Phone calls instead of letters

ravaena

Registered
Reaction score
I have a question for anyone who might know the answer -

I've done some research into finding an agent here in Australia; and it seems to differ from finding an American agent in how they prefer to be approached. Namely, the ones interested in my genre (fantasy) indicate that they would prefer to be called, rather than having a letter sent.

With that in mind, writing up a query letter doesn't seem like a productive use of my time. However I will still need some sort of synopsis to explain my novel; I just assume it will be less formal and structured.

So what should I have prepared? Should I write down a little paragraph for myself like a script and recite it to them? Or should I just try for key points to answer questions they might have. To anyone who has actually done something like this when approaching an agent (or an agent who prefers to be approached in this manner) - how did you do it?

All input is appreciated.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think (I'm an Aussie too, and I've just been through this) that you will still need a query. A lot of them do like to have a phone call first, but by and large they will ask for a query... And you can also use that as your stimulus notes when you phone them, so it's a good discipline (though of course it's a bastard of a thing to write...)

Good luck!! Australia is hard!!

cate townsend

Registered
Reaction score
Not Aussie here, but if this were me I'd prepare an elevator pitch, sort of an informal, conversational bit that you would say if you suddenly and unexpectedly ran into an agent or editor and they asked what your book was about. There is plenty of advice out there on how to prepare a pitch. And I agree with mccardy about prepping a query, also. If nothing else, preparing these will rehearse you in talking about them in conversation. Good luck!