PDA

View Full Version : Great Scenes in Bad Movies

Jcomp
06-11-2010, 06:18 PM
A discussion on another site got me thinking about the movie Silent Hill. Pretty lousy by most objective standards, I think, but it has a couple of scenes that are Epic Moments of Horror. The scene when the siren sounds and Pyramid Head... well... if you've seen it, you know. And then the climax in the church, with Grand Guignol gruesomeness executed via barbed wire madness.

Both of those scenes, to me, are sort of artistically horrifying. Purposeful gore that isn't lingered on (well, maybe a bit in the church scene), but is necessarily over-the-top because of the literal nightmare world Silent Hill exists in.

So that lead me to the topic: what are some other scenes you found really good and memorable in movies that you think are otherwise pretty damn bad?

maxmordon
06-11-2010, 11:00 PM
Not my opinion but my father's: He loathed Inglorious Basterds saying Tarantino had sold his artistic integrity but really loved the whipped cream scene.

Diana Hignutt
06-11-2010, 11:03 PM
The airplane rescue in Superman Returns.

Pterofan
06-12-2010, 12:29 AM
The scene in Ghost Rider where Biker Rider and Cowboy Rider are racing across the desert. It's like every classic American male icon packed into 30 seconds of film. Totally makes up for Nic Cage and his melodramatic pointing finger.

SirOtter
06-12-2010, 12:51 AM
The scene in Ghost Rider where Biker Rider and Cowboy Rider are racing across the desert. It's like every classic American male icon packed into 30 seconds of film. Totally makes up for Nic Cage and his melodramatic pointing finger.

A scene which, IIRC, is backed with Ghost Riders in the Sky, the single most kick-ass song since Ride of the Valkyries. It's the Chuck Norris of songs.

Wavy_Blue
06-12-2010, 04:21 AM
I like the Jedi battle in Attack of the Clones. It's a brief, pleasant reminder of what Star Wars could actually be if it wasn't stuck in a dung pile love story.

nighttimer
06-13-2010, 09:09 AM
Wow. I just made a blog post today, "Bad Movie, Good Scene" before I saw this thread. Great minds must like a think and all that...

I didn't like Guy Ritchie's Sherlock Holmes even a little bit. Overlong, underwritten and Robert Downey plays Holmes as a weird slob more than a deeply analytical social misfit.

I do like this scene though: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2etX989DRK0&feature=player_embedded :popcorn:

ChaosTitan
06-13-2010, 06:33 PM
I didn't see this thread before.

X-Men 3 is arguably a pretty bad story dressed up with good effects. But the scene in which Jean goes batshit in her childhood home, wrecks it, then makes Professor X go poof is made of awesome.

EFCollins
06-13-2010, 09:32 PM
A scene which, IIRC, is backed with Ghost Riders in the Sky, the single most kick-ass song since Ride of the Valkyries. It's the Chuck Norris of songs.

Yes sir. Yes, it is.

I thoroughly enjoyed Sherlock Holmes, and thought the scene in which Holmes is experimenting with... the practices of his nemesis in the film to be particularly good.

Good scenes in bad movies?

Hmmm... in "The Unborn". Terrible frigging movie and was not in the least bit scary. But the bit with the exorcism was fairly well done. It is, sadly, the only scene in the whole film that was well done, imho.

Mr Unstable
06-19-2010, 10:24 AM
American History X.

The curb stomp scene.

seun
06-19-2010, 03:58 PM
The first conversation Hugo Weaving and Benico del Toro have in The Wolfman was decent. Shame the rest of the film was a pile of poo.

Kiester
06-19-2010, 05:05 PM
The scene in Doom where it is entirely seen from a first person perspective, as if you're playing the video game.

The film was god awful, but that scene was not that bad.