PDA

View Full Version : Best TV Drama Series?

kaitiepaige17
06-12-2010, 03:50 AM
Now that I finished the forth season of Dexter, I'm looking for a new TV series to watch. Any suggestions? I'm completely in love with everyone's favorite serial killer, but hopefully I'll find another great show to watch while I'm waiting for the fifth season to debut.

katiemac
06-12-2010, 03:52 AM
LOST. I'm finally catching up on Mad Men.

childeroland
06-12-2010, 04:03 AM
Deadwood and The Wire may well be the best drama series ever made. If you haven't seen True Blood yet, you might want to do that. The Tudors is pretty good if historical inaccuracy doesn't bother you.

kaitiepaige17
06-12-2010, 04:13 AM
LOST. I'm finally catching up on Mad Men.

I used to watch Lost but got tired with it never explaining anything. I felt like I was just trying to keep up with everything the whole time, which wasn't very enjoyable.

kaitiepaige17
06-12-2010, 04:14 AM
Deadwood and The Wire may well be the best drama series ever made. If you haven't seen True Blood yet, you might want to do that. The Tudors is pretty good if historical inaccuracy doesn't bother you.

I'm considering True Blood. What's Deadwood about? I've heard several people talking about that one.

Wavy_Blue
06-12-2010, 04:22 AM
Madmen.

maestrowork
06-12-2010, 04:29 AM
Six Feet Under!!

Since it also starred Michael C. Hall.

And by extension True Blood but very different shows, even though both created and written by the same guy.

maestrowork
06-12-2010, 04:33 AM
I used to watch Lost but got tired with it never explaining anything. I felt like I was just trying to keep up with everything the whole time, which wasn't very enjoyable.

It's worth it to stick around with Lost. I got a bit bored with season 3 and 4 but by the end of season 4 it really picked up. The questions - at least the major ones, will be answered. The minor ones are there to hook us and I personally don't care if they're answered or not.

kaitiepaige17
06-12-2010, 04:35 AM
I think I'm gonna go with Six Feet Under. I'm very into the dark comedy stuff. And Michael C. Hall, of course. He's such a wonderful actor.

dgiharris
06-12-2010, 04:52 AM
The Wire is arguably the best TV drama ever.

Great writing, great plotlines, great characters, and a realism that most series just don't come close to matching...

The best thing about this series is it is soooo unpredictable but in a good way not a gimmicky way. Seriously, The Wire is a DvD set that you will be glad you own.

Mel...

katiemac
06-12-2010, 05:00 AM
Someone has been promising to lend me THE WIRE on DVD ... I need to stalk that person some more.

Mad Men, The Wire and Modern Family are my summer catch-ups.

childeroland
06-12-2010, 05:35 AM
I'm considering True Blood. What's Deadwood about? I've heard several people talking about that one.

Deadwood is a historical drama set in the 1870's, in Deadwood, South Dakota. It follows the exploits of Al Swearengen (the magnificent Ian McShane), the gangster-like owner of the Gem Saloon and Sheriff (for awhile Al's archenemy) Seth Bullock (Tim Olyphant) while charting Deadwood's growth from camp to town.

mulcahy67
06-12-2010, 06:21 AM
Six Feet Under was awesome. i remember watching that back in the day. That pretty much generated my love for Michael C. Hall and Ben Foster, who are two of my favorite actors now. a definite must-watch.

aadams73
06-12-2010, 06:51 AM
I really liked Six Feet Under, too, but felt it was kinda uneven at times.

Another recommendation: Rome.

kaitiepaige17
06-12-2010, 06:58 AM
^ Oh, yeah, I remember seeing previews for Rome and thinking it looked good.

AdamH
06-12-2010, 07:39 AM
I want to echo Six Feet Under. One of the best shows I've ever seen. Period. And it is THE best ending to a series I've ever seen. It was perfect. That show got me into Dexter because Michael C. Hall was so awesome in Six Feet. I wanted to follow all of the actors forever.

