View Full Version : Cause of sudden death

06-11-2010, 12:59 PM
My (movie) character needs to die, in his armchair, in front of the TV, with no-one else present. His death will be another person's fault, but accidental.

I'm thinking accidental poisoning, but the obvious one - rat poison - apparently takes a few days to take effect, so he would likely get medical help; not just sit in his armchair. Can anyone help me with a fast-acting poison that is not too difficult to find around the house? Or does anyone have any other suggestions for his cause of death?

Genre is slightly wacky black comedy, so it need not be 100% serious or 100% factual. (In fact if I can't find anything else I may stretch the truth and stick with the rat poison, but I thought I'd try to be more accurate if I could.)

Thanks in advance.

06-11-2010, 01:42 PM
Fatal allergy to foodstuff concealed in something else? Possibly a "nut free" batch of biscuits but with added nuts.

06-11-2010, 02:05 PM
Since it's a black comedy, you could have him choke on something. The other person could make him a nice chicken or ham or fish sandwich . . . but forget to take a bone out.

Later the other character could claim innocence. "I swear, I thought it was boneless ham!"

06-11-2010, 03:11 PM
Carbon monoxide poisoning. Or someone leaving the gas on in the kitchen with no ring burning.

A person would go to sleep and just never wake up again.

06-11-2010, 06:47 PM
Tell us a bit more about both characters. maybe somethign funny wil popup.

Gas won't work because mains gas is 'flavoured' so that it can be easily detected - you'd have to be already unconscious in order to die from it.

Some bottled gas heaters can go faulty and emit carbon monoxide - people occasionally die in caravans and boats from it. If your main character were very cold or the heating was broken maybe a friend would get him a secondhand heater, tuck him into the armchair with a couple of blankets, close the doors and come back a few hours later to a bright pink extremely dead person.


06-11-2010, 07:43 PM
Spontaneous Human Combustion

No idea how it could be someone else's fault, but its pretty wacky (and actually happens too)

Drachen Jager
06-11-2010, 08:32 PM
Digitalis would kill fairly quickly, as would various other medications if there was a medicine mix-up. Especially if he had an allergy.

06-11-2010, 09:49 PM
I've heard of someone dying from the carbon monoxide given off from a charcoal grill. The knucklehead moved the Hibatchi grill into his kitchen when it started to rain. The gas killed him and damned near killed the rest of his family, but they got outside in time.
ETA: Here's another instance (http://www.extension.iastate.edu/pages/communications/co/grill.html):

06-11-2010, 10:26 PM
Viagra and nitrates. He died with a smile and it took two hours to nail the coffin.


06-12-2010, 06:03 PM
Haha! Some great suggestions, thanks guys. I am still trying to make my mind up...