Pakistani seeking a literary agent

notsonew

Registered
Reaction score
Hiya all,

Hope all of you are enjoying your literary endeavors. I am based out of Pakistan and have completed my debut novel. As you might have guessed, I do not have the know-how of American literary scene and I've been facing difficulties in finding an agent. While I know that rejection rate runs very high but I first need some help in reaching those agents that deal in my type of work. I've gone through some listings on PM etc but I guess most agents are looking for YA, Mid-grade type of work and even others are only interested in American authors.

My novel, of course, is related to Pakistan and Afghanistan with Islamic extremism being its central plot. If anyone of you guys could guide me in this regard and tell me about agents that deal with my type of work?

fairy86

Loose on the internet!
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Notsonew!

A lot of agents do represent YA and MG, but many more rep adult books. Have you posted your query letter and first pages in Share Your Work (SYW)? I found it to be really useful/awesome/uber-wonderful when I started querying my novel. Also, check the Bewares and Background forum on this site, as it gives you so much valuable info about agents and agencies.

Good luck and welcome to AW! :)

ETA: And what WayneK said. :D

Hiya all,

Hope all of you are enjoying your literary endeavors. I am based out of Pakistan and have completed my debut novel. As you might have guessed, I do not have the know-how of American literary scene and I've been facing difficulties in finding an agent. While I know that rejection rate runs very high but I first need some help in reaching those agents that deal in my type of work. I've gone through some listings on PM etc but I guess most agents are looking for YA, Mid-grade type of work and even others are only interested in American authors.

My novel, of course, is related to Pakistan and Afghanistan with Islamic extremism being its central plot. If anyone of you guys could guide me in this regard and tell me about agents that deal with my type of work?

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
:welcome:to AW notsonew.

The first thing you need to do is figure out your genre. Is it action/adventure, Suspense? Like that.

Maybe a short synopsis (oh that word :D) would help

notsonew

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Notsonew!

A lot of agents do represent YA and MG, but many more rep adult books. Have you posted your query letter and first pages in Share Your Work (SYW)? I found it to be really useful/awesome/uber-wonderful when I started querying my novel. Also, check the Bewares and Background forum on this site, as it gives you so much valuable info about agents and agencies.

Good luck and welcome to AW! :)

ETA: And what WayneK said. :D

Thanks for your help. Yes, I've just started going through that Bewares section but first I want to know the agent that will read my work. I'll post my work on SYW section as well.

Best,

notsonew

Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:to AW notsonew.

The first thing you need to do is figure out your genre. Is it action/adventure, Suspense? Like that.

Maybe a short synopsis (oh that word :D) would help

I'm confused with this genre thing. OK, a short synopsis. My novel starts in the 1970s in the tribal areas of Pakistan with a nine year old boy who has just been crowned as the head of his clan after his father's death in a tribal clash. The second character is a young journalist from Lahore who is supporting military rule and the subsequent Afghan Jihad that was funded by the US and Saudi Arabia. And the third main character is an Egyptian engineer whose cousin is associated with a militant organization. The story moves all the way to 9/11 where two of these characters are personally affected/responsible and ends with their children reaping what their fathers/mothers have sown. It's heavily political and kind of historical in a way and bit controversial too (of course being written by a Muslim writer it is quite controversial).

Stanmiller

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm confused with this genre thing. OK, a short synopsis. My novel starts in the 1970s in the tribal areas of Pakistan with a nine year old boy who has just been crowned as the head of his clan after his father's death in a tribal clash. The second character is a young journalist from Lahore who is supporting military rule and the subsequent Afghan Jihad that was funded by the US and Saudi Arabia. And the third main character is an Egyptian engineer whose cousin is associated with a militant organization. The story moves all the way to 9/11 where two of these characters are personally affected/responsible and ends with their children reaping what their fathers/mothers have sown. It's heavily political and kind of historical in a way and bit controversial too (of course being written by a Muslim writer it is quite controversial).

Welcome. Your work sounds similar in scope to Kite Runner. According to querytracker 'who represents whom' function, Elaine Koster at Elaine Koster Literary is the agent for that author. If you're ready to query, check her first.

--Stan

cate townsend

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, notsonew. Start with seeking out books that are similar to yours, then find out who represented those books. Sometimes the author mentions the agent, other times you have to do some searching online. Also, I recommend checking out Publisher's Marketplace.

Noah Body

Entertainment Ronin
Registered
Reaction score

Sounds very interesting. You want to see if you're ready? Post the first chapter or so in SYW!

notsonew

Registered
Reaction score
Don't limit your options to US agents. There are excellent agents (and publishers) in the UK who may be interested.

Yeah, I am thinking to contact UK agents as well. The only problem is that US agents are so organized and I can easily find links, information and other details but UK agents are rather more conservative I guess. Is there any website on the lines of QT or PM that lists UK agents?

Any help would be appreciated.

Best,

notsonew

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome. Your work sounds similar in scope to Kite Runner. According to querytracker 'who represents whom' function, Elaine Koster at Elaine Koster Literary is the agent for that author. If you're ready to query, check her first.

--Stan

Thanks. Yeah I've visited her Web site. She is only accepting snail mail queries so it will be little difficult for me to send the ms all the way from Pakistan but still I'll try my luck.

Stanmiller

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I am thinking to contact UK agents as well. The only problem is that US agents are so organized and I can easily find links, information and other details but UK agents are rather more conservative I guess. Is there any website on the lines of QT or PM that lists UK agents?

Any help would be appreciated.

Best,

You can search QueryTracker for UK agents alone if you wish. I see 215 if I search for all UK agents.

As for Elaine Koster, I'd say email her with your query. I'm sure she'd love to have another Kite Runner and might make an exception to her snail mail sub policy. The worst she can do is say no.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Why not just send it snail mail like she asks? I'm international as well, and I still send snail mail. It's better to send the way they're requested. The only difficulty is the SASE issue. I had my mom send me stamps from America (two is usually enough), but if that's impossible you could either include international reply coupons or state that because of the international issue you won't be able to include a SASE and ask for a response via email if interested.

Miss Plum

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
In my experience, if you query by snail-mail and the agent wants to know more, they'll ignore the SASE and respond by e-mail -- sometimes even phone. Make sure you include phone and e-mail contact info if you do send a snail mail query.

notsonew, it sounds as though you have a unique and exciting story on your hands. Anyone who's writing about those events from your part of the world should find an ear somewhere in the US publishing industry.

notsonew

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for your suggestions. Yes, I'm thinking to use snail mail with email as the preferred means of communication written in the query.

notsonew

Registered
Reaction score
In my experience, if you query by snail-mail and the agent wants to know more, they'll ignore the SASE and respond by e-mail -- sometimes even phone. Make sure you include phone and e-mail contact info if you do send a snail mail query.

notsonew, it sounds as though you have a unique and exciting story on your hands. Anyone who's writing about those events from your part of the world should find an ear somewhere in the US publishing industry.

Thanks. I only wish I could find that ear :) My work is kind of niche as most agents are not interested in that type of literature. Anyway, I have found some tips thanks to AWers and will follow them during my agent query.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
I lost this thread after I commented, sorry. I see the good people here have picked you up.

Listen to them.

Srsly