant emotional enrichment / challenge from this movie?

(or indeed any emotional engagement?)
Just curious.
Technically, no probs. But, well, there's a little more to life than the technical, no?

I didn't--but I wasn't looking for one. I went to see a puzzle movie, so I expected to be intrigued and captivated.

Check.

I'm avoiding all movies that tug my heart or push my mom-buttons. RL is kinda crazed right now--I want escapism. If I wanted to sob into my chemicalized popcorn, I'd go see Charlie St. Cloud. If I wanted to be enraptured by luuurve, I'd go see... um... I dunno. Is there a Big Romance out now? :) I just want to enjoy myself for my $9. Inception did that.

Paul
07-22-2010, 07:14 PM

/derail

Heck, I'd go so far as to say that this is easily Nolan's most "emotional" movie yet. The usual critique of his previous films is that they are largely emotionless. Memento, The Prestige, Insomnia, they're all more about themes (identity, obsession, guilt). You don't get a deep sense of how characters feel so much as what motivates them. Likewise, Batman as a character is notoriously detached because that's how he has to be to get his work done. The most emotional character in that series thus far ended up being Dent, and to a lesser extent Gordon.

Prob should have read these posts first. oops.

By emotion , I dont mean squishy, squealy , squirmy, hysterical or weepy. I mean an engagement with something of consequence, which causes one to re-examine aspects of one's life.
I think Memento and Insomnia did that. (didnt see Prestige.)
This movie doesn't

Paul
07-22-2010, 07:16 PM
I didn't--but I wasn't looking for one. I went to see a puzzle movie, so I expected to be intrigued and captivated.

Check.

I'm avoiding all movies that tug my heart or push my mom-buttons. RL is kinda crazed right now--I want escapism. If I wanted to sob into my chemicalized popcorn, I'd go see Charlie St. Cloud. If I wanted to be enraptured by luuurve, I'd go see... um... I dunno. Is there a Big Romance out now? :) I just want to enjoy myself for my $9. Inception did that.

Yeah, that's cool. I relate to that. But you know, these 'watershed, wow, greatest movie in decades' etc comments I'm finding hard to relate to.
Maybe it's me...

katiemac
07-22-2010, 07:22 PM
I did. Half the movie is a giant macguffin for Cobb coming to terms with his emotional state. I'm not sure if it's something that completely grabbed me in the first viewing, but I fully expect it will the second time around.

Calla Lily
07-22-2010, 07:23 PM
I mean an engagement with something of consequence, which causes one to re-examine aspects of one's life.

Ew. No offense, but if I think a movie's trying to teach me a Deep Spiritual Lesson--I run.

Inception (and Prestige) gave me several hours' of entertainment and made my brain work (in a pleasant way) to try and solve the problem along with the characters. I didn't see Memento or Insomnia. (Isn't Memento about the guy with memory loss trying to solve his wife's rape? Ew, ew, ew.)

katiemac
07-22-2010, 07:36 PM
Insomnia is good, not my favorite; but callalilly, watch Memento. For serious.

Jcomp
07-22-2010, 09:43 PM
Ew. No offense, but if I think a movie's trying to teach me a Deep Spiritual Lesson--I run.

Similar here. I don't know that I've ever seen a movie that made me think "Wow, I need to evaluate my life and philosophy and direction," and I tend to dislike any movie's effort to do so. Some of the consensus best movies of all time don't register on an emotional level deep enough to change one's life. There isn't anything I can directly relate to in The Godfather anymore than in Inception.

An experience like that seems like it could completely by accident anyway, and doesn't necessarily indicate the quality of the film. The Final Destination movies could reinforce the whole "live for the day because any little decision can eventually lead to an early demise" idea, but those aren't any kind of good movies.

