Regarding "Similar Titles" when pitching, what if there's a book nearly identical?

Status
Not open for further replies.

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
Last year, I thought about writing a book about how to buy an old car, and after asking around, I was encouraged to do it. So, I wrote a proposal and outline and roughed out a couple of chapters. I also researched the market and didn't see any other book like the one I wanted to write. Cool! There was a niche. I verbally pitched the idea to one publisher, they liked it, but eventually, nothing came of it. Meanwhile, I was finishing the rewrites of my novel and querying it, and doing other stuff.

Then last month I wrote a new query for the car book and started querying it. I did another google search and discovered that somehow I had missed the one "competing" title that belonged in the proposal. Specifically, this book is exactly what I propose to write. It was published by Haynes (automotive book publisher) in 2006. It's written by an expert, too.

So now I'm wondering if I'm wasting my time with this project, because currently I am rewriting and revising my sample chapters.

Thing is, I don't think this other book's in print. It's not listed on Haynes website, amazon is out of stock ("available from these sellers") and it's not an easy title to find just by googling the subject. It's also written from one guy's perspective.

So, the one big competing title is likely out of print and unavailable. This suggests that it didn't sell enough and therefore Haynes discontinued it. Which possibly means there isn't a big enough market for it.

OTOH, it means there's less competition for a book like mine to be published today.

I've altered the proposal to show that the existing book is written from one guy's perspective. My title is different because mine will include a variety of perspectives because I plan to interview a lot of different experts and hobbyists, whose opinions will help shape the book. That's one key reason why I think my book will be different than the already published book on the subject. But, as I said, it's unavailable.

Thoughts? Is the fact that the competing book being out of print an issue? Is that a bad thing or good thing? Should I continue to query or not worry about it so much?

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Are you able to get a copy of this book? Interlibrary loan, eBay, etc.? It sounds like you've done your homework on it already, and are confident your book brings something this other book didn't.

Without knowing exactly why this other 4-yo book is out of print, you really can't draw any conclusions. Maybe there was no market for the old book, but maybe author is a dweeb and is suing Haynes for higher royalties. My suggestion is to discuss the competing book in your proposal (as you did), make no bones about it being out of print, and let the publisher/agent decide what that means.

CraftyCreations411

Registered
Reaction score
I know absolutely nothing about cars - old, new, whatever. I know where the gas goes, the oil goes, and the water and that's the extent of my knowledge. When it comes to buying a car, I leave that decision to my husband - he knows a lot more than I will ever know.

Now, with that out of the way, the idea sounds interesting to me. If my husband were to pass away, I'd have no idea how to check out a car. Your book sounds like it would be a great help to me and others who aren't car savvy.

I like the idea of different perspectives. Each person seems to have their own way of determining what's good and what's bad.

If this other book only has one man's perspective, do you know if he mentions the many different ways to look at things to determine if a vehicle is any good? Does he mention just the main things like brakes, engine, transmission? Does he mention anything about the cosmetics - looking for rust, bondo, that type thing?

I really like the idea of your book, just from what you've posted, it sounds like it would be better received.

Try it. Query it.

Good luck.

Candy

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
Are you able to get a copy of this book? Interlibrary loan, eBay, etc.? It sounds like you've done your homework on it already, and are confident your book brings something this other book didn't. . . My suggestion is to discuss the competing book in your proposal (as you did), make no bones about it being out of print, and let the publisher/agent decide what that means.
I am hesitant to search out this book through the library simply because I don't want to "accidentally" borrow on any of it, if you know what I mean. OTOH, it would be helpful to know firsthand how my book is different. And regarding the proposal, I didn't say the book was out of print, but yeah, I should mention it. Who knows why, though?

If this other book only has one man's perspective, do you know if he mentions the many different ways to look at things to determine if a vehicle is any good? Does he mention just the main things like brakes, engine, transmission? Does he mention anything about the cosmetics - looking for rust, bondo, that type thing?
No idea, but from the blurbs I read on the author's website, it looks like he goes over these things, at least I think so. And I didn't go into detail in the first post, but the book is about how to buy an antique car. It's for someone who likes old cars, but doesn't know anything about them.

I figure that if the competing book is out of print, and last published in 2006, then times have changed enough for a new book on the subject. Maybe today, in 2010/2011 prospective buyers have to be more careful with their spending when shopping around for an old car (compared to 2006, when the economy was better). This book would show them how.

