PDA

View Full Version : my writing stinks

jerry phoenix
06-11-2010, 12:48 PM
i thought once i had been published i would become more confident about my work. it aint so. since i was published the other day i have had three rejections. (and i had one request to edit my work to reduce it by a few words-that must be a sign the story must have been of interest to the editor or it would have been rejected, right?)

my current project is looking like a big pile of poo. i feel like a total novice struggling to find the reason why my wonderful idea isnt coming over well on the page.

i sent a query to an ebook publisher the other day and wrote a brief out line of the story. i had a reply, they said 'your story sounds interesting, by all means send it' i read the story and thought it was a pile of poo. sounds interesting but it is crap, and i once thought it was better than the one that eventually got published.

so, to those of you awers who have had work published - are you still critical of your work or do you ever start to believe your writing is of any worth?

nitaworm
06-11-2010, 05:08 PM
I'm always critical of my work, but I don't get down about it. I stay positive and give myself pep talks. I also have great cheerleaders. Everyone needs them, they push you through the times when you stumble and are feeling grumpy or down about your progress.

jerry phoenix
06-11-2010, 07:15 PM
thanks for that reply.

since posting i have had another rejection. i have had more rejections this week than in previous months. coincidence that it is the week after my getting my first published credit? maybe good fortune as i can alway look at that one word 'published' in the response colum of my submission (rejection) file

Shadow_Ferret
06-11-2010, 07:22 PM
Put a nose clip on and keep writing.

Being published, the few short stories that were, wasn't enough to overcome my own feelings of doubt and the dozens of rejections that still followed.

Yet I keep on plugging away.

Jamesaritchie
06-11-2010, 09:10 PM
I've always taken a Zen approach. It doesn't matter what I think of my own writing. I find I'm very often wrong when I think it's good, and equally wrong when I think it's bad.

It's what editors think of my writing that matters.

So I just write it, submit it, and keep submitting it until there isn't a place in the world left to submit it.