Even with all that said, it's easy to see certain people drawing something "emotionally challenging" from the film, particularly the ending, in which Dobb clearly favors happiness over certainty. He doesn't even wait to see if the top stops spinning, he just goes for the kids as soon as he sees their faces. Whether or not it's a dream isn't even important to him. Some people could take that as a cue to personally examine what's truly important in life--"truth" or "happiness." Now if it doesn't work for you, that's understandable. Doesn't have that impact on me either, but then again, nothing in the realm of film does.

Calla Lily
07-22-2010, 09:49 PM
Oh, I can relate to The Godfather, all right. Watching it is like going to an extended family reunion. :rolleyes: I didn't watch The Sopranos, either. Even from the trailers, I was picking out Aunt Concetta, Uncle Antonio, etc. etc.

The last movie that gave me a deep awakening was Dracula 2000. The awakening was that I wanted to jump Gerard Butler's bones. :e2brows:

Heck, even Passion of the Christ only moved me to deep nausea. And I'm kinda a Jesus freak.

DeleyanLee
07-22-2010, 09:56 PM
The last movie that gave me a deep awakening was Dracula 2000. The awakening was that I wanted to jump Gerard Butler's bones. :e2brows:

QFT. Totally.

Calla Lily
07-22-2010, 10:17 PM
Get in line. :D

DeleyanLee
07-22-2010, 10:21 PM
I think we're both behind SP--she has the homefield advantage, after all.

*sigh*

Calla Lily
07-22-2010, 10:39 PM
I'm devious.

Smileycat
07-23-2010, 01:13 AM
Smileycat. That's a really interesting take. I hadn't thought of that, but it makes sense whether he is or isn't dreaming at the end. For the moment, I'm leaning toward "isn't," but I reserve the right to change my mind after every subsequent viewing...

Hi, Jcomp. Well, after I read the article at Yahoo, I thought about it, and tried to figure out psychologically why he wouldn't want to see the top stop spinning. It would be because he didn't want to stop seeing his children.

Smileycat
07-23-2010, 01:14 AM

Yes, he did, but he warns you first.

Smileycat
07-23-2010, 01:17 AM

Mel...

I got that impression after seeing Nolan's Memento.

katiemac
07-23-2010, 08:59 AM
Just came back from my second viewing.

Still awesome, perhaps even more so. More emotional the second time around.

I'm still not totally sure what I think of the ending. I still say no matter what it doesn't matter, but as mentioned before, the kids ARE wearing the same clothes. Not throughout the whole movie, but in his memory/dream right before he leaves them, and then at the end, it's the same clothes. And when he's in the hotel room talking to the kids on the phone, the girl sounds like she's supposed to be a lot older--I'd picked that up the first time around but kind of forgot. I'll keep an eye out for the wedding ring stuff the third time.

Plot hole? Cobb was in limbo longer than Saito; Cobb aged, but Saito aged more...? Did he go a level deeper--super limbo? He did wash up on the shore a second time...

To answer one of callalily's questions from way up, the top fell once... when Cobb had the gun in the hotel, right before the kids called. As though he was going to shoot himself if the top never stopped.

kuwisdelu
07-23-2010, 09:05 AM
Mmm, just saw this.

Damn good movie.

Personally, I was hoping Nolan would keep more hidden from the audience and leave more up to be a reflection of the viewer. In other words, from the hype, I was hoping it would be a little more complicated/esoteric than it was. Still damn good, though.

I'm not sure that's quite what Paul meant.

"an engagement with something of consequence, which causes one to re-examine aspects of one's life" doesn't necessarily mean the director is trying to force-feed any particular world view or "Deep Spiritual Lesson." The best art instead takes in what the viewer puts into it ó his or her own life experiences, views, thoughts, and ruminations ó*and reflects them back in a different light, rather than simply being a outlet for any single idea. Actually, a lot like the idea of inception itself. The idea comes from the viewer/dreamer, rather than the inceptor(?)/director and grows like a benevolent cancer in the mind.

