PDA

View Full Version : 5th Sorta Annual Purgy Mash-Up!

Pages : [1] 2

Blondchen
06-07-2010, 08:01 PM
You all know the drill by now: I'll be posting the anonymous pairings of original excerpt and mash-up over the next couple of days. Feel free to comment on the writing and guess the authors. Once an excerpt has been "uncovered" the original author can post how their scene REALLY ended.

5th Sorta Annual Purgy Mash-Up Participants!

Tasmin
Houndrat
Firedrake
Sunna
Ink Wench
Callalily
Cheeky Wench
Redzilla
Blondchen
Amarie
Leanan Sidhe
Sunshine13
Dystophil
KBRidges
Lara

Let the games begin!

Blondchen
06-07-2010, 08:02 PM
“Hey, I just got an idea.” He sat up straighter, wondering why it hadn’t occurred to him before. “What about if we got you a notebook? Then you could write out anything you wanted to say? I bet you have awesome stories about places you’ve been and stuff.”

Ember shot up, but Dylan’s hope that it was with excitement over the idea was extinguished in a flash. She pressed one finger to lips.

It was an odd feeling. His stomach sunk and his heart skipped at the same time.

Ember didn’t move. The warmth of her finger melted into his lips, and he had a hard time keeping his eyes open. At last, after several tense seconds of listening to only his breathing—even the nearby highway and birds calling in the trees had gone silent—Dylan took her hand and lowered it.

“Sorry. Too many questions?” He should have known better. Hadn’t he gotten annoyed at the Goldsteins earlier today because of their poking around in his head?

Ember’s nodding broke into that slow smile of hers.

“Okay, I’ll shut—”

She stole his last couple syllables with her mouth. For a glorious second he couldn’t think; his brain went as silent as the park. All he could do was feel the heat of her lips, and how it took over his entire body. Then other senses returned. He could move again. Kiss her back. Wrap his arms around her waist and pull her closer.

Ember sunk into him. Shaking—just from the shock of it all, of course—Dylan slid a hand a hand under her shirt. If he’d thought her lips were hot, he’d had no idea what heat meant. Her skin scalded him, almost as if she’d just come out of an oven, but he didn’t release her.

She wrapped her arms around his neck and shifted to sit on his lap, legs wrapping around his waist. The heat between them made Dylan sweat. He couldn’t remember a time when a girl made him feel this hot.

“Your name suits you, Ember,” he whispered into her neck as he brushed her auburn hair over her shoulder and kissed her there. The heat from her skin almost scalded his lips and yet all he wanted was more. She smiled again and leaned back to lock eye contact.

Dylan’s insides warmed, straight to where she was sitting and shifted her behind off the most uncomfortable spot. The last thing he needed was embarrassment.

“You’re observant,” she purred, holding his gaze. Any thought he had left in his brain slid away. Ember’s bright eyes seemed to dance with mischief as if she knew what hell she was putting him through. She brushed his hair away from his face and kissed him on the mouth, pulling herself back onto his lap completely.

Dylan groaned at the sensation and grabbed her hips, hoping he’d be able to make it through the night without ravishing her. At this rate, he’d surely be damned.

Ember slid from his lap, back onto the bed, and sprawled out beside him. She motioned to him with the crook of one finger as she unbuttoned the top button on her pale pink cotton blouse. Dylan swallowed hard as the breeze from the open window chilled his hot skin and stared at this beauty beckoning him. Goosebumps formed on his arms; Dylan couldn’t decide if it was from her or from the cold, then decided it was ridiculous for him to be thinking about it at all.

Ember retracted her motioning finger and unbuttoned the next one, exposing the lacy bra underneath. Arching a perfectly sculpted eyebrow, she put both arms behind her head.

With the brief separation of their bodies, reason returned to Dylan. He knew he shouldn’t be here.

As if she heard his unsure thoughts, Ember parted her kissed raw lips and spoke.

“What is it Dylan? Don’t you want a taste of the Devil’s daughter?”

houndrat
06-07-2010, 08:09 PM
Oooh, I love this one! The first one is poignant almost, and has this sweetness and innocence to it on behalf of the narrator, and then the next one seems to be more knowing--and the last line is brilliant! :D

I guess Tas for one....

Calla Lily
06-07-2010, 08:10 PM
I shall initiate what is guaranteed to be several days of 100% incorrect guesses:

#1-Leanan
#2-Tas

houndrat
06-07-2010, 08:10 PM
ETA: Love these lines in first one: She stole his last couple syllables with her mouth. For a glorious second he couldn’t think; his brain went as silent as the park.

Love these lines in second: “What is it Dylan? Don’t you want a taste of the Devil’s daughter?”
and also "then decided it was ridiculous for him to be thinking about it at all."

firedrake
06-07-2010, 08:14 PM
I'm joining Lily in the Wild Guesses Club

Christa for first part, KBridges for second.

Love the last line. Teehee.

Blondchen
06-07-2010, 08:17 PM
No hits so far, and it's funny because the original author was POSITIVE she'd be outted right away!

Calla Lily
06-07-2010, 08:18 PM
#1-Amarie?

ink wench
06-07-2010, 08:21 PM
In the spirit of wild guesses, I will go with Hound for the first because she's sneaky like that and would guess other people. And Fire for the second because I just know Fire was itching to write something naughty. :D

CheekyWench
06-07-2010, 08:22 PM
I shall initiate what is guaranteed to be several days of 100% incorrect guesses:

#1-Leanan
#2-Tas

that sounds good :D

Amarie
06-07-2010, 08:24 PM
Lily, nope, not me.

No idea on the second, but the first part sets it up great as YA (at least I hope that was the intention!). This line in particular makes it seem like a teenage boy to me:

"Her skin scalded him, almost as if she’d just come out of an oven, but he didn’t release her."

Ink for the first?

Love the last line of the second.

houndrat
06-07-2010, 08:24 PM
#1 Lara? I'm srsly kinda stumped after Blond's comment--I keep looking at the list and thinking, "what am I missing here?"

:D

ETA: Nope, not me! :)

firedrake
06-07-2010, 08:27 PM
Weren't me.

It's not dirty enough for me. :D

Red-Green
06-07-2010, 08:31 PM
I'm always stumped, but I love the name Ember, especially if she's the Devil's daughter. :D

Shveta
06-07-2010, 08:34 PM
I'm always stumped, but I love the name Ember, especially if she's the Devil's daughter. :D

This. :D

Blondchen
06-07-2010, 08:36 PM
#1-Amarie?

Nope.

In the spirit of wild guesses, I will go with Hound for the first because she's sneaky like that and would guess other people. And Fire for the second because I just know Fire was itching to write something naughty. :D

Nope.

Ink for the first?

DING DING DING! We have our first winner here in the mash-up! It's Ink's original submission!

Now who mashed her up?

houndrat
06-07-2010, 08:39 PM
Awesome! I think I'm so used to Inky's first person (even though her current WIP is in third) that it didn't even register for me. Nice job, Ink--loved it!

houndrat
06-07-2010, 08:39 PM
Christa for part two?

dystophil
06-07-2010, 08:41 PM
Yay Ink! I'm horrible at this, so I'll just make a wild guess and say Cheeky for two? ;)

Tasmin21
06-07-2010, 08:43 PM
Neither were me. Lily for part 2?

ink wench
06-07-2010, 08:43 PM
I guess Tas for one....I beat Houndie's guess-ink-detector! I think that's a first. :e2woo:

Unfortunately, still outed pretty fast though. *sigh*

No idea on the second, but the first part sets it up great as YA (at least I hope that was the intention!). This line in particular makes it seem like a teenage boy to me:

"Her skin scalded him, almost as if she’d just come out of an oven, but he didn’t release her."
I'm so relieved that you especially read that and got teenage boy. I keep wondering if I'm capturing that voice/experience appropriately.

Anyway, the second half cracked me up because it goes nowhere near where the story goes. ;) I'll post the next few paragraphs when I can find them.

Blondchen
06-07-2010, 08:50 PM
Yay Ink! I'm horrible at this, so I'll just make a wild guess and say Cheeky for two? ;)

AND ANOTHER WINNER!

