Does anyone remember...

mtrenteseau

Mild-mannered accountant by day...
Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere I read that an agent said she'd be really interested in a romance novel from a male point of view.

So, two questions:

Does anyone remember where, and who it was? and...

For those of you familiar with my book, could it be pitched as a romance novel that happens to have a murder mystery in it? And should it be?

Kilawher

Chronic Semicolon Overuser
Registered
Reaction score
Pretty sure that was Kathleen Ortiz :)

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I believe a lot of agents have said that recently.

If I'm not mistaken, Kathleen Ortiz is one of them, and she has a thread over in the Ask an Agent section. Your question may be a good one to ask her.

:)Smish

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere I read that an agent said she'd be really interested in a romance novel from a male point of view.

So, two questions:

Does anyone remember where, and who it was? and...

For those of you familiar with my book, could it be pitched as a romance novel that happens to have a murder mystery in it? And should it be?

I don't know the romance genre well, but it's certainly worth a shot. Though 21 is driven more by the murder than the romance... So I dunno. How helpful is that? :D My take is, try it! Why not?

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
What about calling it romantic suspense? Or does that not quite work?

mtrenteseau

Mild-mannered accountant by day...
Registered
Reaction score
What about calling it romantic suspense? Or does that not quite work?

I don't know. :) And that's the problem.

I asked Kathleen Ortiz in the Ask an Agent discussion, so I'll see what she says.

The romance is what connects the two main characters, but it's not the source of the suspense.

It's rather like a slower, more in-depth look at Tommy and Tuppence Beresford, who appeard in four novels - in the first they met and fell in love, then they're middle-aged and looking for excitement, then they're older and thinking about buying a vacation home, then they're even older and they buy a retirement home. I've got outlines for five stories, and they only get married in the last one.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
I know Kristin Nelson also talked about wanting more guys. Not specifically for romance, I think, but just in general. :)

Genre is hard. :tongue