• Read this: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?288931-Guidelines-for-Participation-in-Outwitting-Writer-s-Block

before you post.

My cure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kikilynn

You can find me on occasion.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.goodreader.wordpress.com
I had writers block for nine months, wrote about sixty pages, then had it again for six months. It was really rough on me. I figured out that if i overload my brain with facts, it wants to escape and suddenly i become creative again. I bought some SAT flashcards and when i get blocked i sit down and answer as many of the math questions as i have to before im suddenly in la la land again. It might not work for everyone, but sometimes you just need an escape from your escape.

jaksen

Caped Codder
Registered
Reaction score
In MA, USA, across from a 17th century cemetery
Wow. Nine months. You could have had (another) baby in that time. I think I'd shoot myself, but...

Tuning out the external world helps me. Headphones ftw. And a caring and respectful spouse who will deal with the kids (three) and any and all distractions.

So headphones. And if you can't write with music playing (some people can't), listen to the sounds of the sea or other 'natural sounds.'

Hope you are back to writing!

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Haha! If I forced myself to do math problems I'd be looking for ANY excuse to get writing again.

*looks at old calculus books* Hmmm.....

Chasing the Horizon

Blowing in the Wind
Registered
Reaction score
Heh. I wish I could do with a simple solution like that. I prevent writer's block by having tons of WIPs. No way can I not have a single idea or inspiration for all 8 novels. The downside is that I often feel like I'm spinning my wheels because my work is being spread throughout so many projects. I've written well over 300k this year and only finished one book . . .

Reaction score
The Best Place In The World...Absolute Write!!
My cure is this. Start a chapter. Write one main idea. Write another main idea. And another. That way you have an idea of what the chapter is going to be like, the scenes. Expand each main idea. That's what usually works for me when I'm blocked. I can't stop writing when I'm blocked because if I do I won't ever finish any of my incomplete works.

GVChamp

dirty statist
Registered
Reaction score
This might work. I've been having a bit of motivation difficulty lately, and I find my mind drawn back towards my other passion (see the signature).

So you just spam your brain with facts? Are you a big math person?

Though I guess part of my problem is I like to TALK about economics....

Poor PCE is going to spammed soon, I imagine...

GVChamp

dirty statist
Registered
Reaction score
Say what? :Shrug:

This person goes over math SAT questions, so I'm wondering whether he/she is a person that really enjoys math. The rest of us might have to try something different, I would guess?

Dusky

Fresh meat!
Registered
Reaction score
Hm, math makes me grumpy, but I guess it'd get me writing! :) I personally like the tuning idea (see above comment by jaksen)

Greenify13

Fair Maiden of War.
Registered
Reaction score
Oh dear, I had some sort of writers block for over nine months! Luckily I was pregnant during this time and now I wonder if I had baby brains. I'm still not completely back on my game, but I like your thinking. Although I think I'll swap math out for something else like history or science. Something! Way to go for kicking things back in to play!!

Jabberwokky

Registered
Reaction score
Website
koshii.blogspot.com
I sometimes do the same thing. After practically going blind from looking at formulas all day my mind naturally starts to fantasise about cool story ideas. It can be inconvenient when I'm trying to study for a test, but otherwise it's a welcome break.

Another way I get inspiration is by reading poorly written books or watching bad movies. It just starts me thinking of ways to fill the plot holes or characters that could have made the story more interesting. After a while, those ideas just take a life of their own.

SueLahna

Registered
Reaction score
Website
wordvagabond.com
Its not really a cure, but I tend to write when my life goes to hell/get really freaking stressed out. Its like my brain says "Screw this I'm just gonna go write, later!"
This makes things very difficult when finals come around x.x

Status
Not open for further replies.