Personally, I thought it was hilarious that the Wenches got paired together in a mash-up. Also, their styles were REALLY complimentary.

Ink, post the rest whenever you want?

Ready for another?

Tasmin21
06-07-2010, 08:53 PM
Thank you sir, may I have another?

firedrake
06-07-2010, 08:55 PM
Yes please :D

Blondchen
06-07-2010, 08:56 PM
“It would be a stupid idea to kill me.” I flashed Jezabel my most convincing smile. Apparently it didn’t impress her or her heavy boot that kept me pinned to the ground. Or her knife aimed right at my throat.

“Really?” Jez raised one coppery eyebrow. What was it with Redheats hating my guts? And anyway weren’t freckles supposed to make you look a little childish, friendly, harmless? Bull shit. In Jezabel Mando they brought out the badass. Her hair glowed like hellfire in the fading sunlight. “I think killing you is the best idea I’ve had in the last century or so.”

“But I know where the key is. The ghosts told me. You’ve seen it, remember?”

“Shifter,” Jez said, rolling the word back and forth on her tongue, relishing it. I wished she’d stop calling me that. Right after she let me go and be on my way to betray her again. They say if you have partners like me, you don’t need enemies. They may be right and damn me if I regretted anything I had done. It had been necessary, damn it.

“Liar,” Jez said, voice suddenly distant, reminiscing. “You always lied. You lied about the ghosts, you lied about the Cursebreakers, you lied about who you are. Lies, all of it. It’s your fault they’re dead. You killed my family. You. Not them. It’s never been them.”

Jez’ eyes burned with blue fire. “But I’m done waiting. Done following you around. It’s your turn now. Finally.”

“Yes,” I swallowed, carefully, eyes fixed on her hand holding the knife. “I can see your point. But don’t you think that now that you have your chance, revenge tastes stale and bitter and maybe just a tad unfulfilling?”

Jez cocked her head to the side, considering.

“No,” she said and drove the knife in.

I won't lie.

The knife hurt. The first, fierce bite of cold metal was replaced by a slow burn. The Gods alone know, I should''ve been used to it by now. I'd died a thousand deaths in my time.

But every one brought a different kind of pain. Hell, I could write a book about the many cruel and unusual ways idiots like Jez have tried to kill me.

It was hard to speak. I stared up at her harmless freckles. Her smile was triumphant, frightening. Anyone else might've been scared. I sure as hell wasn't.

I closed my eyes and waited. It wouldn't be long now. Already the fire gathered in the pit of my stomach. I saw it - a glowing rope uncoiling like a snake, rising within me. It spread through my veins, fed tissue and sinew. That old magic never let me down. Bless it.

Jez withdrew the knife, her boot heel slid away. The scent of blood, my blood rose into the evening air. A scent that would bring every Howler within ten miles out of the woods. Sure enough, the first piercing screech echoed through the trees. It sounded like a Banshee on a bad day.

"Shit." Jez's blade hissed against its scabbard.

This seemed like an appropriate moment.

I opened my eyes and smiled at her. The pale, amber vapor escaped with my breath. It caught the last of the daylight and took shape. I hadn't seen this one before, hunched and twisting, with long, sinuous limbs that unfurled towards Jez. She whimpered and backed away.

"What the...?"

I sat up, brushing the dry fragments of last year's leaves from my shirt. "I told you it would be a stupid idea to kill me."

I don't rightly recall who screamed louder - Jez or the Howler when it sprang from the trees.

Stupid, stupid girl.

ink wench
06-07-2010, 08:59 PM
Had to go find the file. Here's a few more paragraphs. (Btw, Dylan is 16, and Ember is mute. Nor is Ember her real name. This is (http://inkwench.wordpress.com/2010/01/05/teaser-tuesday-fire-dance/).)

“Hey, I just got an idea.” He sat up straighter, wondering why it hadn’t occurred to him before. “What about if we got you a notebook? Then you could write out anything you wanted to say? I bet you have awesome stories about places you’ve been and stuff.”

Ember shot up, but Dylan’s hope that it was with excitement over the idea was extinguished in a flash. She pressed one finger to lips.

It was an odd feeling. His stomach sunk and his heart skipped at the same time.

Ember didn’t move. The warmth of her finger melted into his lips, and he had a hard time keeping his eyes open. At last, after several tense seconds of listening to only his breathing—even the nearby highway and birds calling in the trees had gone silent—Dylan took her hand and lowered it.

“Sorry. Too many questions?” He should have known better. Hadn’t he gotten annoyed at the Goldsteins earlier today because of their poking around in his head?

Ember’s nodding broke into that slow smile of hers.

“Okay, I’ll shut—”

She stole his last couple syllables with her mouth. For a glorious second he couldn’t think; his brain went as silent as the park. All he could do was feel the heat of her lips, and how it took over his entire body. Then other senses returned. He could move again. Kiss her back. Wrap his arms around her waist and pull her closer.

Ember sunk into him. Shaking—just from the shock of it all, of course—Dylan slid a hand a hand under her shirt. If he’d thought her lips were hot, he’d had no idea what heat meant. Her skin scalded him, almost as if she’d just come out of an oven, but he didn’t release her.
She ran her tongue over his lips, and Dylan tightened his grip on her back. A thought flitted through his mind—something felt off about it. But he dismissed it easily. Who cared? He was kissing her at last.

Eventually though, she broke away, leaving him gasping. Her skirt had bunched up around her knees as she’d leaned into him. Feeling a bit more confident, Dylan traced the curve down her back, and rested his hand on her leg. Her entire body felt like it was on fire, but then so did his right now.

Ember reached over again and kissed his eyelids. Weird, but he’d take what he could get. He started toward her again, but she moved out of the way before he could reach her and climbed off the merry-go-round.

“What?”

Grinning, she grabbed his hands and tugged. Dylan got up reluctantly and let her lead him to the swing set. His footsteps released the stench of fresh mulch into the air. All he wanted was to bury his face in her skin again, let its scent overpower the mulch, but Ember plopped down on one of the swings. She had that delighted expression again, not as hot as when she’d been eating the ice cream, but just as enraptured. Like she hadn’t been let out on a playground in years. Maybe she hadn’t. It was something else he didn’t want to think about. Anyway her enthusiasm was contagious. As with the joy of the fires, he’d rather just give in to it.

“Should I push you?”

Ember nodded. A regal nod but playful. He could discern some meaning among her gestures.

So feeling valiant, he pushed her.

When she stopped swinging, he kissed her some more.

houndrat
06-07-2010, 09:00 PM
OMG, this one is sooooo awesome! Love the set-up--what great imagination in there!--plus love the imagery in the continuation! Great job, whoever you ladies are!

#1 is Tas?????

Tasmin21
06-07-2010, 09:01 PM
Dunno who wrote it, but I wanna read it!

ink wench
06-07-2010, 09:01 PM
No guesses, but I'd read it!

houndrat
06-07-2010, 09:02 PM
ETA: Love these lines from #1:

Her hair glowed like hellfire in the fading sunlight.
“Shifter,” Jez said, rolling the word back and forth on her tongue, relishing it.

and from #2:

Already the fire gathered in the pit of my stomach. I saw it - a glowing rope uncoiling like a snake, rising within me. It spread through my veins, fed tissue and sinew.

Also--maybe Lily for #2?

Blondchen
06-07-2010, 09:08 PM
No right guesses so far. I have to say, #2 did an awesome job of continuing with the tone and imagery of #1. I bet she didn't know she had it in her... :D

CheekyWench
06-07-2010, 09:09 PM
Ink ! That's awesome!! :D

CheekyWench
06-07-2010, 09:11 PM
ooho. Wild Guesses galore.. I'm gonna say Lilly and Sunna

firedrake
06-07-2010, 09:12 PM
I'm guessing Red for #1

Blondchen
06-07-2010, 09:13 PM
ooho. Wild Guesses galore.. I'm gonna say Lilly and Sunna

I'm guessing Red for #1

ummmmmm.

