BIO on full request--first or third person?

miles

agent at The Knight Agency
Registered
Reaction score
Website
knightagency.net
When an agent asks for a bio after requesting a full manuscript, should this be written in first or third person? I always thought third sounds a little conceded, if I'm the one writing it. But most author bios in books are in third person.

Thanks!

cate townsend

Registered
Reaction score
First. You're at a very informal stage here, with a bio. You want to sound personable, not like one of those bios you read in the back flap of a published book. Good luck, and don't sweat it too much. The most important thing is your writing.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I always do third person. I strive for a tone that matches the work being considered--you don't want something light and breezy for dark horror, for instance. I also make sure nothing in the bio might allow someone to find me--I name an area, not the town I live in, for instance.

Maryn, for whom one stalking was sufficient

miles

agent at The Knight Agency
Registered
Reaction score
Website
knightagency.net
I always do third person. I strive for a tone that matches the work being considered--you don't want something light and breezy for dark horror, for instance. I also make sure nothing in the bio might allow someone to find me--I name an area, not the town I live in, for instance.

Maryn, for whom one stalking was sufficient

An agent who stalks the author who submitted the full manuscript.

Just found my idea for my next novel!

Ryan_Sullivan

Agented YA Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Your choice. Do whatever feels most comfortable. Personally, I don't like third person bios--seems to detached.