How many chapters of a memoir on sub?

Bealeblast

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.publishersmarketplace.com
In that a memoir is somewhere between a fiction sub and a nonfiction sub (as form not as fact versus fiction) how much is the "right" amount for agents to send to publishers on submission?

Other than "it depends" I'm curious what people who have sold a memoir in the last year or two have found to work best....two or three chapters, half the book or the whole book?

With my agents we've tried just two chapters and we're about to go out again with 5 (100 pages of MS).

Any thoughts?

Lucy

sky with diamonds
Registered
Reaction score
I would think that an agent would send the entire thing. I think it is strange if he's sending partials to editors. Others might disagree but I've never heard of that.

Ryan_Sullivan

Agented YA Writer
Registered
Reaction score
I would assume that a first time author would have to submit a full manuscript. A more seasoned one may get by on less. I'm not aware that it's any different than other genres in terms of submitting.

Bealeblast

Registered
Reaction score
Website
It's been a question my agent and I have gone back and forth about and he's not sure either. It seems it used to easier to send less and now more is demanded in every way. So it seemed worthwhile to see what others had done recently. That's all.

Bealeblast

Registered
Reaction score
Website
He's a hugely successful agent but the point is that in the area of memoir it's not a fixed issue i.e. how much to submit. Any other thoughts on the matter?