NO.

houndrat
06-07-2010, 09:16 PM
Christa for number two?

Amarie
06-07-2010, 09:18 PM
I'm guessing Blond for #1. I love this line: "revenge tastes stale and bitter and maybe just a tad unfulfilling?”

I'll guess Fire for 2, based on Blond's hint and the lovely description-love the 'pale amber vapor' paragraph.

firedrake
06-07-2010, 09:19 PM
I'm guessing Blond for #1. I love this line: "revenge tastes stale and bitter and maybe just a tad unfulfilling?”

I'll guess Fire for 2, based on Blond's hint and the lovely description-love the 'pale amber vapor' paragraph.

You got me bang to rights, Occifer. :D

houndrat
06-07-2010, 09:21 PM
Yay Fire--that was fabulous! Kicking myself, too--I soooo should have guessed you based on that awesome imagery! I'm way off my form this time--BOO!

:)

Blondchen
06-07-2010, 09:28 PM

Damn, Dee. You're good at this!

Though I didn't write Part 1 I'm SO FREAKING FLATTERED someone thought I could!

CheekyWench
06-07-2010, 09:28 PM
You got me bang to rights, Occifer. :D

too cool! :D loved it!

firedrake
06-07-2010, 09:29 PM
I'm going to say Sunna for #1.
Whoever it is, they gave me a great set-up.

Blondchen
06-07-2010, 09:38 PM
Nope.

Calla Lily
06-07-2010, 09:40 PM
Both my guesses are toast. Serves me right for going to lunch.

Ink, that is a neat story!

Amarie
06-07-2010, 09:42 PM
Okay, I'll say Lara or Dystophil for #1

houndrat
06-07-2010, 09:46 PM
Lily for one?

Calla Lily
06-07-2010, 09:47 PM
Nope.

Blondchen
06-07-2010, 09:50 PM
Okay, I'll say Lara or Dystophil for #1

Dee is sort of freaking me out here. Dys totally wrote #1!!!!

Freaking. Me. Out.

Einmal?

dystophil
06-07-2010, 09:52 PM
hahaha, totally nailed me there, Dee :)

LOVE the awesome job you did with the continuation, Fire :D This is the first snip I've written for my new WIP so far and it should be...fun? ;)

Amarie
Dee is sort of freaking me out here. Dys totally wrote #1!!!!

Calla Lily
Way cool, Dys and fire! :Hail:

CheekyWench
06-07-2010, 09:53 PM
Those are soo good!! I'm not worthy!

ink wench
06-07-2010, 09:54 PM
Awesome, Dys and Fire!

And Amarie, holy crap!

houndrat
06-07-2010, 09:54 PM
Awesome job, Dys and Fire!!!! Loved both snips!

