PDA

View Full Version : Anime (Contains Spoilers)

dirtsider
06-09-2010, 04:39 PM
Ok, with a forum this large, I'm sure there are many anime fans out there. So let's hear about your favorites.

Mine are:

Saber Marionettes J - I adore Lime. She's a fun character because of her innocence. Downside: if they could make clones of men, why not women? Type: Silly

Morbito - nicely told and drawn, good character arcs and the character growths are believable. Type: Serious

Sorcerer Hunters - lots of humor, although Carrot's antics do get old at times. Type: first - silly, second part (Sorcerer Wars) is more serious

Miyasaki/Studio Ghibli - yes, I know that's a studio but I love his work on Princess Mononoke, Howl's Moving Castle, etc.

I'm sure there are more so I'll post when I remember.

ether
06-09-2010, 05:01 PM
You made my day mentioning Sorcerer Hunters. Although I highly prefer the manga over the anime, for the Haz Knights if nothing else.

Other favorites --

GetBackers, Bleach, Howl's Moving Castle, Blue Seed, Fruits Basket, Vampire Hunter D (first anime I ever watched, way back in the day) and... I know I'm forgetting some. I generally prefer the manga over the series, just because so much gets left out in anime. :(

Kathleen42
06-09-2010, 05:11 PM
Series:

Fruits Basket
Cowboy Bebop
His and Her Circumstances
Haibane Renmei

Movies/OAVs

Battle Angel
Kiki's Delivery Service

Shadow Dragon
06-09-2010, 05:16 PM
My favorite anime series is Death Note. I consider it to be the best written anime series to date. I also really like Code Geass, Trigun, FLCL, Full Metal Alchemist (both the original and FMA Brotherhood), Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo to name a few.

dirtsider
06-09-2010, 05:18 PM
Never did get into manga. I had friends who got me hooked on anime. That was over 10 years ago, although I've watched it a few times before then (about 20 years ago). I generally find that I tend to prefer the subtitled, Japanese language versions on the older anime series. The newer series, though, have gotten a lot better in the voice actor talent. Probably because it's gotten popular here in the US.

dirtsider
06-09-2010, 05:22 PM
Oh, yeah! I love Full Metal Alchemist. I haven't seen FMA: Brotherhood, although I do have the Shambala movie.

Death Note - Ryuk made the series for me. Light was too cocky. But it was fun to watch Light and L have their mental chessgame.

Shadow Dragon
06-09-2010, 05:44 PM
Oh, yeah! I love Full Metal Alchemist. I haven't seen FMA: Brotherhood, although I do have the Shambala movie.
If you haven't heard much about it, Brotherhood is basical a restart of the anime series, only this time it will be completely based on the manga. I think the first one was a bit better so far, but both are really good.

Mann Crux
06-09-2010, 06:04 PM
Cowboy Bebop

Death Note

The Big O

Elfen Lied

Neon Genesis Evangelion

Vampire Hunter D: Blood lust

Afro Samurai

Mobile Suit Gundam Wing

And anything by Studio Ghibli, though my favourite is probably My Neighbour Totoro.

ether
06-09-2010, 06:15 PM
Never did get into manga. I had friends who got me hooked on anime. That was over 10 years ago, although I've watched it a few times before then (about 20 years ago). I generally find that I tend to prefer the subtitled, Japanese language versions on the older anime series. The newer series, though, have gotten a lot better in the voice actor talent. Probably because it's gotten popular here in the US.

Yeah, they have. Way back in the day, when things like Sailor Moon, Dragonball and Ranma 1/2 were all you could find in the US, voice-acting wasn't... really a big deal. I still prefer the Japanese versions better even in newer series, but at least now the English dubs don't induce bleeding from the ears. ;)

Jcomp
06-09-2010, 06:17 PM
I've never been able to get into any series. But movies:

Ninja Scroll
Perfect Blue
Jin-Roh
Blood: The Last Vampire
Princess Mononoke
Spirited Away

Any of these I find endlessly entertaining and quotable.

SaraP
06-09-2010, 06:28 PM
I'm a big Miyazaki fan as well, my favorites being Nausicaš of The Valley of the Wind and Howl's Moving Castle.

