Book Sponsors

mmorsepfd

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rescuing-providence.blogspot.com
A reputable publisher is interested in my non-fiction book. The publisher requested I find a sponsor for the work before they sign me on. He suggested I get a sponsor to buy 2000 books for $6.00 each that they (the sponsor) would use as promotional material. Am I being taken for a ride?

Thanks for any input, I can't find any information about this.

Ryan_Sullivan

Agented YA Writer
Registered
Reaction score
In a word, yes. That's basically self-publishing. I've never heard of a reputable non-self-publisher doing that.

Lucy

sky with diamonds
Registered
Reaction score
How reputable is the publisher? It sounds very self-publishing-scammy to me.

JSSchley

Have Harp Will Travel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jessicaschley.com
I agree. Nonfiction houses often ask if the author if s/he had such platforms, because that makes the book more appealing--you can justify a 3,000-copy print run if you know that the author's floral society will probably want to buy 500 copies on top of the ones your distributor gets into the bookstores. So you can expect a question about any special connections you might have; that's totally normal.

But it's just asking about platforms and potential sales, and that's a huge difference. I'd cross-check this publisher on the aforementioned Bewares forum, and on Preditors and Editors, if I were you. That request is not quite on.

mmorsepfd

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rescuing-providence.blogspot.com
Thank you for the input. In all fairness to the publisher, they rejected to manuscript. When I provided additional marketing ideas and asked them to reconsider, the publisher contacted me, explained his situation and suggested I line up some sponsors for the book, completely up to me if i choose to do so.