PDA

View Full Version : 1st Rejection-BooHoo

tonyajwilliams
06-08-2010, 10:31 PM
So, I went on submission last Wednesday to 10 publishers. Yesterday, I got my first rejection. The editor said that my story (its a memoir)
was "truly remarkable," but the writing needed to be "exquisite". So, they didn't think my writing was exquisite. Bah hum bug. Fingers crossed
for the next nine (part of the first round of my submission -- there are
going to be four rounds).

Calla Lily
06-08-2010, 10:49 PM
Boo! *hands martini* Good luck with the rest!

tonyajwilliams
06-08-2010, 11:55 PM
Callalily, thanks for the support. It was hard to hear, but I'm remaining hopeful for the remaining nine.

Maryn
06-09-2010, 12:36 AM
Well, there's their exquisite and there's the next guy's. All a matter of taste, right?

If the rejections happen to pile up (which I hope they don't), you'll find each new one stings a bit less.

Maryn, all but devoid of feeling, on the good days

Miss Plum
06-09-2010, 02:23 AM
The editor said that my story (its a memoir)
was "truly remarkable," but the writing needed to be "exquisite". So, they didn't think my writing was exquisite.
Screw 'em. It's all a matter of taste. You'll find someone who has a different view of your project!

Danielle S.
06-09-2010, 02:31 AM
Sorry, Tonya! Good luck on the ones still out there.

jennontheisland
06-09-2010, 02:34 AM
You're a real writer now.

C.T. Richmond
06-09-2010, 02:47 AM
I'm so sorry to hear about your rejection! *Hugs* Best of luck though! Hang in there. :)

Zefiris
06-09-2010, 03:27 AM
Take heart!

It's a good rejection! At least they had compliments for you :) :) :)

Good compliments too!

tonyajwilliams
06-09-2010, 05:08 AM
Rejection number two came in. They passed b/c they just published several other memoirs on the same topic and are waiting to see how they do. They
said the story was "fascinating." Gotta hold on to something right? The journey continues. I do actually feel like a writer now. Real editors are
reading my papers and passing judgment. Kinda cool.

FluffBunny
06-09-2010, 06:30 AM
Brava! You took the plunge and put your work out there. Hang in there!

tonyajwilliams
06-09-2010, 07:11 PM
Thanks for all the support everyone. I will keep you updated
as to how things are going with the submission.

triceretops
06-10-2010, 06:25 AM
It's just too damn diverse to draw any solid conclusions. I get it from one end of the spectrum to the other. Wait this one out. And good luck.

Tri

EagerReader
06-10-2010, 07:48 AM
Sorry, rejection stinks. Good luck with the rest of them!

tonyajwilliams
06-10-2010, 05:39 PM
Tri and EagerReader,

Thanks for the support. So far, two rejections, but I still have
seven out there that I need to hear from this round. So, I really
am keeping my fingers crossed. We shall see what happens.

Tonya

jerry phoenix
06-11-2010, 12:59 PM
slightly aside, are you sending the same piece to all these publishers? i dont think they like you doing that, but i am starting to think, what the hell, why should you wait and wait for one to reply before you send to another. writers get such a crap deal as it is. i might send my stories to 10 publishers each and ignore their 'no simultanious submission' demand.
how would they know if you sub the same peice to many publishers anyway?

i feell a new thread coming on here.

K. Taylor
06-11-2010, 03:28 PM
I believe her agent has sent the book to editors. That's usually what it means to "go on sub".

tonyajwilliams
06-11-2010, 05:34 PM
Yes,

K. Taylor. My agent has submitted to publishers. We are have a general pitch that we are using, but each letter to an editor is tweaked a bit based on the needs/interests/personality/relationship with my agent.
I still have seven out there so I can't wait to hear.