I never really got into the series except for Mushishi, which my husband downloaded from the web, and I absolutely love it.

LOG
06-09-2010, 09:36 PM
My favorite series (not yet mentioned) are still manga atm...

Jess Haines
06-09-2010, 11:55 PM
Really enjoyed what I've seen of Trigun, Read or Die, Hellsing, Vampire Hunter D (both versions), and Howl's Moving Castle. Great stuff!

dgiharris
06-10-2010, 04:31 AM
Can't have an anime discussion without mentioning Ghost in the Shell

talk about wow!!!

And JComp beat me to Ninja Scroll. Classic.

I need to get caught up in my anime. Problem is, it is wayyyyy to expensive to buy the series.

I'm not shelling out $100+ to get the DvD's

I'll occassionally catch an odd ball episode on Adult Swim, but I don't follow them enough to get into them (though I do enjoy them).

Seen a few Cowboy Beebops, Bleach, and Full Metal Alchemists, love it :D

Mel...

Wavy_Blue
06-10-2010, 04:47 AM
Anything Miyazaki. The man's an imaginative genius.

As far as series go, I love me some old school Pokemon, Digimon, and Sailor Moon.

Death Note is great up until L dies. Then I thought it wasn't nearly as clever or engaging.

I love Kodomo no Omacha (Kodocha), a hilarious series about a girl superstar. This show has the best cast of characters ever: Sana, who makes up her own songs about her day, her mom, a renowned novelist who wears strange hats and drives around her house in a toy car, Rei, Sana's agent whom Sana thinks is her boyfriend... there was also this buck-toothed guy on Sana's show with her who was hysterical. It's gets pretty dramatic at times, but as far as English dubs go, I think this one is great (some of the voices are actually better in English).

Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle is pretty good, too.

MissMacchiato
06-10-2010, 05:18 AM
my favourites - anything Miyazaki - totoro, spirited away, ponyo, howl's moving castle, grave of the fireflies (possibly the most moving and upsetting film I've ever seen) - just all of them :)

I liked Neon Genesis Evangelion, Rorouni Kenshin, Kimagure Orange Road, Card Captor Sakura, Kare Kano, Outlaw Star, Record of Lodoss War, Castle of Cagliostro.... geez I can't even remember all the others :) there's heaps of good ones though! I used to be an anime nut

ETA - LOVE KODOCHA! it's so hilarious!

childeroland
06-10-2010, 05:33 AM
All of Miyazaki, particularly Spirited Away, Mononoke-Hime and Lupin III
Takahata's films, particularly Grave of the Fireflies and Only Yesterday
Death Note
Ghost in the Shell (films and the show)
Cowboy Bebop
.hack//Signs (my personal favorite) and //Roots and //Liminality and //Online Jack
Full Metal Alchemist (original and Brotherhood)
Naruto
Inuyasha
Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (along with Death Note and Full Metal Alchemist, probably the best anime TV ever made)
the first season of Darker Than Black
Astro Boy
Maria Watches Over Us
The Twelve Kingdoms
Haibane Renmei
Samurai Champloo

ElizaFaith13
06-10-2010, 05:36 AM
how can no one else be watching Naruto Shippuden!!!! Hands down best series out there...here are some other favs

Beserk
Cowboy bebop
Fullmetal
Record of Lodoos War
Speed Grapher (really trippy)
Bleach
Basilisk (reminds me of Ninja Scroll)

now for movies
Fatal Fury
Cowboy Bebop the movie(really didn't get what was going in until the third watch)
Ninja Scroll (of course)
Wonderful days
vampire Hunter D Bloodlust (such a classic)
legend of crystania
samuari X OVA
final fantasy VII

yea I'm a crazy anime buff...LOVE IT!

Kyra Wright
06-10-2010, 07:14 AM
Manga and anime:

Baccano!, Hellsing, Berserk, Elfen Lied, Higurashi no Naku Koro ni, Basilisk, Speed Grapher, Bleach, Fruits Basket, Loveless, Soul Eater, Full Metal Alchemist, Naruto, Cowboy Bebop, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Serial Experiments Lain, Yagyu Ninja Scrolls, Durarara, Sailor Moon, DBZ, Ronin Warriors, Ayakashi, Mononoke, Death Note, and Excel Saga.