This movie probably does that for many people, and that's what makes it good. Me? I see where Paul is coming from (I think), and I would have liked to see more developed about Cobb's and his wife's struggle with reality first hand, while they were still in their world.

dgiharris
07-23-2010, 09:25 AM
.... Me? I see where Paul is coming from (I think), and I would have liked to see more developed about Cobb's and his wife's struggle with reality first hand, while they were still in their world.

Personally, when I take a step back and look at all the things this movie accomplishes, I am beyond amazed.

This movie has so much info, plot, and complexity that i'm not sure you can add 'more time with the wife in their world' without spoiling the recipe.

From our pespective, sure, it would seem like such a simple thing to add, but from the writer/director perspective, this movie already does so much, that trying to add more would be like trying to fit one more ingredient into Heinz 57 sauce...

BOOM, now, instead of 57 ingredients that taste great together in perfect harmony, you now have a mess of 58 ingredients all fighting each other and souring the overall sauce.

Mel...

kuwisdelu
07-23-2010, 09:43 AM
Personally, when I take a step back and look at all the things this movie accomplishes, I am beyond amazed.

This movie has so much info, plot, and complexity that i'm not sure you can add 'more time with the wife in their world' without spoiling the recipe.

From our pespective, sure, it would seem like such a simple thing to add, but from the writer/director perspective, this movie already does so much, that trying to add more would be like trying to fit one more ingredient into Heinz 57 sauce...

BOOM, now, instead of 57 ingredients that taste great together in perfect harmony, you now have a mess of 58 ingredients all fighting each other and souring the overall sauce.

Mel...

I think some of the action could have been sacrificed for it, but most people probably wouldn't like that....

Paul
07-23-2010, 12:28 PM
I woke up from a dream...thought i heard my name mentioned.

em ,yeah, look it's a nice puzzle type movie, it sorta asks 'what's real n whats not' or 'is anything real' or 'do we sacrifice reality for fantasy in our lives'
but folks, c'mon, it's mostly about Escher stairs, running up walls, and amazing graphics. which is fine, but you know, that's it. It aint no new cinematic departure. no sir, no how.

ps, as for the 'emotion' thing, I'm making the point that this movie is essentially a puzzle conundrum thingy. which to me, whilst interesting in the world of art, is more at home in the world of pure entertainment. in short that's what this movie is - a bit of entertainment, whereas two of his other movies I know of, had quite a bit more to offer. Mind you, with all this publicity, it'll prob do better than anything else this year, which is nice for such a good director.

Jcomp
07-23-2010, 05:17 PM
Just came back from my second viewing.

Still awesome, perhaps even more so. More emotional the second time around.

I'm still not totally sure what I think of the ending. I still say no matter what it doesn't matter, but as mentioned before, the kids ARE wearing the same clothes. Not throughout the whole movie, but in his memory/dream right before he leaves them, and then at the end, it's the same clothes. And when he's in the hotel room talking to the kids on the phone, the girl sounds like she's supposed to be a lot older--I'd picked that up the first time around but kind of forgot.

See, maybe I'm mistaken, but I actually thought the kids clothes changed slightly. I thought the girl's dress was a solid color through the dreams, but was more of a "jumper" with a white undershirt in the last sequence. Likewise I thought the son's shirt was a slightly different color scheme. It's one of the things I was looking pretty hard for, but I could still be mistaken. I thought it was close but with slight differences, like one of those old school "what's the difference" drawings in the newspaper. Just another excuse for me to see it again though... ha.

I think some of the action could have been sacrificed for it, but most people probably wouldn't like that....

Yeah. One of the film's imperfections I'd say is that the last act in the snowbound hospital/fortress seemed to have some gratuitous "action for summer blockbuster's sake" that kind of caused that final act to drag. While it was sort of cool to see Eames go all badass one-man-army on Fischer's tricked subconscious, I wasn't terribly interested in gunplay at that point. From an intensity standpoint, I was much more impressed and enthralled with the zero-gravity "kick" being delivered at the hotel level.

