Author Opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.

NivianBlanche

The marshmallow is trying to eat me
Registered
Reaction score
I'd like some of y'alls opinions on sites like Worthy of Publishing, Fiction Press and so on. I was considering getting an account from some practice with characterization so that I could get some feedback but I am skeptical. So.. opinions, por favor?

Last edited:

MGraybosch

Lunch Break Novelist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.matthewgraybosch.com
I'd like some of y'alls opinions on sites like Worthy of Publishing, Fiction Press and so on. I was considering getting an account from some practice with characterization so that I could get soem feedback but I am skeptical. So.. opinions, por favor?

I've never used such sites, so I don't have an opinion to offer. Sorry.

NivianBlanche

Registered
Reaction score
I didn't say that I didn't know what they were; I just said that I myself have never used them. :)

:e2paperba Sorry. I didn't know what they were until I dug around the sites for a while. I just don't know if they are considered 'safe' for people who are trying to be serious about their writing.

MGraybosch

Lunch Break Novelist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.matthewgraybosch.com
:e2paperba Sorry. I didn't know what they were until I dug around the sites for a while. I just don't know if they are considered 'safe' for people who are trying to be serious about their writing.

IANAL, but they probably aren't. Then again, I've got the prologue to my novel on my website.

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
That's because you're not a teenager. Sites like these seem like they'd be handy for a young person who's just starting out and wants some encouragement and validation.

But the problem with sites like that is that's is all encouragement and validation. There's often no feedback that's worth anything. It can lead to all sorts of disapointment later on.

I guess it's fine if you just wanna hear how aweseome you are, but not so great if you are looking for actual feedback and opinions.

or maybe that's just me. gah. i'm getting too old for this. lol

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
Have you tried AW's Share Your Work section? It would seem that since you're already a member here, that would be worth checking out.

NivianBlanche

Registered
Reaction score
Magali- ::waves:: I've been lurking. I finished a short WIP- I'm in the editing stages now. I haven't updated my ticker on my current WIP, I'm at about 95k and on the last chapter. The last one...no budge.

MGraybosch: That's what I was worried about. I actually read some of the works on there last night. I'm young but I want something more than just admiration.

Shaldna: I noticed that when I was reading. Everything was positive feedback, from the stories that were eh-okay to the works that shoudl be taken out back and shot. (I have a few of those, btw. But they will never again see the light of day)

Terie: I never even thought of that. On to find the thread!

I think with everything you all have told me, that it is almost safe to say that those sites would be a waste of time and effort? I want to get some good honest feedback, not,,just deserved or undeserved, praise.

MGraybosch

Lunch Break Novelist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.matthewgraybosch.com
MGraybosch: That's what I was worried about. I actually read some of the works on there last night. I'm young but I want something more than just admiration.

If you're serious, and need outside opinions of your work but don't trust friends or family, there's the "Share Your Work" section here on AW. I've used it myself for bits 'n pieces, but for the most part I just convert the current draft to EPUB format, load it on my Nook, and let my wife read it. :)

MGraybosch

Lunch Break Novelist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.matthewgraybosch.com
But the problem with sites like that is that's is all encouragement and validation. There's often no feedback that's worth anything. It can lead to all sorts of disapointment later on.

It depends on your reasons for writing in the first place. Some people do it just to be told how awesome they are. They're in it for the kudos. Others are more serious, and want to make a career out of writing.

I got started because I didn't want to admit that I didn't have a social life in college because I was poor, and working on a novel gave me a great excuse to be a hermit.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've never used those sites; like JAR I've not seen the point. I used to participate a lot in Yahoo Answers "Books & Authors" forum, but most of the writers there were just starting out and there wasn't much I could learn from them. ("An agent?!? Lol!!! That sounds like you're an ACTOR or something!!!") (Okay, not that bad, but close). I don't know who participates in the sites you're asking about, but I've only got so many websites I can frequent and for now AW suits my needs.

I'm not trying to knock it before I try it, but for now those are the reasons I've not tried it.

NivianBlanche

Registered
Reaction score
Friends and family..Hm. Yeah My grandmother read my last wip and told me I was weird. My dad will not read anything if it is not written by Loius Lamour. But friends on the other hand- I haven't pestered them about reading my work in a long time. They would be able to help. Thanks!

Chris P: I used to frequent Yahoo Answers fairly often as well, that's actually how I found my way over here. I've actually seen some of those replys or whatever that are that bad.

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score
Fiction Press and sites like that are only suitable for posting work that you have no intention of ever trying to publish. If you just have a need to get some work up that people will comment on, it may satisfy that urge for validation, but it's not for serious writing.

Status
Not open for further replies.