Iím sure thereís a few more that I canít remember offhand.

SaraP
06-10-2010, 04:57 PM
I can't believe I forgot Ghost in The Shell - that is indeed a classic!

And Grave of the Fireflies - omg. I have kids. I cried buckets when I saw it. Hubby kept apologizing over and over for renting it because I was so distraught.

ether
06-10-2010, 05:20 PM
I can't believe I forgot to put Berserk in there. One of my faves. Escaflowne could be in there, too.

JMBlackman
06-10-2010, 07:49 PM
A Miyazaki fan myself, particularly Spirited Away, Mononoke, and Howl's Moving Castle. Other anime films that did it for me: The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, A Brave Story, Sword of the Stranger, Read or Die (the OVA), Endless Waltz, Escaflowne the Movie.

Favorite series (ever): Wolf's Rain, Samurai Champloo, Kure-nai, Toradora, NANA.

Favorite series (of late): Spice and Wolf, House of Five Leaves.

Kyra Wright
06-10-2010, 08:58 PM
I knew there was something I was forgetting, and Sword of the Stranger is it. I saw it a few months ago and loved it.

Hmm....I've never actually watched Yu-Gi-Oh, but I have watched the abridged series. Does that count? ;)

Dawnstorm
06-10-2010, 10:22 PM
Some of those already mentioned:

Haibane Renmei: A friend recommended it to me, and I'm so glad I watched it. I love what they did with the "angel" imagery, and how they give out halos. Quiet, melancholic, but also warmhearted and funny, and a mysterious setting that's never explained. Love that one.

Ghibli: I actually prefer Takahata's stuff over Miyazaki's. Grave of Fireflies is great (among the saddest films I've ever seen; it's relentless). Pom Poko is what epic fantasy should be, IMO (yeah, they're tanukis [racoon dogs; NOT raccoons - end nitpick]). And then there's the quirky, dreamy My Neighbours the Yamadas - I haven't yet met an anime fan who even likes this one, but I love it. :D Miyazaki's great, too, of course. My favourite would be Mononoke, followed by Nausicaa.

Basilisk: The deathmatch type. This sort of show rises and falls with the characters, and they get that part right. It's one of those shows that make you hate the conflict instead of choosing sides. (Well, me, anyway.)

Samurai Champloo: Heh, I loved that one, too. An odd mix - samurai historical + US pop culture influence. Loved the "tagging" episode.

Well, that was random. Out of time, now. May be back later, with my own additions.

BarrelRoll
06-10-2010, 10:24 PM
I'm one of those non-anime guys who caught Cowboy Bebop on AS and liked it, I guess I am a fan of the film Akira, too.

LOG
06-10-2010, 10:36 PM
I just read the last chapter of Fullmetal alchemist while listening to the piano version of sleepless beauty, it was beautiful. :D

dirtsider
06-10-2010, 11:15 PM
Akira - lol. That's one messed up show which is what I love about it. I love the fact that Akira and his friend (the one that gets all the 'power') couldn't care less about all the science and politicking that's going on around them. They just want to live their lives the best they can. And do things they're way when things get out of control.

Escaflowne - I think I tried getting into the movie but couldn't. Liked the series though. One thing that got to me was how everyone viewed Hitomi as some servant girl (particularly the Princess for obvious reasons), although they probably couldn't handle things half as well if the situations were reversed.

Kyra Wright
06-11-2010, 01:26 AM
I just read the last chapter of Fullmetal alchemist while listening to the piano version of sleepless beauty, it was beautiful. :D
I was just about to mention that the final chapter has been released. What a way to end a great series.

TrickyFiction
06-11-2010, 01:54 AM
I haven't seen Mushishi mentioned yet, so I thought I'd add it.
It's contemplative, mesmerizing and plain gorgeous, IMO.

ETA- Looking back, I just saw it was mentioned, after all. Oops. Missed it the first time through.
Another lesser-known anime that is just gorgeous is Mononoke (the princess free one).