Jcomp
07-23-2010, 05:21 PM
but folks, c'mon, it's mostly about Escher stairs...

Penrose stairs. Come on man, if you must insist the movie is only a puzzle at least get it's puzzle-maker-references spot on!

katiemac
07-23-2010, 05:24 PM
See, maybe I'm mistaken, but I actually thought the kids clothes changed slightly. I thought the girl's dress was a solid color through the dreams, but was more of a "jumper" with a white undershirt in the last sequence. Likewise I thought the son's shirt was a slightly different color scheme. It's one of the things I was looking pretty hard for, but I could still be mistaken. I thought it was close but with slight differences, like one of those old school "what's the difference" drawings in the newspaper. Just another excuse for me to see it again though... ha.I was looking for it this time around. James always wears plaid; Phillapa always a dress, and throughout the movie the clothes do change (I think there are two outfits). In his memory when he leaves them, and then at the very end, I do think they're the same outfits--but it's totally possible you're right about the "spot the difference," and they are slightly changed.

I love the wedding ring thing, because more than once I noticed the direction focusing on his ring. I just never thought to look for it in some places and not others. Nolan also has that tendency to flash forward and back, little snippets here and there, so I wondered if instead of showing flashbacks to his memory in those quick snippets he was actually showing flash forwards to the ending. He did that a lot in The Prestige, and kept some of that style in Inception.

ps, as for the 'emotion' thing, I'm making the point that this movie is essentially a puzzle conundrum thingy. which to me, whilst interesting in the world of art, is more at home in the world of pure entertainment. in short that's what this movie is - a bit of entertainment, whereas two of his other movies I know of, had quite a bit more to offer. Mind you, with all this publicity, it'll prob do better than anything else this year, which is nice for such a good director.Is this the most emotional movie ever? No. But the second time around I did get teary at one point. So... yeah. The puzzle is awesome, and that is why I will continue to love Nolan's movies, but this movie is not strictly a touch-and-go action flick. But it also doesn't have to be emotional for everyone. I read a review last week where the reviewer said in the hands of lesser actors this film could very much be a blank emotional state. But Marion Cotilliard and Leonardo killed their roles.

Calla Lily
07-23-2010, 06:32 PM
Did anyone besides me catch the "these ain't nice people" moment at the end?

(Apologies in advance. I'm at work and don't remember character names at the moment.)

They crawl out of the water and are sitting, soaked and exhausted, on the bank. The son (the "mark") says to his godfather something like, "I'm going to make my dad proud. I'm going to break up his empire and build one on my own." The godfather smiles, the dramatic violin music swells, and the godfather turns into the shapeshifting guy.

But that wasn't a teary reconciliation moment! We were played! They f***ed with his dreams and his brain and made him believe that his father wanted that.

They succeeded in, basically, something evil. For a ruthless corporate emperor who wanted more money and power.

Sure, DiCaprio found his bit of heaven--all in his mind, perhaps, but he was good with that.

In the end, they are in essence as amoral as the team of Presidential fixers from Wag the Dog.

katiemac
07-23-2010, 06:48 PM
Yeah, Eames makes a joke partway through that Fischer should be paying them more than Saito, because they're giving him the catharsis with his father. It isn't a nice trick; they're thieves and criminals, and admit as much. Cobb also doesn't play coy with Ariadne, tells her straight off the bat it's illegal, but like he says to his father, it's got to be her choice. It's not uncommon to root for the bad guy, but at the same time, I don't know if I feel that bad for Fischer, either, even though what they did is pretty sucky. I wonder if it would eat away at him like it did Mal...

Paul
07-23-2010, 07:18 PM
Penrose stairs. Come on man, if you must insist the movie is only a puzzle at least get it's puzzle-maker-references spot on!

hmmmm.

the words 'nit' and 'picking' come to mind...