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
I am hesitant to search out this book through the library simply because I don't want to "accidentally" borrow on any of it, if you know what I mean. OTOH, it would be helpful to know firsthand how my book is different. And regarding the proposal, I didn't say the book was out of print, but yeah, I should mention it. Who knows why, though?

Please clarify. Is your work about old cars or antique, collectible cars? Obviously, there's an enormous difference.

I don't see what choice you have but to read the book you refer to since you speak of it in your query and accordingly and as a professional your research of same should enable you to answer just about any question which might come your way from an agent or editor. In addition, if it's good and covers what you are thinking of, why waste your time? Personally, no matter what, I think your book might be very difficult to sell to a publisher. Most who buy antique cars either have a pretty good idea about what they are doing, or align themselves with others (and organizations) who specialize in same Most used cars buyers who spend let's say $500 to $10,000 aren't equipped to evaluate a car and mostly reply on an inspection by an auto mechanic. But I could be way off since I have no idea what your book is about.

[/QUOTE/]
s

Last edited:

the addster

Registered
Reaction score
Website
addiepray.wordpress.com
This may be a little off from your original question, but something occurred to me reading your post.

I'm probably what you'd call a serious car hobbyist. I've got a lot of books from Haynes, Peterson, etc. on the bookshelf in my garage. I already know how to buy a car. The only reason I might buy your book is because some guy on a message board I frequent wrote it.

I wonder if the similar book didn't sell well, if that is why it's out of print, because Haynes published it. Would it have done better, and would yours do better, coming from a general interest publisher? Maybe someone that markets their titles where folks who aren't car people might be more likely to pick it up? I don't know the For Dummies stuff, or something.

Keep in mind this is coming from somebody who knows nothing about automotive publishing.

As for the competing title, I'd say getting your hands on it would be good, as suggested. Then you can really let them know why yours is better.

CraftyCreations411

Registered
Reaction score
Told you I didn't know anything about cars! :D I even misread your post and I do apologize. There are a lot of car enthusiasts here. My husband and I saw a '39 Nelson, I think is what he called it. Nice looking car.

Again, I;m sorry I misread your post.

Candy

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
Please clarify. Is your work about old cars or antique, collectible cars? Obviously, there's an enormous difference.
In this context, it's old/antique/collector. The book is about how to buy an antique car. Any car over 25 years old is technically an antique, but not all antique cars are collector cars. This book doesn't teach how to buy a 1965 Mustang specifically.

if it's good and covers what you are thinking of, why waste your time? Personally, no matter what, I think your book might be very difficult to sell to a publisher. Most who buy antique cars either have a pretty good idea about what they are doing, or align themselves with others (and organizations) who specialize in same Most used cars buyers who spend let's say $500 to $10,000 aren't equipped to evaluate a car and mostly reply on an inspection by an auto mechanic.
Regarding "wasting my time," actually I'm devoting very little time to this until it sells. If it sells. I'm preparing only the first two or three chapters. If it sells, then I'll do the research and necessary interviews. Secondly, this book's target readership is the person who wants to buy an old "antique" car and who knows nothing about them. And there are a lot of people like this, like I was once. I've met people like this at car shows and cruise-ins. This book will help people interested in the hobby make an informed choice.

I wonder if the similar book didn't sell well, if that is why it's out of print, because Haynes published it. Would it have done better, and would yours do better, coming from a general interest publisher? Maybe someone that markets their titles where folks who aren't car people might be more likely to pick it up? I don't know the For Dummies stuff, or something.
This is exactly what I'm thinking. Not all Haynes books are sold in bookstores. Most are sold in auto parts stores. If I'm looking for a general book on cars, I'll go to Borders and look on the shelves. This is why I think this book would do best with a general interest publisher.

CraftyCreations411

Registered
Reaction score
I just found this and was wondering if it might help in determining if a book is out of print:

Each publishing house uses different standards to determine when a book goes out of print. At some houses, if the initial print run doesn't sell off within six months, the book is out of print. And at some houses, if the initial print run doesn't sell off immediately, the book is considered out of print. Some publishing houses will continue to sell warehouse stock over a period of time, thus allowing a book to remain in print, and thus possibly sell enough copies to eventually earn royalties.

That quote comes from this site: http://www.tarakharper.com/faq_ctrc.htm

Candy

Status
Not open for further replies.