PDA

View Full Version : British betas needed to de-Yank novel, 109K words

Chris P
06-08-2010, 07:24 PM
Hello, my travel novels stars three folks from Birmingham, UK. I recently read a novel by a UK author who used American characters, and it doesn't take much to ruin a book with "rilly" bad accents. Therefore, I would be pleased as punch if I could find a UK beta to seek and destroy any Americanisms in the English characters' dialog.

Of course, more in-depth crits are appreciated.

Vital stats: 109K words, contemporary travel fiction. Early draft of query letter here if interested: http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=182269

I am currently betaing another book, but I will be happy to reciprocate once I'm done with that one. PM if interested.

Thanks!

Darklite
06-08-2010, 07:50 PM
You’ll probably want to de-Americanise your narrative too. I can usually detect when an American is trying to write British. It goes a lot deeper than mere dialogue :)

Chris P
06-08-2010, 07:55 PM
You’ll probably want to de-Americanise your narrative too. I can usually detect when an American is trying to write British. It goes a lot deeper than mere dialogue :)

Bollocks you can! The MC is American. It's written in third person, but the MCs thoughts are the only ones the reader is privy to (I don't know the tech term, 3rd limited?). Therefore, the narrative and all spelling is American. It's the slang used in the dialog I am most interested in.

ETA: Deleted lines from the novel:

"I'm named after John F. Kennedy. My parents idolized everything American."
"Including their spelling," Peter said.

mirandashell
06-08-2010, 10:40 PM
I'm actually from Birmingham so if you want me to have a look at a couple of chapters, I wouldn't mind. Doubt I'll have time to do the whole lot but if it helps....

And trust me, I will pick any wrong slang or voice from the Brummie characters.

Chris P
06-08-2010, 11:39 PM
I'm actually from Birmingham so if you want me to have a look at a couple of chapters, I wouldn't mind. Doubt I'll have time to do the whole lot but if it helps....

And trust me, I will pick any wrong slang or voice from the Brummie characters.

Great! Thank you! I'll PM my email address and I'll send the first chapter (1600 words) and the first 10K words or so of the next (there are only 9 chapters, 5 of which contain a total of 100K words). You can decide from there is you want to read more.