Paul
07-23-2010, 07:21 PM
In the end, they are in essence as amoral as the team of Presidential fixers from Wag the Dog.

now there's a movie worth talking about. :D

Plot Device
07-23-2010, 07:46 PM
but folks, c'mon, it's mostly about Escher stairs, running up walls, and amazing graphics. which is fine, but you know, that's it. It aint no new cinematic departure. no sir, no how.

Um ... did we watch the same movie???

And do you have any idea how hard it is to write a screenplay?

Paul
07-23-2010, 07:50 PM
And do you have any idea how hard it is to write a screenplay?

Well it depends which software package you use of course, but yeah, I do.

Ahem, anyway to summarise (and escape) movie = entertaining, movie not = cinematic watershed. :gone:

Plot Device
07-23-2010, 07:51 PM
Did anyone besides me catch the "these ain't nice people" moment at the end?

(Apologies in advance. I'm at work and don't remember character names at the moment.)

They crawl out of the water and are sitting, soaked and exhausted, on the bank. The son (the "mark") says to his godfather something like, "I'm going to make my dad proud. I'm going to break up his empire and build one on my own." The godfather smiles, the dramatic violin music swells, and the godfather turns into the shapeshifting guy.

But that wasn't a teary reconciliation moment! We were played! They f***ed with his dreams and his brain and made him believe that his father wanted that.

They succeeded in, basically, something evil. For a ruthless corporate emperor who wanted more money and power.

Sure, DiCaprio found his bit of heaven--all in his mind, perhaps, but he was good with that.

I pondered for a few days the angle of whether or not the age-long struggle of Right vs. Wrong/Good vs. Evil had been served by the accomplishment of planting a lie into Cillian Murphy's brain. And I decided that Right/Good had won out over Wrong/Evil.

1) Cillian Murphy will spend the rest of his life DEEPLY CONVINCED that his father loved him and only wanted the best for him.

(Is that so bad??)

2) Saito prevented one company from becoming the global monopoly on global energy.

(Is that so bad??)

katiemac
07-23-2010, 07:52 PM
Just read an interesting interview with Nolan. He knew the dream concept before the heist concept, and wanted to write it as a heist because he knew he would need a scene where the characters explain what they're going to do. Heists movies always have those scenes. So, when writing the team, he wrote the only creative team he knew: A movie production.

There's the director (Cobb), the producer (Arthur), the set designer (Ariadne), the actor (Eames) and the financier (Saito).

Nolan also says this is his most emotional film, that he started reevaluating his reactions to other films when he realized he responded most to emotion. When he pitched DiCaprio the concept, he pitched it as a film about four different stages of the subconscious, that's a psychoanalysis of a character coming to terms with his past.

More and more layers keep emerging. Even though it's not as perfectly neat as The Prestige, where Nolan's actual direction has a pledge, a turn and a prestige, Inception still has the feeling that the director is setting up us, the audience, just as much as he is the characters.

And at the end, Nolan does the same thing to the audience that Cobb did with Mal--planted the idea that this isn't reality.

Paul
07-23-2010, 07:53 PM
titbit I met Cillian Murphy and friends bout 12 years ago in Galway. Wild bunch, but very nice. (just thought i'd share)

Calla Lily
07-23-2010, 09:39 PM
I pondered for a few days the angle of whether or not the age-long struggle of Right vs. Wrong/Good vs. Evil had been served by the accomplishment of planting a lie into Cillian Murphy's brain. And I decided that Right/Good had won out over Wrong/Evil.

1) Cillian Murphy will spend the rest of his life DEEPLY CONVINCED that his father loved him and only wanted the best for him.

(Is that so bad??)

2) Saito prevented one company from becoming the global monopoly on global energy.

(Is that so bad??)

Yes and yes.

1. Because it ain't true. He's also deeply convinced that his godfather is a scheming manipulative bastard--and he isn't. So that man's life will be ruined and he'll have no idea why.

Here's my line in the sand about lies: Santa Claus. The Easter Bunny. Yes, that dress looks good on you. Yes, that new recipe you tried tastes good. Those kind of lies. Not choosing whose life is twisted and ruined because of money and trying to fix someone else's psyche.