Blondchen
06-07-2010, 09:56 PM
I think this Mash-Up is dedicated to our very own CLOVIA.

~~~~~

Lulu’s rapid-fire barking yanked Jenny from the most amazing dream, replacing the languid cocoon of sleep with a hot burst of panic.

Shit.

She stumbled out of bed and fumbled for the hunting knife she stashed between the mattresses, trying not to shiver as her bare feet hit the frigid hardwood floor. Weapon in hand, she shoved her feet into the shoes she kept bedside—just in case—and grabbed the flashlight off her dresser. Electricity had been out in her neighborhood for going on a week, and the nights had been black as tar. No way was she facing whatever had Lulu in a tizzy blind.

The soft, wavering beam of the flashlight illuminated the stairs as she crept down, one at a time, shadows flickering like live creatures just outside the beam’s reach. Shadows ….God. Not now. She couldn’t think about that now.

“Lulu, quiet!” she hissed at the bottom of the stairs. The dog’s big white head turned to her. A soft whine escaped the wolf-like muzzle before Lulu’s attention fixated back on the window. To whatever was lurking outside.

“Please, please tell me it’s a bunny.” The jack-hammering of her heart said otherwise, though. Bunnies didn’t wake Lulu up in the middle of the night. Bunnies didn’t...but the shadow creatures might.

We’re coming for you. We’re coming…..

A faint noise from outside froze her to the floor. No.

But wait. Not a growl or a slither. Muffled laughter. Like a teenager’s, maybe, or a child’s.

The shadows didn’t laugh…did they?

Rushing forward, she thrust Lulu back with her foot, slid the locks, and inched open the door. Silence, thick and eerie, like something had swallowed every last sound. Then, as her light swept the yard, she saw them.

Oh, god.

A nauseating combination of horror and laughter congealed in her throat. She had to scream to slide the words out.

“ARE YOU NUTS? GET OFF MY LAWN!”

She couldn’t believe they had chosen to move their idiotic ceremony here. The goat lay on the ground in the center of the dancers, its throat slashed. The rank smell of it rose over the scent of the burning wood from the fire, making her stomach heave. Justin stood next to it in his dark robe, his hands raised to the night sky. His followers had dipped their fingers in its blood, and drawn lines of it on their faces, like war paint. They moved in a circle around the goat, chanting and swaying, ridiculous in their bedsheets. Some faint traces of civilization still remained in them; no one wanted to be mistaken for the KKK, so none of the sheets were white. In other circumstances she would have laughed at the sight of them in their bright stripes and floral prints and polka dots. Not tonight.

Justin’s usual small crowd of followers were the sad and the harmless - poor Mr. Siegel, who spent his days walking the streets calling for his dog Bobo, missing some thirty years now, and Angie Evenhart, whose only crime against humanity was her son Bob, a world-class wanker. Tonight there were dozens more, people she didn’t recognize.

“GET OFF MY LAWN!” she screamed pushing her way through and grabbing the sleeve of Justin’s robe.

He turned to her, giving her that creepy beatific smile seen only on Renaissance Madonnas with their hovering cherub posses, and on the seriously insane.

“We’ve seen them,” he said, picking up a knife, dark with goat blood, from the ground. She flinched back, but the crowd pressed against her, trapping her.

“We’ve seen them and they are coming for us.” He licked a drop of blood from the tip of the knife, then plunged it into his throat.

Calla Lily
06-07-2010, 09:58 PM
:roll: I love it.

#1-sunna
#2-Blond

sunna
06-07-2010, 10:03 PM
Man, these are so good! I'm glad I got back in time to do some guessing. :)

And I go with Amarie for #1..... Leanan for #2? Maybe?

dystophil
06-07-2010, 10:03 PM
Hahahha, awesome and I heart the creepy in #2 :D

#1 - Tas
#2 - Blond (totally seconding Lily's guess here ;))

CheekyWench
06-07-2010, 10:05 PM
#1 Tas
#2 Red??

houndrat
06-07-2010, 10:05 PM
Hmmm.... #1 Blond, #2 Tas?

Blondchen
06-07-2010, 10:08 PM
:roll: I love it.

#1-sunna
#2-Blond

Man, these are so good! I'm glad I got back in time to do some guessing. :)

And I go with Amarie for #1..... Leanan for #2? Maybe?

Hahahha, awesome and I heart the creepy in #2 :D

#1 - Tas
#2 - Blond (totally seconding Lily's guess here ;))

#1 Tas
#2 Red??

Hmmm.... #1 Blond, #2 Tas?

Alas, I take no credit for this masterpiece.

However, one of you was "close."

Calla Lily
06-07-2010, 10:10 PM
sunna for #1 because it totally stars Her Dogginess.

sunna
06-07-2010, 10:14 PM
Nawp: sadly, I cannot claim this masterpiece. :)

But you're right, that does almost look like a Dogginess cameo...

Tasmin21
06-07-2010, 10:16 PM
I just love how I get blamed for everything. ;)

Neither of these was mine.

houndrat
06-07-2010, 10:19 PM
Amarie for part 2?

Blondchen
06-07-2010, 10:21 PM
Amarie for part 2?

Ooo, good eyes Houndie! You get a cookie. Now WHOEVER COULD SHE HAVE BEEN MASHING??????

Calla Lily
06-07-2010, 10:23 PM
Humph. Obviously she's mashing you, Blond.

Amarie
06-07-2010, 10:30 PM
I had to run out for a bit, but now that I'm back, I totally thought it was Lily while I was writing.

CheekyWench
06-07-2010, 10:30 PM

pork chop!

What about Leanan?

Calla Lily
06-07-2010, 10:33 PM
*hugs* Thanks for the compliment, Amarie!

houndrat
06-07-2010, 10:34 PM
I think number one was Clovia.

Calla Lily
06-07-2010, 10:35 PM

If it was, and Blond's messing with our heads to that extent, I am totally going to redshirt her in Book 3.

Blondchen
06-07-2010, 10:37 PM

Nope. Try again!

Blondchen
06-07-2010, 10:37 PM

THE ANSWER IS STARING YOU RIGHT IN THE FACE PEOPLE!

Amarie
06-07-2010, 10:38 PM
Hound with a big grin.

ETA: Ack! and I have to leave again. *double snarl*

houndrat
06-07-2010, 10:39 PM
Hee hee, busted.

CheekyWench
06-07-2010, 10:40 PM
Hee hee, busted.

LOL oooh sneaky sneaky

Calla Lily
06-07-2010, 10:42 PM
Hound = :e2seesaw:

Blond = :e2seesaw:

ink wench
06-07-2010, 10:42 PM
Hee hee, busted.See? She's up to her old tricks again. :e2moon:

Blondchen
06-07-2010, 10:47 PM
Hee hee, busted.

DO NOT TRUST THE BLONDE WRITER FROM SAN DIEGO!

Pocquito mas?

Calla Lily
06-07-2010, 10:48 PM
Yes, please, more. It's keeping me sane as I work on Irritable Bowel Syndrome forms. Blergh.

Blondchen
06-07-2010, 10:49 PM
By the side of a river, in a town far away, there was a forest. It was a large, fine forest, and fairies dwelled inside, for fairies still lived in those days. It happened that an old woman and her two sons lived nearby. They were very poor, and one day the two sons decided to venture into the forest and seek their fortune in fairy treasure.

They gathered up things of iron, for it was well known that fairies hated iron, and met near the forest’s edge. Now, the older brother had brought nails taken from a shed, and the younger had brought a fork. When the older brother saw this, he grew angry and said, “That's sterling silver, dipshit.”

“Nuh-uh. It's iron.”

“Are you retarded or something? You want the fairies to get you?”

“You’re a fucking fairy.”

“Dude. Whatever. Let’s just go.”

They entered the forest, and soon a feeling of dread came over the younger brother. He wished to turn back, but the older brother taunted him, saying, “You gonna piss your pants? Gonna run back to Mommy?” They continued on, when suddenly a voice cried:

‘Go back, go back, young brothers two,
Lest the fair folk capture you.’

The brothers looked up and saw that the voice came from a squirrel.
“Fucking squirrels,” the older brother said.
The brothers walked on, but then a voice cried out again:

The brothers looked up and saw that the voice came from a bird.

“Fucking birds,” the older brother said.

The brothers walked on, and eventually they came to the deepest, darkest part of the forest.

Again, the warning call came.

Though they looked high and low, they could see no source for the haunting cry. The younger brother quaked in his shoes.

“Maybe it was a ghost.”

“It ain’t no fucking ghost.” The older brother struck the younger a blow to the head in chiding.

“Ow!”

“You really do have shit for brains.”

Now, as even the brothers knew, to be warned thrice is a magical thing among the fairies, but still they pressed on, though the light of day was fast waning behind them. Further and further into the dark wood they went, though they knew their path could be beset by all manner of guardians of the fairy kingdom.

They risked running afoul of manticores, jabberwocks, and R.O.U.S.s

“Wait, we what?” Something made the younger brother pause on his path once again. “No, not something. You. We gotta go in there and face what?”

“What the fuck are you talking about?” The elder brother was growing quite cross.

“That! That voice!”

“You been smoking my stash?”

The younger threw his pack down on the path. “I have had it! This voice keeps telling us what to do, so we go walking blindly into who knows what, all for a couple pieces of gold with glitter on ‘em?”

“Hey, you said you were in for this. You wussin’ out?”

“Damn straight! I’m not gonna go in there and get eaten!” Tired of his brother’s overbearing ways, the younger planted his feet and refused to be moved. “Oh hell no! I’m gonna move! I’m gonna move right the hell out of this crazy place!”

And with that, he stomped back the way they’d come, leaving the elder brother to stand there alone in puzzlement.

“Nah, he’s right. Screw this. I’m going home.”

Excuse me?

“You heard me! I’m going home! You go find someone else to boss around, I’m outta here.”

Oh. I see.

You know….it is rather dark in here.

Brothers! Wait for me!

Calla Lily
06-07-2010, 10:51 PM
:ROFL:

Red
Blond

Blondchen
06-07-2010, 10:51 PM
Does anyone else miss Steve's meticulous Mash-Up record keeping?

Red-Green
06-07-2010, 10:52 PM

“You been smoking my stash?”

:roll:

And I have no clue who the mashee or the masher are. I'm useless.

Yes, I do miss Steve's Mashup Meticulousness.

Blondchen

Red
Blond

No, and no.

CheekyWench
fucking squirrels. lmao

Parametric
06-07-2010, 10:53 PM
Hahahaha. I just (belatedly) got the R.O.U.S.s reference.

Calla Lily
06-07-2010, 10:54 PM
No, and no.

Maybe I'll redshirt you out of frustration at my abominable guessing. Yanno, shooting the messenger, and all.

Tasmin21
06-07-2010, 10:55 PM
Dys already did a part 1, right? Hmm...

sunna
06-07-2010, 10:59 PM
Lara for #1?

Blondchen
06-07-2010, 11:05 PM
nerp

CheekyWench
06-07-2010, 11:10 PM
Leanan & Red?

Tasmin21
06-07-2010, 11:13 PM
KBridges for part 1.

Blondchen
06-07-2010, 11:16 PM
Leanan & Red?

Ooo, you're half right!

ink wench
06-07-2010, 11:17 PM
Because someone has to take over being all organized.... Mashers to date:

Tasmin
Houndrat - 1
Firedrake - 2
Sunna
Ink Wench - 1
Callalily
Cheeky Wench - 2
Redzilla
Blondchen
Amarie - 2
Leanan Sidhe
Sunshine13
Dystophil - 1
KBRidges
Lara

Calla Lily
06-07-2010, 11:18 PM
ink rocks.

sunna
06-07-2010, 11:19 PM
Awesomeness, Ink!

Okay, I'm going to for Tas or Sunshine for #2.

Blondchen
06-07-2010, 11:20 PM
Awesomeness, Ink!

Okay, I'm going to for Tas or Sunshine for #2.

That one. Honestly, I'm surprised it wasn't more obvious!

Tasmin21
06-07-2010, 11:22 PM
Leanan - I didn't know if you intended it to be funny, but I got the giggles and it kinda went down hill from there. ;) I had so much fun with this!

ink wench
06-07-2010, 11:24 PM
That mashup was freaking hilarious. Applause all around.

Tasmin - 2
Houndrat - 1
Firedrake - 2
Sunna
Ink Wench - 1
Callalily
Cheeky Wench - 2
Redzilla
Blondchen
Amarie - 2
Leanan Sidhe - 1
Sunshine13
Dystophil - 1
KBRidges
Lara

Okay, someone else might need to keep up with the tallying because I'm about to disappear for a while....

firedrake
06-07-2010, 11:31 PM
That mashup was freaking hilarious. Applause all around.

Tasmin - 2
Houndrat - 1
Firedrake - 2
Sunna
Ink Wench - 1
Callalily
Cheeky Wench - 2
Redzilla
Blondchen
Amarie - 2
Leanan Sidhe - 1
Sunshine13
Dystophil - 1
KBRidges
Lara

Okay, someone else might need to keep up with the tallying because I'm about to disappear for a while....

Wrong-o. Only one of mine so far. :D

Tasmin21
06-07-2010, 11:40 PM
Wrong-o. Only one of mine so far. :D

I think she meant that you did a part 2, not that you'd done 2. ;)

sunna
06-07-2010, 11:45 PM
Nice job, you two! That one was hilarious. I thought the continuation kept the tone quite nicely. :)

Blondchen
06-07-2010, 11:49 PM
What say you all, one more for today?

Calla Lily
06-07-2010, 11:50 PM
Quick, quick! I'm leaving work in 10 minutes and won't be back online for hours!

sunna
06-07-2010, 11:54 PM
:Jump:

CheekyWench
06-07-2010, 11:55 PM
What say you all, one more for today?

dooo eeeet!

Blondchen
06-07-2010, 11:56 PM
For Lily.