Kyra Wright
06-11-2010, 02:02 AM
Another lesser-known anime that is just gorgeous is Mononoke (the princess free one).
Nice to see that someone else has seen it. Mononoke and Ayakashi are both excellent series.

Wavy_Blue
06-11-2010, 02:45 AM
I was very into Ouran High School Host Club back in the day. It's still pretty hilarious, but some of the character development just doesn't translate well from culture to culture, imo.

MissMacchiato
06-11-2010, 03:57 AM
omg, forgot RANMA 1/2!

Dawnstorm
06-11-2010, 10:30 AM
Anime already mentioned that caught my interest but I haven't yet been able to watch:

Fruitsbasket: I keep hearing good things about this one. Quite high on my to-watch list. A definite buy if I spot a boxed set in a shop.

Ouran Highschool Host Club: Tentatively curious. Depends on the type of humour. I do like the visiual style. I might watch it online, if I have the chance. [Reminds me that I really enjoyed School Rumble (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=4114) for it's quirky humour.]

Mushishi: Name Rings a bell. A swiss private TV station had an anime night once, showing lots of first episodes. I remember something about a boy whose calligraphy comes alive, and a researcher of some ethereal beings seeking that boy out in a hut in the middle of a forrest. Is that Mushishi? If so, it's one of those that left an impression. (If not, does anyone know what this is?)

My own anime-collection is pitifully small. Here's what I have:

Princess Monoke (VHS; bought it because I wanted to see it)

Nausicšš (dvd; bought it because I was curious whether it was the one I'd seen before but barely remember. It wasn't, but the film is good.)

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (4 dvds; bought the first one out of curiosity; ordered the other three straight away)

Noir [boxed set - 6 dvds; bought it, because it's one of my favourites and I'd only seen a dub; one of the better bad German dubs, but still...]

The Place Promised in our Early Days [bought it because the cover looked interesting: it's a single film, and well worth the money I spent on it. I just wish there was more of it. Just a bit more development.]

Most of the anime I saw was on TV; some online; some in the cinema.

Some of the newer ones that need more buzz so they be licenced, become hits, so I can buy them:

Kimi ni Todoke (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=10625): It's billed as a romance, and - well - that's what it is, but the core of the story, IMO, is the socially awkward main character trying to make - and keep - friends. The romance is really part of that. If this series has a flaw, it's that it sometimes comes across as too sweet. If you can stomach a bit of kitsch, this one's bound to make you feel good.

Time of Eve (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=7998): Cheers meets I, Robot. Six episodes. I hear they're making a movie out of the episodes (six episodes minus the opening and ending should come to a bit over two hours). I'd definitely watch that one in the theatres!

Welcome to the NHK (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=6357): A guy with severe social anxiety accidently opens the door for religious solicitation and thus meets a girl who's going to therapise him. The therapy ranges from inane to actually helpful. But of course the "therapist" has problems of her own... The show's mercilessly honest. I'm shy, but not pathologically so. Still, I found myself choking again and again; the result of trying to laugh while being embarrassed. I thought the show managed a good balance of making fun of a serious condition, while still being respectful to it. is mercilessly honest, after all.]

dirtsider
06-11-2010, 06:40 PM
I'm surprised no one's mentioned Trinity Blood yet. I loved that series but I heard that the writer died before finishing it, I believe. Fr. Abel Nightroad - wonderful character.

Also Le Chevier D'Eon. I have to rewatch the last couple of episodes but I felt that it was also cut short. Basically, it's about a French 'knight'/secret service operative in the 1700/1800's who is trying to track down the people responsible for his sister's death. Complication: she was hip deep in the occult scene of her time and her soul tends to take over her brother's body from time to time to get her own sort of revenge.

Just picked up the first two DVD's of Towards the Terra. So far so good.

Mann Crux
06-11-2010, 07:45 PM
Also Le Chevier D'Eon. I have to rewatch the last couple of episodes but I felt that it was also cut short. Basically, it's about a French 'knight'/secret service operative in the 1700/1800's who is trying to track down the people responsible for his sister's death. Complication: she was hip deep in the occult scene of her time and her soul tends to take over her brother's body from time to time to get her own sort of revenge.