If his father was a miserable, bitter, cold man--well, he's lived with it all his life. Take that, have kids and be the father you always wanted for them. (I've dealt with his kind of situation--not with the parents--and you learn to be strong and do it the way you think it should be done.)

JMO.

2. I don't believe for a New York minute that Saito is all about the altruism. Saito wants to bust up that corp so it'll be easier for him to buy the pieces and make himself Energy Despot. Look at the dream world he built for himself in limbo: he was the ultimate warlord. That's what Inception 2 can be about: planting the same idea in Saito's kid's head. And on and on.

katiemac
07-23-2010, 09:45 PM
2. I don't believe for a New York minute that Saito is all about the altruism.

Same.

Diana Hignutt
07-23-2010, 09:54 PM
Didn't Dom actually use inception to convince Saito that the world wasn't real to get him out of limbo? Therefore, after he wakes, wouldn't Saito always be convinced that the world isn't real?

DeleyanLee
07-23-2010, 10:03 PM
2. I don't believe for a New York minute that Saito is all about the altruism.

Actually this is why my friend maintains this is all a dream.

In order inception to work, you have to boil it down to the simplest, positive form and plant it so it'll grow naturally. What's more simple and positive than attempting to stop a company from monopolizing the world's energy supplies? She maintains that threat is far too simple in an otherwise fairly complex story. Thus, it's a seed planted at some point by someone in someone else's (she thinks Dom's), which feeds into the natural human need to be the center of one's own story.

She has other points (ie: Ellen Page is the best of the best of the best of the best, comes on board AND is instantly all over helping him fix his problem--is she a projection of his subconscious trying to lift Dom out of limbo?) that she thinks makes the arguement that none of it was ever reality, so it really doesn't matter if the top stops spinning or not at the end.

Personally, I dislike her take on it, but it is interesting.

Jcomp
07-23-2010, 10:07 PM
Well, I don't think you have to wait until the ending for the "these aren't nice people" moment. They're admittedly criminals hacking people's brains for secrets. Saito is perfectly willing to give Cobb and his partner the opportunity to kill the previous architect who attempted to sell them out. I wouldn't go so far as to call it "evil," but yeah... these are unsavory characters. It is a heist flick, after all.

If his father was a miserable, bitter, cold man--well, he's lived with it all his life. Take that, have kids and be the father you always wanted for them. (I've dealt with his kind of situation--not with the parents--and you learn to be strong and do it the way you think it should be done.)

I mean, that's all well and good and ideal, but there seems to be no indication that the younger Fischer character has any inclination to do anything but dwell on his daddy issues (puts a picture near the bed, dwells in the dream world on how his father was "disappointed," etc.) And if we're taking Saito's word at face value, while he's definitely a tycoon in it for himself, he's also calling on Cobb's team to prevent Fischer's company from practically monopolizing global energy, which can't be good.

I think it falls in line with all of Nolan's non-Batman flicks in that the line between "good" and "bad" is, at best, squiggly...

Jcomp
07-23-2010, 10:11 PM
In order inception to work, you have to boil it down to the simplest, positive form and plant it so it'll grow naturally.

Well, it doesn't have to be positive. Cobb wants the seed for Fischer's inception to be positive because he thinks it's a stronger, better source of emotion. But that also might be because he performed inception on Mal with the not-exactly-positive thought that the life they've lived together in the ideal world of their limbo is a lie, and they need to wake up from it to join the real world. The experience he had with planting a not-so-positive idea and its eventual result could be a major factor into why he wants to plant a "positive" notion in Fischer's head.

katiemac
07-23-2010, 10:26 PM
Didn't Dom actually use inception to convince Saito that the world wasn't real to get him out of limbo? Therefore, after he wakes, wouldn't Saito always be convinced that the world isn't real?

