PDA

View Full Version : The biggest R you can get

Wayne K
06-12-2010, 02:59 AM
I tried one agent when Jason siad he wasn't going to be able to sell The Driver, and though he liked it, he said the overlap of his list of editors and Jason's, it wouldn't work for him to sub it out.

I don't know the legals of all this, so I asked.

Basically, my book is dead.

I wanna thank all of you guys for the support...You've been great. I never would have gotten this far without you.

I'm going to go write a true romance. Did ya hear? The editors loved me. The genre sucks.

The real sadz of this wasn't not getting it published. I tell ya, I loved reading the rejects--some of them were very complimentary...But then they said things like "I'm afraid no one has any interest in these people anymore..." and stuff like that.

Dude...you're talking about me too

I don't drink when I'm depressed, so I just smked a great big joint.

I have a book to write

See ya around SYW

Synonym
06-12-2010, 03:11 AM
Hang on to it Wayne. You never know when the next 'hot moment' for a decade, subject, lifestyle or mix thereof will happen. I have a feeling it's timing more than anything, for you.

So? Get to work. :D

the addster
06-12-2010, 03:25 AM
Well dammit.

Hey, write the next one, here in a few years when you are an acclaimed writer, you can release this one and respark interest in these people.

I don't drink when depressed either.

Go write.

Wayne K
06-12-2010, 03:41 AM
I started writing The Driver on a bus in Philasdelphia, in a notebook. I had just gotten there, so I had no idea where I was or where I was going.

When I got off the bus in south philly, I detected a slight "You ain't from around here, are ya?"

I asked a lady directions, and she asked me how I ended up there, so I started telling her the story of when I met John Gotti. Within ten minutes I had twenty people standing around listening to the first chapter.

I had Gary Goldstein take me and my wife to lunch in NYC.

I have no regrets

I had the corned beef :D

Wayne K
06-12-2010, 03:43 AM
And FWIW, food is even better when an editor is paying for it :D

firedrake
06-12-2010, 03:46 AM
Yeah, it's not as if you can't write or tell a damn good story. :D

Write the next one and you'll get 'The Driver' out there in the end.

Calla Lily
06-12-2010, 05:02 AM
What everyone else said. :)

backslashbaby
06-12-2010, 05:14 AM
I think it's just too much for them to handle, given the subject. But when the timing is right, you know folks want to read it. I want to read it, btw... and so does my dad.

It's an exceptionally amazing story.

Did you skip to screenplay, ever? If you are interested in that, I could see it selling big.

They are insane. Or afraid of lawsuits and decapitated horses heads.

Best of luck, of course!

CACTUSWENDY
06-12-2010, 06:09 AM
Wayne...stop and think about it. No one thought the Sopranos was ever going to be the hit it was. The American people are in a love/hate relationship with gangsters.... always have been.

If I was you, I would find someone that deals with movies/tv stuff. Yes, write another book, but don't stop with this one being shopped. IMHO....:evil

folkchick
06-12-2010, 03:18 PM
I'm so sorry, Wayne. I hope this turns around and something good happens despite the big wall you've encountered.

Miss Plum
06-12-2010, 06:17 PM
Sorry, Wayne. But obviously you can write. That right there . . .