PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only one?

invisigirl591
06-08-2010, 08:07 PM
Weird question, sorry

So, I've read some author/writer interviews and I usually come across the question "Who is you favorite character and why?" and they always (from what I've seen) seem to have a favorite.

I myself CAN'T answer that type of question. I honestly love all of my characters (from the first book I ever created 'til now) equally.

Am I the only person that feels this way? Because, if I am, then my way thinking about it is pretty weird! xD

Wayne K
06-08-2010, 08:20 PM
I write memoir, so you can guess who mine is :D

PoppysInARow
06-08-2010, 08:26 PM
I get like that too. When asked, I usually immediately go to the protagonist, because that's who I spend the most time with. But then I go, "But wait, this character is totally awesome. And I love this character too. Oh, and who wouldn't love the villian..."

Xvee
06-08-2010, 09:09 PM
I write memoir, so you can guess who mine is :D

:roll: I'm thinking it's your neighbor.

But to invisigirl, keep in mind that those answers could just be PR soundbites, ways for writers to yammer and promote their work without sounding like they are. A lot of them could feel the way you do but need to promote a certain work at the time.

invisigirl591
06-08-2010, 09:12 PM
Xvee: Oh, I never thought of it that way! I seriously thought all of them were just genuinely being honest haha

Xvee
06-08-2010, 09:22 PM
Xvee: Oh, I never thought of it that way! I seriously thought all of them were just genuinely being honest haha

They're professional fiction writers, which means they make up filthy lies for a living. So get in the habit of being a filthy liar and you'll be just like them in no time.

ChaosTitan
06-08-2010, 09:22 PM
I've been asked that question several times, and I have always given an honest answer.

Characters aren't my children. They are interesting people between the pages of book. Once in a while, one of them just stands out to me as being the most fun to write about, the most interesting, etc... It isn't a disservice to my other characters. It just means I really enjoy this particular character.

We all have favorite characters in other people's books. Why not in our own?

invisigirl591
06-08-2010, 09:31 PM
Well, I'm not saying they're my children haha

I'm just saying it's tough for me because I honestly like them all... no matter what stupid things I've had them do. I will admit, there are times where I do want to write more about one than others, but that's the farthest favoritism has ever gone for me. In the end, I always end up liking them equally.

CaroGirl
06-08-2010, 09:36 PM
Well, I'm not saying they're my children haha

I'm just saying it's tough for me because I honestly like them all... no matter what stupid things I've had them do. I will admit, there are times where I do want to write more about one than others, but that's the farthest favoritism has ever gone for me. In the end, I always end up liking them equally.
That's a good way ensure there's no resentment, and they'll all visit you on every major holiday.

I definitely have favourite characters. Many are favourites for different reasons, they're all so terribly flawed, but I do love some more than others. And loved writing them more, too.

jennontheisland
06-08-2010, 09:38 PM
You're doing an interview to schill your book. Answer the question and move on. You're taking this much too seriously.

Phaeal
06-08-2010, 09:38 PM
If I don't like writing about a character, I don't expect the readers to like reading about him, so out he goes.

I'd have a hard time picking one character as a favorite.

invisigirl591
06-08-2010, 09:54 PM
Sorry if I seem like I'm taking it too seriously :/
I really am not... I was just wondering.

MartinD
06-08-2010, 10:08 PM
Me, I like my bad guys best because they're the most fun. As people, I'd hate them. As characters, they're great.

invisigirl591
06-08-2010, 10:13 PM
I guess, as the creator of my characters, I just feel like they're awesome... well because I created them! If I looked at from a real life perspective, there would be many of them (mainly villains) who I would dislike.

semmie
06-08-2010, 11:45 PM
They're professional fiction writers, which means they make up filthy lies for a living. So get in the habit of being a filthy liar and you'll be just like them in no time.

This.

Stormhawk
06-09-2010, 01:55 AM
I love my MC - and I'm ok with this, in different forms, I've been writing her for six years, and at some points I've really, really hated her (to the point of redesigning the 'verse to write her out), but now that she's developed, she's a good character.

Of course, I also love the secondary MC. And the rest of the main cast (even the two characters I hate), and the secondary cast. And, for some reason, characters who only appear in two chapters each. >_<

backslashbaby
06-09-2010, 02:40 AM
I'd say whoever would sound most interesting to potential readers. If I have favorites, it's for sentimental or goofy personal reasons, and you probably had to be there to get it, :D

Jamesaritchie
06-09-2010, 03:00 AM
Not all stories, and not all characters, are equally enjoyable for me. Some are simply more fun to write than others. But by the time I finish a story and go through the edits, particularly with a novel, I hate every character I have, and wish I'd killed them all in a grisly manner.

kaitie
06-09-2010, 03:36 AM
Oh boy, I've got a favorite. But up until him I'd have had to say no, and after him I tend to not quite have favorites as much. I have characters I can't stand, and characters I hate to write, and some who are terrible, terrible people but I just adore (on paper, in real life I'd be running away as fast as I could haha).

The one character I easily call my favorite is just fantastic personality-wise. He clicks with me. I've got other characters who are funnier, or sometimes more interesting, but that guy is without a doubt my favorite to spend time with and I would be very, very surprised if anyone ever topped him.

That being said, I do love all of my MCs. I wouldn't write their books if I didn't. ;) Even the ones I hate and despise at the beginning I love after thirty pages or so. It's hard to know someone so well and not sympathize with them at the very least.

Emily Winslow
06-09-2010, 07:24 PM
I've been answering a lot of interview questions this month, and the "favorite" ones are hard to answer. Not just favorite character of my own--favorite fictional villain, favorite books, favorite mysteries, favorite ANYTHING. You're right, I don't necessarily have a "favorite" that I definitely like better than EVERY OTHER POSSIBLE ANSWER. So, I just pick something that fits the category of "likes a whole lot," something I would consider in my "top 10" not necessarily "number one." I lean toward one that gives me the opportunity to say something I think the audience of that particular interview will find interesting.

Libbie
06-09-2010, 07:29 PM
Strangely, my favorite characters are never my protagonists. Often they're the antagonists, and if they aren't obvious antagonists, they do pose some kind of challenge to the protagonist in some way.

But I definitely do have favorites.