PDA

View Full Version : Why you should write a series. :)

Mishell
06-15-2010, 05:22 PM
Russell Galen of Scovil Galen Ghosh Literary Agency has a beautiful post up on the Clarion Blog about how the "series" concept and its benefits can work for any author if you're willing to embrace it. Definitely worth reading if he's on your submission list. http://bit.ly/aBOnc0

While you're there, check out Matt Bialer's guest spot from last month, too. :) http://bit.ly/bOgUEy

shaldna
06-16-2010, 03:56 PM
thanks for posting.

Dawn Hebein
06-16-2010, 05:31 PM
This is awesome if it's true. :D Thanks for sharing.

Bufty
06-16-2010, 06:43 PM
So what's new? Am I missing something?

Hasn't everybody always tended to buy books by a favourite author or because they like to follow the adventures of a particular character created by that author?

I don't interpret that article as suggesting one deliberately starts out to write an 'epic' that spans several books.

kaitiepaige17
06-16-2010, 06:58 PM
:) I love writing "stand alones" when they have series potential, because that's what I love to read. Hopefully I can get a series published one day.

Mishell
06-16-2010, 08:11 PM
So what's new?

I think the most interesting thing in the article is what he leads off with - that while sales of books in general are going down right now, authors who write series are actually doing better than before.

As he says at the end, you don't have to use this to your advantage, but if you're interested in boosting your sales, it is something to consider. There are all kinds of gray areas between the extremes of writing "only for yourself" and being a sellout. If you can use the series idea (or some facet of it) while still staying true to your own style and passion, then it seems like a win-win.

Bufty
06-16-2010, 09:25 PM
I think I get what you mean.

But a first time author hasn't written a series. And he can't claim to have done so until it exists, and if it does and the author's novels sell, the demand has presumably been created by the readers' liking for the author's style or by the readers' attachment to the character(s), or both - which seems to me to be nothing new - and something everyone already aims for.

Mishell
06-17-2010, 07:42 PM
Yes, but a savvy agent can see if a book has series potential, and it might not be a bad idea to phrase your query in such a way that the potential is a bit more obvious. :) Fantasy authors can present the world so that it looks rich and complex - mystery authors can present the character in such a way that he/she obviously has the potential to take on multiple cases, etc.