Ah! *flails arms madly in excitement*

I heard about this ages ago but completely forgot the title! Thank you!

I shall hunt it down immediately.

ElizaFaith13
06-11-2010, 08:06 PM
Le Chevier D'Eon[/I]. I have to rewatch the last couple of episodes but I felt that it was also cut short. Basically, it's about a French 'knight'/secret service operative in the 1700/1800's who is trying to track down the people responsible for his sister's death. Complication: she was hip deep in the occult scene of her time and her soul tends to take over her brother's body from time to time to get her own sort of revenge.

wow totally forgot about this one! I never got to finish the series.

Zefiris
06-11-2010, 08:14 PM
I watch some Anime, not loads though.

Scrapped Princess, Chobits and Initial D be my favourites :)

Dawnstorm
06-11-2010, 08:19 PM
Scrapped Princess

Hm, help me remember. What was the name of this character?

http://www.jeboavatars.com/images/avatars/241044204067bigzef.jpg

Monkey
06-11-2010, 08:34 PM
Rose of Versailles (it's an anime set in the time of the french revolution)
Fushigi Yugi
Tenchi Muyo
Ranma 1/2

Berserk was good, but depressive, and that's not really my thing...although I liked Vampire Princess Miyu and Vampire Hunter D. Berserk just took the "there are no good guys" a little far, IMO, and I thought the whole bit with Caska was just too much.

I liked Fruits Basket, and Kimiguri Orange Road but they don't make it into my favorites.

Kyra Wright
06-11-2010, 08:52 PM
Berserk was good, but depressive, and that's not really my thing...although I liked Vampire Princess Miyu and Vampire Hunter D. Berserk just took the "there are no good guys" a little far, IMO, and I thought the whole bit with Caska was just too much.
Funny (well, sort of) story about Berserk: I love that series to death. My best friend often gets to hear me rant about how great the manga is. Recently, she pointed out to me that, despite my enthusiasm, Iím not doing a good job of selling the series, because I often say stuff like, ďBerserk is so fucking depressing...yeah, itís a great series, you should read it.Ē

So yeah...Berserk, the series thatís great, and will make you want to kill yourself after reading it! ;)

Zefiris
06-11-2010, 09:02 PM
Hm, help me remember. What was the name of this character?

http://www.jeboavatars.com/images/avatars/241044204067bigzef.jpg

My favourite character! Zefiris! Which is...incidently why my user name be Zefiris!

She was awesome!

Dawnstorm
06-11-2010, 09:38 PM
My favourite character! Zefiris! Which is...incidently why my user name be Zefiris!

She was awesome!

Hehe. I actually thought of her when I first read your username.

Scrapped Princess is a better show than the first few episodes suggest, IMO. I have the first episode on a promo-dvd (with many anime-firsts, e.g. Wolf's Rain), and I thought: nice, but nothing special. I was very, very wrong.

Zefiris
06-12-2010, 02:43 AM
Scrapped Princess really starts to get good from episode 4 onward for me, that seems to be when the plot kicks in and from then on it's awesomeness all the way :)

Also, can't believe I left this off my list of favourite but Ultimate Muscle.

I LOVED that show but, barring the few episodes on youtube they've got I haven't seen it for 6 years! It's impossible to find and I miss it :(

ghost
06-13-2010, 03:37 AM
Samurai Champloo - Absolutely brilliant.

I'll echo what someone else said about Death Note. It was great up until L died.

dirtsider
06-14-2010, 05:07 PM
A lot of cool suggestions. I'll have to keep an eye out for Mononoke. I saw Princess Mononoke but didn't realise there was one without the Princess. I've seen Scrapped Princess but never bothered to pick it up.

Just recently picked up Towards the Terra. Apparently there are 6 DVDs but I only found two recently. But it got me interested enough to find the rest. Story: Earth has been so polluted that it's beyond recovery. Humans decide to head out into space so that Earth can be re-terraformed/healed. Fastforward 500 years or so. Humanity is now established among the stars. On their 14th birthday, everyone has to go through their 'adult test', a transition from childhood to adulthood. One of the MC's is Jomy Shin. He's about to go through his test but prior to that he's been getting strange dreams. Turns out he's a psionic and the person he's been seeing in his dreams is actually real. The government now decides to terminate Jomy because it sees anyone with similar abilities as a threat. (This also gives humanity an enemy to focus on, rather than having civil unrest.)