I didn't get this take on it. Their conversation just sparked Saito's desire to return to the real world, be a young man again, a copy of a conversation they'd had earlier. Mal was so caught up in the dream, Cobb had to perform inception on her to get her out--I don't think Saito was ever as emphatic that the dream world was real.

Diana Hignutt
07-23-2010, 10:53 PM
I didn't get this take on it. Their conversation just sparked Saito's desire to return to the real world, be a young man again, a copy of a conversation they'd had earlier. Mal was so caught up in the dream, Cobb had to perform inception on her to get her out--I don't think Saito was ever as emphatic that the dream world was real.

Fair enough.

DeleyanLee
07-23-2010, 11:03 PM
My take on Saito was that he wasn't a pro-dream-team guy like the others were. He was the client who wanted to make certain, first hand, that the job had been done instead of believing a report--and Cobb had to agree because he had a time limit with the plane trip.

Thus, he didn't have the skills necessary to get back once he died in the polar level--they revived Fischer, but not Siato. He was dependent on the team to rescue him if he had a shot at all.

katiemac
07-23-2010, 11:45 PM
She has other points (ie: Ellen Page is the best of the best of the best of the best, comes on board AND is instantly all over helping him fix his problem--Ariadne was there for us, the audience. They had to teach the operation to someone so we could learn. She's also the one who asked most of the questions when they were in the dream worlds, because she shouldn't have even been in there in the first place. But when she was, logically, Ariadne should have taken Fischer to the middle of the complex in the third layer instead of Saito, but Cobb wanted her with him. Not only did Cobb want her to keep him in check, but we needed her with him to make sense of Cobb and Mal.

YukonMike
07-24-2010, 05:50 AM
A sign of a great movie -- I saw it last night and 24 hours later I'm still thinking about it.

An amazing film. How Christopher Nolan simultaneously balanced the action going on reality and four different dream levels is incredable. (Kudos to the editor!).

Everyone went crazy last year for Avatar -- a film with great special effects but a plot I've seen many times before (Dances With Wolves, Pocahontas, etc...)

Inception has the rare quality of being a mainstream action film that is not afraid to assume the audience is smart and can handle a complex story.

YukonMike
07-24-2010, 05:54 AM
Four Word Film Reviews for the movie Inception:

"Page lands dream job."
"R.E.M.-ming town, steal."
"R.E.M.-ission impossible."
"Criminal minds."

kuwisdelu
07-24-2010, 06:33 AM
Four Word Film Reviews for the movie Inception:

"Page lands dream job."
"R.E.M.-ming town, steal."
"R.E.M.-ission impossible."
"Criminal minds."

"Hollywood gets its 'kick.' "

Enzo
07-24-2010, 01:10 PM
Still brilliant. It's up there with Memento, Snatch, The Matrix, Benjamin Button, Stranger than Fiction ...
Funny how they kept playing Piaf in a Marion Cotillard movie.

Plot Device
07-24-2010, 04:27 PM

:roll:

DeleyanLee
07-24-2010, 05:44 PM
Ariadne was there for us, the audience. They had to teach the operation to someone so we could learn.

That's the writer's reason for having her in the story. That's not a story reason for her being in the story.

Personally, I agree with your assessment. My friend just has a different interpretation of the subtext of the movie than I/we do.

Jcomp
07-24-2010, 08:02 PM

Genius.

rhymegirl
07-25-2010, 01:23 AM
I'm going to see this movie tomorrow. I'll let you know what I think.

Diana Hignutt
07-25-2010, 04:21 AM
Saw it again. Even better the second time.

Zoombie
07-25-2010, 04:35 AM
Okay, wait...is DiCaprio's character named Cobb or Dob or Dom?

Diana Hignutt
07-25-2010, 04:45 AM
Okay, wait...is DiCaprio's character named Cobb or Dob or Dom?

Dom Cobb

Zoombie
07-25-2010, 05:05 AM
MY BRAIN IS COLLAPSING IN ON ITSELF!