Rock Competition Question

Kosh

Will Write for Food
Registered
Reaction score
Website
negrobrooding.blogspot.com
I'm writing a story about a Rock competition, and I just wanted to know... What do you do about the drums? Is there a standard drum set, or do band bring their own sets?

If the latter, how are drums moved on and off stage? Do competitions allow a lot of time for bands to set up?

I'm concede vast ignorance on this subject, so any information will help.

Tsu Dho Nimh

Registered
Reaction score
Bands usually bring their own. For fast set-up, the drums are set up backstage, on a platform with wheels. You roll it to the designated spot, which is marked with tape, and lock the wheels. It's usually an elevated platform so the audience can see the drummer.

Mikes, guitars and keyboards have connectors, numbered so the roady or stage crew can hook them up to the right cable that goes to the sound board.

When people are working that way, it only takes a few minutes between bands.One drum set rolls off as the next one rolls on, the band unplugs their equipment and walks off to one side and the next group walks on waving and drawing attention on the other side.

Adding: drum setups are specific to the size of the drummer. Arm length counts, as does height. If you can't roll on your set, it takes a while for all the height adjusting and position changes. They are not watching where the sticks go, it's all muscle memory.

Last edited: