PDA

View Full Version : query different agents from same firm

iwannabepublished
06-16-2010, 06:56 PM
During my review of agent websites I have found many with several agents. If I am rejected by one agent is it okay to query a different one from the same firm? I, of course, make sure that the agents I query are interested in the genre of my story. Do agents in the same firm share notes? So, if one decides they don't like my story do they tell their coworkers not to bother?

ChaosTitan
06-16-2010, 07:08 PM
It really depends on the agency. Some agencies have pitch meetings, where potential projects are shared with all of the other agents and group decisions are made. Some let their agents pick and choose their own clients. I do know that some agents state that if they feel it's a better fit for another agent at their agency, they'll pass it along to them.

I suppose that unless the agency guidelines specifically state to not query multiple agents, it's okay to do so after a rejection if more than one agent handles your genre.

stormie
06-16-2010, 07:20 PM
What Chaos said.

Ryan_Sullivan
06-17-2010, 12:35 AM
Yep. For example: Andrea Brown Literary - only query one person per project. Writers House - query however many you want, but one at a time.

iwannabepublished
06-17-2010, 05:56 PM
Thanks. Funny you mentioned Writers House - that's one I was thinking about.

Ryan_Sullivan
06-18-2010, 12:34 AM
Yeah, query away, but not at the same time. And, I think some of the agents in NY might be shared, etc. So, it might be best to limit yourself in WH.