Your ideal lifestyle

Paul

Banned
Reaction score
Your ideal lifestyle?

Well just about to hit the hay, but this popped into my head.

So, the question is what would your ideal lifestyle be?

IOW where would you like to see yourself, incorporating all aspects of your life?
And sub-question, do you think you'll get there?

Unacceptable answers
1/ "It's already perfect" spiel
2/ Some kind of thread derail about the meaning of the ideal
3/ Anything like 2 (eg 'happiness is a state of mind' sort of thing.

;)

Last edited:

spamwarrior

rewriting.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
acurrentundersea.wordpress.com
Actually I think my ideal life would be to graduate from college with at least a Master's degree, doing something in either music or writing or both (since I do know several classical musicians who freelance as well) and married to someone and possibly living near the coast. And probably to not have much of a social life =)

MissMacchiato

Bring on the Sweet, Sweet Coffee
Registered
Reaction score
My ideal lifestyle would be as follows:

I am mega super duper rich with a charmingly rougish husband somewhat similar to the character Rourke in the 'in death' series by JD Robb.

I would participate in functions to raise money for causes that resonate with me particularly, in between drinking coffee in coffee houses, travel, and writing my best selling romance novels.

I work hard and appreciate the value of money, but don't have to worry about expenses.

Do I think I'll ever reach such a place? unlikely. I may write novels. I have, and will continue to travel. I most definitely spend time in coffee shops! but I don't ever think I'll be mega rich, and my current lifestyle doesn't give me the luxury of being able to assist causes that interest me as much as I'd like to.

And there is no Mr Latte in my current lifestyle either, and I cant see one appearing in the forseeable future ;)

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
Ahhh, I know. Being completely free of worries and living with Mr. Susie on an Hawaiian island, sipping juice. :) and oh, yeah, eating choco. :D

Last edited:

MsGneiss

Registered
Reaction score
I like where I live, but I'd want the bigger house down the block. And no mortgage. Also, a hammock, and as much free time as I'd like to read books, and nobody would ever ask me how I'm coming along on that thesis. Oh, and in an ideal world, the Brooklyn Public Library would be open 7 days a week, from 9am-11pm.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
My needs and wants are few and simple.

I want to be with someone I love (married or not, I don't care), with two, maybe three kids. A comfortable, cozy home, but not a mansion. I want to make enough money writing for six months out of the year, giving my family and me enough time to spend together doing things we enjoy: traveling, relaxing, having fun.

Failing that, I want a desert island with an internet connection, electricity, and a whole lot of booze. :D

leahzero

The colors! THE COLORS!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
words.leahraeder.com
The BF and I move to California and get a house by the beach in Santa Monica or thereabouts. Tall windows, hardwood floors, exposed brick. I publish a book every year or so while continuing to work in new media: motion design, electronic music, interactive/hyperfiction, and whatever new artforms emerge for the remaining 50~ years of my life. I also read voraciously, maintain a popular blog, play video games, travel to beautiful places, and sometimes just walk down to the ocean, stare across the waves, and think about this pale blue dot floating in the lightless ocean of space and wish I could live forever.

MsGneiss

Registered
Reaction score
This thread makes me feel bad. Everyone seems to have such ambitious and seemingly concrete fantasies, whereas I only want to be left alone to read books for a few extra hours a day. On the other hand, I think I'm closest to achieving my ideal life out of anyone else who has responded so far.

spamwarrior

rewriting.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
acurrentundersea.wordpress.com
This thread makes me feel bad. Everyone seems to have such ambitious and seemingly concrete fantasies, whereas I only want to be left alone to read books for a few extra hours a day. On the other hand, I think I'm closest to achieving my ideal life out of anyone else who has responded so far.

