PDA

View Full Version : Sorry I've been gone so long, but...

Michael Davis
06-13-2010, 01:48 AM
Been 6 months, but I have a good excuse, really. In Jan, I discovered I had cancer. Since then I've spent 24/7 in the pits of hell going through chemo and radiation treatment. Never realized what people endure in treatment centers to survive. It is some bad ju ju. So whats been going on in my writing world? Well:

- I posted a six part series entitled THE BATTLE that describes my journey to fight the beast. It was released in an ezine and on a multi author blog. If you'd like to read it, go to TheWritersVineyard.com (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/TheWritersVineyard.com) and scroll done, or page back, to all the installments of the series. You might find it enjoyable, and funny. Had some funky things happen to me along the way.

- I found it impossible to write during chemo fog, but I did have a romantic suspense paperback (VEIL OF DECEPTION) and short SF (ESSENCE) released. If you'd like to read reviews, excerpts or videos, you'll find them at Davisstories.com (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/Davisstories.com). If you listen carefully to the FORGOTTEN CHILDREN or BLIND CONSENT video, you can hear the beginning of the tumor on my vocal cords (just thought it was allergies). Yes, I am a lucky guy. I am now at 90% voice and I had dipped to zero by Feb.

- My novel BLIND CONSENT won best romantic suspense and I won Author of the year again, and it did make me smile, when I was awake (the chemo made me sleep 20 hours a day, when I wasn't in the bathroom, if you get my drift, I know, TMI)

- I truly gained a new appreciation of what cancer patients endure to survive. Asolutely surreal. Everyone should spend a few days in a cancer treatment center. You won't experience the 24/7 of pain, but you will gain a new mind set of human suffering, least I did. And how many people are suffering from smoking related cancer, unbeleivable.

- I also inherited a new sprecter, much like Jacob Marley. Not lecturing, but every time I see someone hooked on a tobacco product, it graps at my gut. If they only knew what was in store, not just for them, but those that love them.

I will try and spend more time around the cooler, now that I've returned to the living.

Soccer Mom
06-13-2010, 02:17 AM
Welcome back, Michael. I'm actually going to move this to Goals and Accomplishments because kicking cancer's butt is a huge accomplishment. Winning awards is nifty too, but just still being here is the biggest victory of all. I"m going to leave a permanent link here so your Roundtable friends can see it and click over to G&A to welcome you back.

Calla Lily
06-13-2010, 02:28 AM
You rock for beating cancer. Glad to see you here!

Michael Davis
06-13-2010, 03:30 AM
No problem, SM. And we are hopeful for the "survival" conclusion. Problem with the beast (cancer) is that it can always be in the background, waiting, you just never know. We Meant survivors that had endured 16 years and 3 recurrences. There were akso those that emailed me from my BATTLE series that had been clean 7 years. My neighbor endured 10 months of eshogus cancer (4% survivor at that time) and he is entering his sixth year. Things have changed so much in the last 10 years in terms of survival.

Now, in terms of my results, we are in that wait wait wait mode. Had my first post treatment throat scope and the results were very good, so much so they moved up my PET scan (usually like to wait a couple months because the chemo and radiation continue to work on the cancer cells for 8 to 12 weeks (I have learned so darn much).

After the results of the PET scan wed (probablly get results back in a few days) we know if the beast is in recession. At that point I get scoped once a month for a year, then once every 3 months. Yeah, even after treatment, the poke and probing go on for a long time. Its the price of getting to see my wife, kids and grand daughter another day.

I encourage anyone that hears those frightening words "Cancer" directed at you, do not give up. Find someone to be your champion and prop your spirit up in those depressing moments when your body says your dead and your mind says "I can't endure this anymore!". Yes, I experienced it several times, even us big guys have weak moments. Three weeks after the treatments, I was convinced the pain and fatique would never end, but they did and I feel great. For most, you will come out closer to everyone, even the real big guy, and the days will seem to smell just a little more fragrant. And if you need someone to chat with about it, its not a hollow gesture, just email me at general@Davisstories.com

Later.

Kweei
06-13-2010, 07:26 AM
Go you! :)

PoppysInARow
06-13-2010, 07:34 AM
That's amazing. I'm so glad to hear you're doing bettter. My brother had cancer about eight years ago now, and I saw what it did to him. It's really a horrible illness and I'm so glad to hear that for now, at least, you one upped it. And glad to hear you're so positive too. Keep it up! :)

regdog
06-13-2010, 05:40 PM
Glad you're doing better and much congrats

heyjude
06-14-2010, 03:12 PM
:Hug2: Glad you're back.

Bufty
06-14-2010, 05:47 PM
Good to see you back, Michael. I always think.. There but for the grace...

Phaeal
06-14-2010, 06:42 PM
Kudos to you on a fight well fought.

stormie
06-14-2010, 07:00 PM
Welcome back! You went through hell, but are here to tell about it. That's great news. :)

As for seeing the lung cancer patients who smoked--my husband saw that a lot too. (He was stage 3 colon cancer eight years ago. So far, so good.... :) )

Adam
06-14-2010, 07:01 PM
Dude, you rock. Hard. :D

CaroGirl
06-14-2010, 07:08 PM
Welcome back! Going through such a harrowing trial must put life into a certain perspective. Congratulations on the writing successes and I hope you have many more years of writing ahead of you.

Alpha Echo
06-14-2010, 07:22 PM
Welcome back! I will definitely be checking out THE BATTLE. And wow...congrats on all the writing success!

Snowstorm
06-14-2010, 07:50 PM
Good on you, Michael, and welcome back. Gosh, how many congrats for one person!? Congrats on doing SO well with your treatment.

Hmm, I was getting ready to type "Congrats on winning so many writing awards" when it dawned on me that winning your health is much more important. (I lost a dear neighbor to cancer about a week ago.) A jolt of reality of what's really important?

Best wishes to you and your continued cancer-free state (and congrats on your writing awards too)!

Michael Davis
06-16-2010, 05:29 AM
Thanks everyone, I really mean that.

And CaroGirl, you are so right. It is amazing after you dip into hell you can come out so positive about every thing in life. No, don't mean the suffering, but just...Lord everything appears so much brighter, as corny as it sounds. Even the side affects (inability to taste food, use of flouride rest of your life, etc) they are minor in order to have more time with you wife, kids, friends, and especially my grand daughter.

Appreciate your kind words all.

Later

kaitie
06-16-2010, 03:36 PM
*Hugs* I'm so glad you're doing okay now. That must be a very difficult thing to go through and I can't even begin to imagine. Congrats and here's to staying healthy. :)