TrickyFiction
06-18-2010, 01:56 AM
Mushishi: Name Rings a bell. A swiss private TV station had an anime night once, showing lots of first episodes. I remember something about a boy whose calligraphy comes alive, and a researcher of some ethereal beings seeking that boy out in a hut in the middle of a forrest. Is that Mushishi? If so, it's one of those that left an impression. (If not, does anyone know what this is?)

Yep, you described the first episode of Mushishi, which is one of my favorites when I crave a quiet story.

Wavy_Blue
06-18-2010, 02:56 AM
I've recently seen a few episodes of Mushishi as well, and I've got to say, it's stunning.

Dawnstorm
06-18-2010, 06:11 AM
Yep, you described the first episode of Mushishi, which is one of my favorites when I crave a quiet story.

Thanks. I'll be on the look out for it. :)

kuwisdelu
06-18-2010, 10:51 AM
End of Evangelion is the closest thing I've ever gotten to having a spiritual experience. I don't care how geeky/nerdy/otaku that sounds, it's the truth.

Of course, it won't make one lick of sense unless you watch the series first. ;)

For those who enjoy Eva, Ghost in the Shell, and/or the cyberpunk genre in general, or really anyone remotely interested in existential thought or intellectual art, I highly recommend Serial Experiments Lain, as well.

Shadow Dragon
06-18-2010, 12:07 PM
For those who enjoy Eva, Ghost in the Shell, and/or the cyberpunk genre in general, or really anyone remotely interested in existential thought or intellectual art, I highly recommend Serial Experiments Lain, as well.
Another anime that would fit into that category (except for the cyber punk part) is Ergo Proxy.

owlion
06-18-2010, 06:02 PM
-Studio Ghibli/Miyazaki stuff (Spirited Away has a special place in my heart as the first Ghibli film I saw, but Princess Mononoke is a very close second).
-Lucky Star
-Haruhi Suzumiya
-.Hack//Sign
-Kanon 2006 (probably one of the best anime ever made)
-K-ON!
-Wolf's Rain
-Hetalia Axis Powers
-Utawarerumono
-Tsubasa Resevoir Chronicles
-Coge Geass
-Air
-Ouran High School Host Club
-Peacemaker (only the manga really)

darkangel77
06-24-2010, 06:13 AM
I can't believe no one's mentioned The Slayers yet!

Hilarious show and characters with an interesting story, go check it out if you haven't already =D

Anarchic Q
06-25-2010, 04:03 AM
Boogiepop Phantom: It was the first really creepy, mentally screwed anime I had ever seen.

Devil Hunter Yohko: It was the first anime that I was exposed to that wasn't DBZ or Sailor Moon, also, boobs.

Rainbow: It's currently steaming on Funimation's website. If you have a strong stomach, I really suggest watching it. It's like HBO's OZ, the anime.

I keep a list of everything I've watched or am watching at Anime-planet.com (http://www.anime-planet.com/users/AnarchicQ/anime/) because I'm neurotic like that.

Calla Lily
06-30-2010, 05:22 PM
:mad:

What were the Vampire Knight screenwriters THINKING?! I just got vol. 10 of the manga, and (now that Mr. Lily fixed my computer) found the last eps on YouTube.

And they changed the ending! :rant: The manga ending--with The Kiss--was the angst-ridden, scenery-chewing fun we've come to expect from this series. But the anime? TERRIBLE!!!

...feeling better now that I've vented. Maybe. Grrrr.

kuwisdelu
06-30-2010, 11:09 PM
Boogiepop Phantom: It was the first really creepy, mentally screwed anime I had ever seen.

The individual episodes were very well done, but I do wish they'd made it a 26-episode series instead of 13, and included more material from the light novels so it would hold up better on its own.

Has no one mentioned Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann yet?

Or really, anything Gainax has ever done.