~~~~~

The dark-haired boy attempted a last desperate parry that sent him wildly off balance. He stumbled over his own feet as he tried to retreat and went flailing into the dirt with a thud. “Peace, Hamad, peace!” Dropping his sword, he held his empty hand up in entreaty to the advancing man-mountain.

With no change of expression, the dark man reversed his grip and drove his wooden blade into the soil next to his opponent’s head, pinning one dark curl to the ground. “An enemy will not stop, if you fall. Get up.”

Pascal dan’Ellum remained sprawled where he was, narrow chest heaving as he tried to catch his breath. “I’m done in, Hamad. I’m tired. Can we stop now?”

“An enemy will not stop because you are tired. Get up!”

“Hamad…” He was whining, and he knew it.

“Get up!” Quick as a jungle cat, the ebony warrior whirled, snatching up Pascal’s fallen weapon and swinging it at the downed boy’s head in one smooth motion.

His body responding on instinct, the younger man managed to roll out of the way in time, but he winced as his pinned lock of hair was ripped from his head. “Ow!”

Hamad snorted, shaking his head. “Pulled hair is small compared to the injuries you could have received. You must push yourself, amat’ran. An enemy will not care for your weakness, except to savor the advantage it gives them. You must be more than what your body allows you to be.” Leaning down, he offered his hand to his fallen charge. “I will not always be there to protect you.”

Pascal took the offered hand, allowing his bodyguard to pull him to his feet. He grimaced as he looked down at his dust-covered clothes, making a vain attempt to brush himself clean. “You’re not going anywhere, Hamad.”

“I will go where God leads me, Pascal. Even if it is away from your side, one day.” He picked up both swords and offered one of them, hilt first, to the young man. “Again.”

“Hamad—Hamad—Hamad!”

A small whirlwind of skirts and limbs leapt at the swordmaster. At the same moment he let the swords fall, balancing them so the points faced away from his attackers.

“Mihri. Nisa’i. Your lessons finished early today?” Laughter lurked beneath his stern voice.

“You are too familiar, Hasan,” Mihri said.

“You know you are to call us by our title. Father said so,” Nisa’i said.

“We heard him!”

“We hid behind the tapestry in the throne room.”

Both girls dissolved into giggles, tried to swallow it beneath Hamad’s frown, and failed. Everything about them was identical, except their dress: One twin wore skirts of lavender, the other of blue. The jewels in their long, black hair glittered in the sunlight as their heads shook.

“Indeed, amat’samas, you are correct. Such wisdom from ones so young.” He bowed.

“We are not young!”

“We will be eight summers old on the next full moon!”

“We know what we want for a present, Hamad.”

“If it is in my power to give, amat’sama, I am at your service.”

“No!” Pascal stepped between his sisters and the swordmaster. “Away with you, chattering peacocks. This is the prince’s battle skills lesson. Go to your nursemaid and learn to sew or something.”

As one, the girls stuck out the tips of their tongues at him. “You are only eleven, amat’ran—” imbuing the title with scornful giggles—“so don’t pretend you can order us around. That is for our husbands—if we let them.”

“Amat’samas, what was it you wished to ask of me?”

“Oh! We almost forgot.” Nisa’i grabbed Mihri’s hand and they stood square before him. “We want you to teach us swordcraft.”

“What?” Pascal’s hands aimed for the girls’ heads, but Hamad stopped him before the prince could box their ears. “Does father know about this?”

“Mother does, and she’s going to speak to father, so there!” Mihri tossed her head in a perfect imitation of her lady-in-waiting.

Pascal, cheeks burning, looked up at Hamad’s solemn face. “You will not agree to this? How can I be the leader of this realm if these walking demons are taught as though they are my equals?” When the swordmaster didn’t answer, Pascal said, “Hamad, you can’t let them!”

His trainer merely gazed at him. Pascal’s cheeks flamed an even deeper crimson.

“All are equal in God’s eyes, amat’ran. King and peasant, brother and sister. A wise ruler always remembers this. A wise and mature ruler.”

Pascal’s heart burned in unison with his face.

Hamad smiled at the princesses. “Amat’samas, I will be honored to teach you swordcraft.”

They squealed.

“As soon as your father gives me permission from his own lips.”

The squeals became groans. Then they stood straight and tall—as tall as Hamad’s belt, at least. “We’ll ask him right now, Hamad. Then we’ll use our sewing skills to make proper clothes for our lessons.” The tongues reappeared, again aimed at Pascal, before they ran back toward the palace.

Pascal waited for Hamad’s rebuke. After a moment, the master placed his large, calloused hands on his shoulders.

“Pascal. Do you not wish to protect your sisters, as a good brother—and future king—should?”

The prince nodded.

“And shouldn’t your sisters understand that their older brother is cleverer and more skilled than they?”

Pascal raised his eyes to Hamad and saw the smile in them. Hamad hooked a shoe under one of the swords and flipped it, hilt-first, into Pascal’s ready hands.

“Now let me show you something I learned from my own father.” He bent and picked up the other sword in one fluid movement. “I learned this the day after my older sister gave me this on the practice ground.” He pointed to the one-inch scar just above his left elbow.

Pascal’s weariness vanished.

Tasmin21
06-08-2010, 12:01 AM
Oh this was awesome!

CheekyWench
06-08-2010, 12:03 AM
Yeah... this is just too damn cool.

Sunna??
Blond??

Amarie
06-08-2010, 12:07 AM
This is very cool. I have no idea for #1, but I'm going to say Lara for 2.

firedrake
06-08-2010, 12:10 AM
I have no bloody idea but it was brilliant!

Clever premise and great continuation. :Hail:

Calla Lily
06-08-2010, 12:11 AM
Argh, argh, argh, I have to gooooo!

Lara
Sunna

Back God knows when. :(

Blondchen
06-08-2010, 12:13 AM
No correct guesses so far, but yes, this one freaking ROCKED IT!

Amarie
06-08-2010, 12:13 AM
Okay, I'll go for Tas for #1, Lara for #2

ETA: Maybe not!, crosspost with Blond. Hmmm..

Amarie
06-08-2010, 12:15 AM
Sunna for #1? Ink for #2?

CheekyWench
06-08-2010, 12:16 AM
Kbridges and Red?

houndrat
06-08-2010, 12:16 AM
Sorry, was off for a bit--that last one was freaking hysterical--nice job, ladies!

This one is amazing, too. Amarie for part 1?

ETA: oops, she just guessed. curses!

houndrat
06-08-2010, 12:17 AM
ETA: Lily for part 2?

Tasmin21
06-08-2010, 12:18 AM

ETA: Maybe not!, crosspost with Blond. Hmmm..

Ding ding, you got me!

This is the opening (part of it anyway) to the unwritten sequel to my unfinished pirate...thingy. Don't ask. ;)

But when I find out who did the mash, I got stuffs to say! This knocked my socks off.

sunna
06-08-2010, 12:18 AM
This one is so cool!

Red for 2?

Red-Green
06-08-2010, 12:21 AM
not me, tho I wish it were. very cool!!

Amarie
06-08-2010, 12:21 AM
Ding ding, you got me!

This is the opening (part of it anyway) to the unwritten sequel to my unfinished pirate...thingy. Don't ask. ;)

But when I find out who did the mash, I got stuffs to say! This knocked my socks off.

I want to read this..thingy..:)

CheekyWench
06-08-2010, 12:22 AM
Ding ding, you got me!

That was awesome :D

houndrat
06-08-2010, 12:23 AM

Hee, I just repped her the same thing!