Also, now that Lost is over. Give it a chance. It pays off. It's one of those shows that if you get into the characters you'll enjoy it more. And I didn't get into Lost until season 3 and watching them back-to-back on DVD is the way to go.

True Blood. My new favourite. Someone turned me on to it last summer. Now I'm pumped for season 3 in a couple days.

Madmen is great. Want to watch the Wire because I always hear so many praises about it.

To add to the list, do Fringe. I'm surprisingly addicted to that show now. Think of it as X-Files of a new generation...with a twist or four.

dgiharris
06-12-2010, 11:24 AM
HBO basically has been spinning gold since forever.

I've yet to see an HBO series that I didn't like. You can't really go wrong with anything they've done.

Mel...

fredXgeorge
06-12-2010, 11:36 AM
Vampire Diaries :D

Paul
06-12-2010, 12:20 PM
Of all time; Hill Street Blues in US. I Cladius in UK
current - the wire US. nothing - UK

Toothpaste
06-12-2010, 05:15 PM
I'll second ROME, LOST (they do answer a lot of the questions, but my biggest recommendation is to forget about the questions and focus on the character arcs which are brilliant), DEADWOOD and MAD MEN.

I haven't seen THE WIRE or BREAKING BAD but they are on my list, they are supposed to be fantastic.

And evidently FRINGE has really come into its own (another for the list).

A warning about TRUE BLOOD. It is quality pulp, and meant to be. It's violent, over the top sexualised, and very very hammy. It's still fun, but it isn't a "serious" drama, it's meant to be like a really quality dessert. Decadent and wonderful, but not the main meal.

the addster
06-12-2010, 05:23 PM
BREAKING BAD is fantastic. I'd recommend it.

If you want something a bit lighter, you might give BBC's PRIMEVAL a shot.

Shadow_Ferret
06-12-2010, 07:10 PM
"Have Gun, Will Travel." Probably one of the finest westerns ever made. Intelligent. Thought provoking. Just keep in mind it was produced in the 1950s and you can overlook some of the melodrama. Some great writers worked for it, including Gene Roddenberry of Star Trek fame, Bruce Geller, who went on to do Mission: Impossible, and Harry Julian Fink who created Dirty Harry. Even Sam Peckinpah wrote an episode.

nighttimer
06-13-2010, 08:12 AM
What? No love for The Shield? Best drama of the last decade and the best ending of any televison series EVER. :Trophy:

Cyia
06-13-2010, 08:16 AM
A warning about TRUE BLOOD. It is quality pulp, and meant to be. It's violent, over the top sexualised, and very very hammy. It's still fun, but it isn't a "serious" drama, it's meant to be like a really quality dessert. Decadent and wonderful, but not the main meal.

Sadly that's why I didn't like True Blood. Vamps are one of my favorite supernatural critters, but TB was too much. More sensory overload than what I was hoping for. I can see why people enjoy it, though. It makes pretty eye candy.

(I also hate hearing "Sookie" and "Bill" talk. Their accents make me want to strangle something. Anna Paquin's gotten better since her early X-Men days, but Stephen Moyer... oy...)

Lyra Jean
06-13-2010, 08:25 AM
X-Files (hardcore fan here) I had to say it.

I second Mad Men. I don't think I've seen any of the others.

mellymel
06-13-2010, 04:54 PM
I'm considering True Blood.

Consider no more. That should be your next series :) Seriously, it's really well done and very, very entertaining. The characters are all so interesting and the acting fantastic, IMO.

mellymel
06-13-2010, 04:55 PM
Another recommendation: Rome.

Yes, yes, yes! And this :)

kaitiepaige17
06-13-2010, 11:16 PM
I just started Six Feet Under and like it, but I'm really not into series with a lot of main characters. That's one reason why I'm in love with Dexter; it focuses on DEXTER, even though other characters like his sister get time too. I just find it hard to emotionally invest when there are too many characters....

Cyia
06-14-2010, 12:00 AM
I'm going to put in a suggestion for Burn Notice. I love this show it's got action and humor and the MC's dry tone makes both better.