Goal -- 1st to 3rd

Torin

Wandering vaguely
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cebarrett.com
I have an entire manuscript that I'm in the process of switching from first to third person. I am also using this conversion as a chance to rewrite. I think the total is just over 100K words, so there's a bit yet to do. I can't seem to sit and just rewrite and change, so I take turns between using the find/replace function carefully so I don't end up changing any dialogue, and just grabbing a paragraph or five and redoing them throughout.

I do need to keep on track. I've been meaning to get this done for months now, and life has gotten in the way. I am now taking back my writing time and am determined to get this done by the end of June at the latest.

I'm also working on the rough draft of a horror novel, and there's something else percolating in the back of my mind. I remember starting it longhand, but I'm not sure where that particular notebook is. I've moved since starting it, and I THINK I know where it is, but, well...moving. You know? Bleh.

So...daily goal...spend at least half an hour on conversion (today I had very few clients and was at it for about three hours); transcribe one section of the handwritten horror novel (I tend to write in sections like PTerry's discworld books rather than in chapters), and write 250 new words on the horror novel.

That should keep me off the streets.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ah, I got nothing. I saw the title and I was going to suggest sending the runner and telling the batter to swing away - the old hit-and-run. Apparently, you're not talking baseball.

In all seriousness, I like the idea of having something a bit menial to balance the more green-fields task of a first draft - it would give one something to do when confronted with a block.

I think I might try that!

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't call changing the POV from first to third (or vice versa) menial. The voicier your first was the more subtle shifts you may find necessary. I don't think I've ever changed person once I decided on first or third -- should be an interesting exercise.

Good luck with your schedule!

Torin

Wandering vaguely
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cebarrett.com
It's certainly playing havoc with pronouns. Where once it said "I looked at him." or "He looked at me." I now have "He looked at him." and then it's all fun and games slotting in either a name or description so we all know what the hell is going on. Where it's most entertaining is when I've done some find/replace for some words, and then go through it to see what else needs to be changed, and I have sentences like "I chewed his lip thoughtfully." I've found myself snorking with laughter in a few places before I get it fixed.

Accomplished today: the half hour of conversion and the transcription of a section of the horror story.
Left to do: 250 new words. Better get cracking.