Tasmin21
06-08-2010, 12:24 AM

Someday, I want to go back and rework Avarice (the first book in this trilogy). Avarice tells the story of Pascal's older sister, then the second and third books are largely Pascal's. But yeah...someday. I loved it too much to ever trunk it permanently.

Blondchen
06-08-2010, 12:27 AM

Well you got half of it!

Blondchen
06-08-2010, 12:28 AM
ETA: Lily for part 2?

Aaaaaand we have another winner, kids!

Amarie
06-08-2010, 12:29 AM
:Hail: to both

CheekyWench
06-08-2010, 12:29 AM
y'all rock! :D

Sunshine13
06-08-2010, 12:30 AM
Bah I'm coming in late to the game *goes to read what she's missed*

Tasmin21
06-08-2010, 12:31 AM
Ooh Lily! And she had to go away! *sulk*

But I gotta babble all this stuff out, 'cause I'm geeking out a little:

Ok, here’s the part that blew my mind with this one: You not only picked up on the foreign words I used, but you interpreted them (and adapted them) more or less correctly.

Amat’ran, loosely translated, means “Prince of my heart”. Amat is the “heart” portion, and the ‘ran suffix is an honorific, indicating a prince in this case. And yes, in this particular language, the male and female would have a clear delineation, so the feminine of it would be amat’something else. (never had a female one to worry about in the book, so I never made it up.) So amat’sama makes as much sense as anything else! I thought that was so freaking awesome.

And that is exactly the kind of advice Hamad would give Pascal. He’s very intent on making Pascal the kind of ruler every kingdom should have.

Eta: Should be noted that Pascal's sister is referred to as "Ashma'ran", loosely translated to "honored brigand" or pirate princess. ;) But this society doesn't have female brigands, so they give her the male honorific. Who's a big dork? Tas is a big dork!

Vespertilion
06-08-2010, 12:37 AM
Wow. Props to all the mashers, and a big HEE for the sacrifice on the lawn :D Number four killed me--so freaking funny.

I feel like such a poser every time these mash-ups come up--you guys are all amazing.

firedrake
06-08-2010, 12:40 AM
Ooh Lily! And she had to go away! *sulk*

But I gotta babble all this stuff out, 'cause I'm geeking out a little:

Ok, here’s the part that blew my mind with this one: You not only picked up on the foreign words I used, but you interpreted them (and adapted them) more or less correctly.

Amat’ran, loosely translated, means “Prince of my heart”. Amat is the “heart” portion, and the ‘ran suffix is an honorific, indicating a prince in this case. And yes, in this particular language, the male and female would have a clear delineation, so the feminine of it would be amat’something else. (never had a female one to worry about in the book, so I never made it up.) So amat’sama makes as much sense as anything else! I thought that was so freaking awesome.

And that is exactly the kind of advice Hamad would give Pascal. He’s very intent on making Pascal the kind of ruler every kingdom should have.

Eta: Should be noted that Pascal's sister is referred to as "Ashma'ran", loosely translated to "honored brigand" or pirate princess. ;) But this society doesn't have female brigands, so they give her the male honorific. Who's a big dork? Tas is a big dork!

That is what blew my mind. That Lily didn't just write a new bit, she took the time and trouble to continue with the language.

It truly was awesome and such a great premise.

CheekyWench
06-08-2010, 12:43 AM
That is what blew my mind. That Lily didn't just write a new bit, she took the time and trouble to continue with the language.

It truly was awesome and such a great premise.

I agree.

Sunshine13
06-08-2010, 12:45 AM
Wow! What a great first day of mas-up!!!!1

dystophil
06-08-2010, 12:48 AM
Just got caught up reading and wow, amazing job everyone :D

sunna
06-08-2010, 01:39 AM
Tas, Lily, amazing job, seriously.

houndrat
06-08-2010, 01:44 AM
I bow before everyone's awesomeness today! :D

Blondchen
06-08-2010, 01:54 AM
Twas an awesome day.

So I'll try to post one in the morning when I get up since I have to hit the polls tomorrow. That will give you guys something to gnaw on until I get to work!

Calla Lily
06-08-2010, 02:51 AM
*waves* I'm back, finally!

Tas, I loved loved loved the rhythm and flow of this piece! It's so different from what I usually write. I'm so glad I made you geek out. :heart: I did a bit of research on the way the names sounded to me, and just went balls-out on it. When I was done, I actually wanted to start the next chapter with Pascal grown up, on a ship (really!) or gearing up for a battle, and remembering this day as the moment he got a clue.

I love Pascal and Hamad. Thanks, Blond, for giving me this piece!

CheekyWench
06-08-2010, 03:07 AM
*waves* I'm back, finally!

Tas, I loved loved loved the rhythm and flow of this piece! It's so different from what I usually write. I'm so glad I made you geek out. :heart: I did a bit of research on the way the names sounded to me, and just went balls-out on it. When I was done, I actually wanted to start the next chapter with Pascal grown up, on a ship (really!) or gearing up for a battle, and remembering this day as the moment he got a clue.

I thought it was seamless!
Y'all finish the story and lemme read it.
:D :D

Blondchen
06-08-2010, 03:08 AM

I take no credit. I literally pull numbers out of a hat!

ink wench
06-08-2010, 03:25 AM
Excellent stuff, Tas and Lily!

Tasmin - 2, 1
Houndrat - 1
Firedrake - 2
Sunna
Ink Wench - 1
Callalily - 2
Cheeky Wench - 2
Redzilla
Blondchen
Amarie - 2
Leanan Sidhe - 1
Sunshine13
Dystophil - 1
KBRidges
Lara

Tasmin21
06-08-2010, 07:29 AM
Normally, we post how our mashup really continued. Unfortunately, mine didn't really continue much beyond where I cut it off for ya'll. But here is the scene, in its entirety, for whatever it's worth.

~*!*~

The sound of wooden practice swords clashing echoed sharply through the small private courtyard as an odd pair of combatants faced off. Only the gray stone walls and a few impertinent bushes, all tinted a uniform shade of brown by the summer dust, bore witness to the contest.

The smaller of the two men was thin and pale-skinned, still growing out of his gangly adolescent stage. He moved with an awkwardness that spoke to how uncomfortable he still was with his newly lengthened limbs. His dark curls were pulled back in a tight club at the back of his neck, but a few rebellious locks had sprung free and were now plastered to his forehead with sweat. His clothes bore more than one sign of the fight, being filthy and torn, though apparently no wound had been enough to draw blood. The sounds of his gasping breath punctuated each blow as he tried to parry and block the strikes from his older, larger opponent. His hazel eyes were fixed on the other man’s sword, like a bird watching a coiled serpent.

The other fighter had the advantage of both reach and strength over the young man. Standing head and shoulders above him, the massive warrior seemed carved of unmoving ebony, his skin as black as the simple garments he wore. He faced his smaller foe impassively, raining blows down upon the young man with obviously calculated precision. In seemingly no time, the ebon-skinned giant had put the boy on the defensive and backed him nearly into a corner.

The dark-haired boy attempted a last desperate parry that sent him wildly off balance. He stumbled over his own feet as he tried to retreat and went flailing into the dirt with a thud. “Peace, Hamad, peace!” Dropping his sword, he held his empty hand up in entreaty to the advancing man-mountain.

With no change of expression, the dark man reversed his grip and drove his wooden blade into the soil next to his opponent’s head, pinning one dark curl to the ground. “An enemy will not stop, if you fall. Get up.”

Pascal dan’Ellum remained sprawled where he was, narrow chest heaving as he tried to catch his breath. “I’m done in, Hamad. I’m tired. Can we stop now?”

“An enemy will not stop because you are tired. Get up!”

“Hamad…” He was whining, and he knew it.

“Get up!” Quick as a jungle cat, the ebony warrior whirled, snatching up Pascal’s fallen weapon and swinging it at the downed boy’s head in one smooth motion.

His body responding on instinct, the younger man managed to roll out of the way in time, but he winced as his pinned lock of hair was ripped from his head. “Ow!”

