Salvadoran Insulting Someone From Honduras - Any Suggestions?

JulieHowe

Spent the night with Jack Daniels
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm turning to the experts once again. Everyone here on AW has always been incredibly helpful. Thanks in advance. :)

I need an insult used by a person from El Salvador against someone born in Honduras. The time frame is 1974, and my character is still bitter about the outcome of the 1969 football war, la guerra del fútbol (a real-life event).

My character, a naturalized American citizen from El Salvador, is talking to her husband, a Mexican-American (this detail matters only because an insult from Mexican slang would also be appropriate in this context.) I'm toying with something along the lines of chupa aguacateros, which very loosely means a pack of stray dogs who get together for the sole purpose of getting drunk.

I already know the word katracho, which is used positively by Hondurans to describe their own culture. I'm looking for something mean and spiteful, LOL.

hammerklavier

It was a dark and stormy night
Registered
Reaction score
Did one side accuse the other of cheating in this soccer match? You might want to bring that in.

JulieHowe

Spent the night with Jack Daniels
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Did one side accuse the other of cheating in this soccer match? You might want to bring that in.

The soccer match was actually the last straw in developing tensions between the two countries. Mostly, Hondurans were concerned about the economic situation in their country, problems which many believed were caused by the 300,000 or so illegal El Salvadorans who had crossed over the border into Honduras. During a World Cup preliminary soccer match in 1969, Honduran and Salvadoran players got into a fight on the field, and the ensuing chaos led to a four-day war betwen the countries, although the tensions were already building towards some kind of an imminent conflict. As far as I know, there were no particular accusations of cheating - just some good old-fashioned ass-kicking on the field during the soccer game.

A friend of mine who works for the Los Angeles public school system, tells me the tensions are still there today, and even in the elementary school where she works, punches have been thrown on the playground, and there's a definite disconnect between Honduran and Salvadoran students.