Very true. I really doubt I'll be marrying said person, though I want to.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
I only made something up because Paul nixed the first thought that popped into my head. Really, I'm pretty content. Right now I'd like a pina colada(or five), but that's about it. :D

MissMacchiato

Bring on the Sweet, Sweet Coffee
Registered
Reaction score
I know, it's true, the things I've asked for perhaps aren't all that likely to happen, but that's why they're my ideal. If any of them were closer to being within reaching distance, I'd try to reach for them.

Finding soul-deep love would of course be the ultimate, but that's the hardest one to achieve of them all, since you can't set goals, or work towards it - it either happens, or it doesn't.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'd like to work for Victoria's Secret.

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
A small camper and income enough from writing to drive around during the summers and park on a warm beach in the winters.

Someone to share it with would be nice, too. ;)

Paul

Banned
Reaction score
I only made something up because Paul nixed the first thought that popped into my head. Really, I'm pretty content. Right now I'd like a pina colada(or five), but that's about it. :D

Ye see that there? Ye see that? That's what I'm talking about. NO "I'M SO HAPPY" STATEMENTS!!!!!

:) Kiddin

Pretty good ambitions, most seem pretty achievable (cept one... :)) which is somehow reassuring.
Keep it up.

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I would like to:

1.) Sell a few novels and make enough of a name for myself as a writer that I never have to write a query again.
2.) Keep my job in the ER, but become a per diem employee so I could only work a few shifts a month. (Because I don't want to lose my skills or become a complete hermit.) Then, sell a few more novels.
3.) Spend gobs more time with my family. (Especially my children. No more working weekends and holidays. They won't be children much longer and I don't want to miss any more of it.) Then, write a few more novels and sell them.
4.) Once my children are grown and out of the nest, I would like to move somewere that has four distinct seasons and live in a little old house with lots of charm. I would prefer it to be close to a metro area, but not in it. (I like convenience, but I hate crowds.) Oh, and it has to have a lot of old trees.
5.) In ideal little house, I will write ideal little book. I will love ideal little book so much that I won't even try to publish it. I will print one copy each for my children.
6.) One day when I'm old and shrinking, I will come back from a stroll around the block, sit down at the table to have a sip of coffee and die of a sudden heart attack. My husband will outlive my by 24 hours. We've already decided on this.
7.) It will be stated in my will that all of my money will be left to a particular foundation that I'm already quite fond of.

Will this ever happen? Maybe some of it. Who knows? Part of the fun of fantasizing is not knowing what will happen.

Last edited:

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Let's see. I won't say I all ready have my ideal life, but honestly, I'm not far from it.

Ideally...

1. I want to get published.
2. My husband's ex would die or run away without the Little One. We would then have full custody and not have to deal with running back to court every few months over everything because the woman is insane.
3. We would live near the ocean and own a boat so that my husband could fish all the time while I sat on the beach writing and reading.

That's about it. Will it happen? Let's see - I'm determined to get published. When we retire, we plan to do #3, and #2 is doubtful....although the Little One may choose to live with us all on her own once she realizes her mother is insane. Although, that'll just mean more time in court...

MGraybosch

Lunch Break Novelist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.matthewgraybosch.com
I'll settle for getting my novel published and being able to quit my day job. It would be nice to take my wife back to Australia and buy a little house outside Melbourne, since she misses her family and I don't really give a damn about mine.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
My ideal lifestyle:

1) living my summers in Northern Ontario --cottage country. Muskoka.

2) wintering in exotic locations...a different one each winter. Preferably locations where I can get my hands dirty working with the underprivileged in some capacity.

3) going to the theatre at least once a week. (i don't mean the movies!)

4) being able to HELP whenever the desire strikes me is my ultimate goal. i hate wanting to help someone out financially when, for some reason or other, i can't at that time.

Will i get there? probably not. i wouldn't mind keeping the dream alive, though. i try.

Paul

Banned
Reaction score
I'll settle for getting my novel published and being able to quit my day job. It would be nice to take my wife back to Australia and buy a little house outside Melbourne, since she misses her family and I don't really give a damn about mine.

Wow, Melbourne. that's one city I miss quite a bit...