Hamad snorted, shaking his head. “Pulled hair is small compared to the injuries you could have received. You must push yourself, amat’ran. An enemy will not care for your weakness, except to savor the advantage it gives them. You must be more than what your body allows you to be.” Leaning down, he offered his hand to his fallen charge. “I will not always be there to protect you.”

Pascal took the offered hand, allowing his bodyguard to pull him to his feet. He grimaced as he looked down at his dust-covered clothes, making a vain attempt to brush himself clean. “You’re not going anywhere, Hamad.”

“I will go where God leads me, Pascal. Even if it is away from your side, one day.” He picked up both swords and offered one of them, hilt first, to the young man. “Again.”

Pascal groaned in protest, but as he reached to take the weapon, a hail of clattering hooves broke the silence and a horse burst into the courtyard to skid to a halt before the pair. “Oh thank the Lady.” The adolescent offered a relieved grin to the rider. “You have impeccable timing, Nite, as usual.”

CheekyWench
06-08-2010, 07:42 AM
that's great, tas!

Leanan-Sidhe
06-08-2010, 08:08 AM
Noooes. The mash-up started after I went to bed last night. I hope Blonde wakes up early to post the next one so I can read it before going to bed again tonight.

I'm all caught up, and I can summarize my comments by saying, "You guys are awesome." Seriously. But to get specific...

I love how #1 started off all sweet and innocent and then took a naughty twist.

I love the dark imagery and tone in #2.

#3 made me literally laugh out loud with the "Get off my lawn." And then the turn to creepy was great.

#4 Tas, your continuation was brilliant! The 4th wall breaking had me cracking up--what a perfect ending.

Leanan - I didn't know if you intended it to be funny, but I got the giggles and it kinda went down hill from there. ;) I had so much fun with this!

I did intend the funnies--I'm relieved I was actually successful :D Glad you enjoyed it!

And #5 was gorgeous. The world was so fully realized in such a short snippet, and the continuation was perfect.

NIYRAK
06-08-2010, 03:17 PM
Morning all... Just caught up on the mashups and must say GREAT JOB ALL!!!

We are a TALENTED BUNCH!!! :D

Am soooo flattered that u guys guessed me for some of the awesomeness... alas I am not that clever lol. :poke:

Can't wait for blonde to wake up so I can read MORE!!!!

Calla Lily
06-08-2010, 03:32 PM
Tas, this story sounds so cool!

Kris
06-08-2010, 03:56 PM
I haven't had time to do anything but skim! I'm going to catch up now!

But Tas, the continuation of your piece, and the thing that you geeked out about, above, are so amazing. :worship:

Kris
06-08-2010, 04:14 PM

Ink, I liked the voice of this character from the beginning. It's good teenage-boy, and it's sweet.

“What is it Dylan? Don’t you want a taste of the Devil’s daughter?”

I liked all the sexy parts in the continuation, and I loved that last line!

“Yes,” I swallowed, carefully, eyes fixed on her hand holding the knife. “I can see your point. But don’t you think that now that you have your chance, revenge tastes stale and bitter and maybe just a tad unfulfilling?”

Jez cocked her head to the side, considering.

“No,” she said and drove the knife in.

This was my favorite bit from this one! Great comic timing after a tense scene.

I sat up, brushing the dry fragments of last year's leaves from my shirt. "I told you it would be a stupid idea to kill me."

I don't rightly recall who screamed louder - Jez or the Howler when it sprang from the trees.

Stupid, stupid girl.

The whole premise of this continuation was just brilliant, and I liked how seamless it was -- picking up the narrator's voice, enlarging on his comment about how stupid it would be to kill him. And awesome last lines!

Sunshine13
06-08-2010, 05:32 PM
Blast west coast and it's time difference! ;)

Calla Lily
06-08-2010, 06:38 PM
She *said* she'd put up a mash-up before she headed out to vote.

*taps foot impatiently*

ink wench
06-08-2010, 06:44 PM
Bumping the scorecard in anticipation.

Tasmin - 2, 1
Houndrat - 1
Firedrake - 2
Sunna
Ink Wench - 1
Callalily - 2
Cheeky Wench - 2
Redzilla
Blondchen
Amarie - 2
Leanan Sidhe - 1
Sunshine13
Dystophil - 1
KBRidges
Lara

Kris
06-08-2010, 06:45 PM
“ARE YOU NUTS? GET OFF MY LAWN!”

Okay, this was hilarious. And...

He turned to her, giving her that creepy beatific smile seen only on Renaissance Madonnas with their hovering cherub posses, and on the seriously insane.

Loved this line.

“Are you retarded or something? You want the fairies to get you?”

“Dude. Whatever. Let’s just go.”

Fave lines!!

I loved how this starts with that very straight fairy-tale tone and then turns into a funny and original smart-assed send-up. The funny thing is that the repetition of "Fucking birds/ fucking squirrels" etc. keeps the tone kind of fairy-tale-ish. So funny, great job.

You know….it is rather dark in here.

Brothers! Wait for me!

Great last lines! And good continuation of something so offbeat!

Blast west coast and it's time difference! ;)
Seconded! Except it gives me time to catch up! :D

Blondchen
06-08-2010, 07:38 PM
Better late than never...

~~~~~

The jackdaw hopped closer, spreading its wings and eying the last bit of bread in her hand. Chyrra wanted to shoo him away but her arms felt so heavy, she didn’t know if she could make the effort. She didn’t know if she could manage to get the bread to her mouth. The bird’s eyes glittered in the sunlight as he opened his beak. “Go away.” She tried to speak, the words coming out in a croak. Then the image blurred and she wasn’t sure if it was still there. The cut on her leg throbbed, the heat rising up through her veins, even though she felt cold, so cold, as if the sun shining down on her was just painted on the sky. Her horse nudged the back of her head, his breath a small bit of warmth again the chill.

“I’ll just rest a little longer, Bren.” She wished she could lay back in the grass amidst the scent of the meadowsweet and sleep until the pain went away, but she knew she couldn’t. She was the only one left who could warn the king. The sky to the north behind the mountains was still the same strange mix of red against black, like the blood spattered on the walls of Woeden Keep . Like Marin’s blood spattered on the walls. The jackdaw shot up in the air, cawing.

“Ah, looks like we’ve caught us a nice little rabbit,” a man’s voice said.

Chyrra felt the tip of a sword against her throat.

Fear shot through her, making her leg hurt even more, bringing her breath in a harsh gasp. She turned her head very carefully, the point of the sword pricking her skin the whole time. The cold sunlight made her squint. It turned the two men standing over her into dim shadows against the horizon. She darted an irritated glance back toward Bren, who hadn't bothered to give her so much as a snort for a warning.

"Where's your den, little rabbit?" the man holding the sword asked. She swallowed, trying to make out the livery on his shoulder, but it was too bright. Her eyes wouldn't work. He pressed harder, an Chyrra felt a trickle of blood slide into the hollow between her collarbones. Strangely, the pain helped her eyes to focus. The jackdaw uttered a harsh series of cries from above them. "Best you answer, girl, or we shall give you better reasons to use your voice."

"I'm far from home, sir," she croaked, trying for the lowland accent --failing, by the expression on the man's face. The point of the sword dug in a little farther, making her cough helplessly. Above several more voices joined her hungry jackdaw's, as though the damned birds sensed she was about to become their next meal.

"Not as far as you're about to be," the second man rumbled. His low voice sent another shock of fear through her, and she was suddenly glad she was already on the ground, for it was Jamis. "Arin, get the ropes. I know this 'un, and she's trouble."

Trembling now, Chyrra opened her mouth to argue, to beg, something --but a shadow blighted the sun, and the voices of the birds grew deafening in that instant, drowning out her feeble plea. There was a swooping shadow overhead, a cry from the first man, The sword point pressed unbearably against her windpipe for a moment and then vanished as the air filled with wings and shadows.

Oh, god, it was happening again.

Blondchen
06-08-2010, 07:38 PM
She *said* she'd put up a mash-up before she headed out to vote.

*taps foot impatiently*

Yeah. NEITHER of which happened this morning.

Calla Lily
06-08-2010, 07:55 PM
#1-Red
#2-Sunshine

Red-Green
06-08-2010, 08:01 PM
Lara -1
Sunna -2

Oh and I love the whole "little rabbit" thing that carries thru from one part to the next.

kellion92
06-08-2010, 08:05 PM
OK, I'll try this, but I'm already behind.

#1 Kbridges
#2 Tas

Amarie
06-08-2010, 08:08 PM
I'll say Sunna for #2 as well.

Blondchen
06-08-2010, 08:10 PM
Lara -1
Sunna -2

I'll say Sunna for #2 as well.

This.

Now who wrote the original?

Calla Lily
06-08-2010, 08:11 PM
And my streak continues. :tongue

Red-Green
06-08-2010, 08:17 PM
OMG. I got one right before the very end!!!!

Uhhh...Cheeky for #1?

sunna
06-08-2010, 08:18 PM
Duuuude, I so suck at this incognito thing. :gone:

I'm guessing Lily or Lara for 1.

ink wench
06-08-2010, 08:25 PM
Sunshine for #1?

I like the imagery in this one, and the use of the "little rabbit" carrying through.

NIYRAK
06-08-2010, 08:26 PM
sorry can not claim this piece...

CheekyWench
06-08-2010, 08:29 PM
Hmm... Fire for #1?

Blondchen
06-08-2010, 08:37 PM
You guys are getting closer. Maybe think someone who writes for a slightly younger crowd...

Red-Green
06-08-2010, 08:39 PM
Oh jeez, is it you, Blond?

ink wench
06-08-2010, 08:41 PM
The only one left who writes for a younger crowd and hasn't been guessed is Amarie.

Amarie
06-08-2010, 08:42 PM
Since I think everyone has been guessed but me, I'll own up. It's mine. And I love the continuation! I was trying to write in an epic fantasy style and Sunna carried it on seamlessly.

CheekyWench
06-08-2010, 08:44 PM
Good job, y'all! :hooray:

ink wench
06-08-2010, 08:47 PM
The only one left who writes for a younger crowd and hasn't been guessed is Amarie.

Since I think everyone has been guessed but me, I'll own up. It's mine. And I love the continuation! I was trying to write in an epic fantasy style and Sunna carried it on seamlessly.In before the buzzer! :D

Great job, Amarie and Sunna! That was great and seamless!

Tasmin - 2, 1
Houndrat - 1
Firedrake - 2
Sunna - 2
Ink Wench - 1
Callalily - 2
Cheeky Wench - 2
Redzilla
Blondchen
Amarie - 2, 1
Leanan Sidhe - 1
Sunshine13
Dystophil - 1
KBRidges
Lara

Red-Green
06-08-2010, 08:49 PM
And I love the cliffhanger ending for it, too. Like, oh noes, what will happen next?

Sunshine13
06-08-2010, 08:53 PM
Loved it! Loved the rabbit thing, and the ending being so mysterious in a good way!

Blondchen
06-08-2010, 08:56 PM
Dee hates the tension! She gave herself up without a fight!!!! bwahahahahahaha

~~~~~~

The kudzu leaves had no time to rustle under his bare feet as she raced through the woods. The shotgun blasts still were still close enough to make him jump as he dodged around the haunted pine trees, the life long ago strangled out with the same vines he crushed beneath him. He knew the buckshot had no chance of harming him. The sound was still unnerving. The South was a crazy place, always had been. Archer knew that firsthand after living here for the majority of his life, and now, afterlife.

After a lengthy sprint, the gunfire faded to silence. Slowing down his pace, he jumped to the lowest limb of a sweet gum tree, which was still fifty feet up, and looked behind him. From here, he could see the weathered leather cowboy hats of father and son bobbing through the vines, cussing and struggling.

“I think it’s gone, Pa,” the younger man wavered, hesitating at the edge of the woods.

“It ain’t gone,” the man in the leather hat turned and looked back toward his son. “It won’t ever be gone. “ He racked his shotgun one more time and headed further into the woods, under the tree where Archer perched. The man stopped and turned in a circle, searching. Archer held his breath, only out of habit, and waited for them to pass. Archer’s foot slipped and sweet gum balls fell on the old man’s hat. Blending seamlessly into the tree’s bark, Archer closed his eyes and became invisible. The father looked upward toward the tree limb, furrowed his eyebrows, and scanned around. Seeing nothing, he motioned to his son with a flick of his hand, and continued walking. Once they stomped through the last thicket of vines and into the next cow occupied field.

Dropping down from his spot, he landed noiselessly into the kudzu and trotted off back toward the farmhouse.

The kudzu leaves had no time to rustle under his bare feet as he raced through the woods. The shotgun blasts were still close enough to make him jump as he dodged around the haunted pine trees, their life long ago strangled out with the same vines he crushed beneath him. He knew the buckshot had no chance of harming him. The sound was still unnerving. The South was a crazy place, always had been. Archer knew that firsthand after living here for the majority of his life, and now, afterlife.

After a lengthy sprint, the gunfire faded to silence. Slowing down his pace, he jumped to the lowest limb of a sweet gum tree, which was still fifty feet up, and looked behind him. From here, he could see the weathered leather cowboy hats of father and son bobbing through the vines, cussing and struggling.

“I think it’s gone, Pa,” the younger man wavered, hesitating at the edge of the woods.

“It ain’t gone,” the man in the leather hat turned and looked back toward his son. “It won’t ever be gone. “ He racked his shotgun one more time and headed further into the woods, under the tree where Archer perched. The man stopped and turned in a circle, searching. Archer held his breath, only out of habit, and waited for them to pass. Archer’s foot slipped and sweet gum balls fell on the old man’s hat. Blending seamlessly into the tree’s bark, Archer closed his eyes and became invisible. The father looked upward toward the tree limb, furrowed his eyebrows, and scanned around. Seeing nothing, he motioned to his son with a flick of his hand, and continued walking. Once they stomped through the last thicket of vines and into the next cow occupied field.

Dropping down from his spot, he landed noiselessly into the kudzu and trotted off back toward the farmhouse.

She’d be there, milking the cow right about now. A smile found his lips at the thought of Charlotte. Every time her brother and father went hunting, she’d always tend to the farmhouse—one of the few times she was left alone.

An occasional glance behind Archer confirmed for him that the other two men were long gone, headed the other direction. Archer had always wondered if Charlotte’s father knew about him, what with the way he always seemed to talk during their hunts. Many times, Archer felt he was the one hunted, despite all the times a deer or rabbit would be brought back for their dinner. Did fathers have such paternal instincts, he wondered?

In the barn, Charlotte sat next to one of the spotted cows, her gentle hands diligently working at filling up a milk pan. Her hair was loose today, tawny waves cascading over her shoulders. She hummed a tune, the same tune that made Archer close his eyes, lean against the door frame, and smile.

“Hello, Charlotte,” he whispered.

But as always, she never replied. She kept on humming, each squirt of milk matching the beat of her tune. His smile didn’t leave though as he pushed away from the frame and walked to her, hands stuffed in pockets. She smelled of butter and honey. Archer would give anything to run his hands through her hair. All he could now was to crouch behind her, smell her intoxicating scent, and watch the crystalline drops of sweat bead down her neck. It was beyond torture.

“I could give you a better life than this.” His lips could graze her ear by now.

Charlotte shivered, stopped humming, and her hands stilled. Slowly, she dusted them off on her apron and stood. Archer stood with her. She turned, and just as always, looked right through him.

Archer could give her a life better than this, if only he had a life to do it with.

Red-Green
06-08-2010, 09:06 PM
Oh! Wow! I love it!!!!

Amarie
06-08-2010, 09:06 PM
Instant feeling like I'm in the south! This is a tough one.
I'll say Red for #1 and Houndrat for #2.

Red-Green
06-08-2010, 09:10 PM
Haha! Complimenting my own stuff would a be a Hound-worthy trick of deception. :D

Blondchen
06-08-2010, 09:23 PM
Instant feeling like I'm in the south! This is a tough one.
I'll say Red for #1 and Houndrat for #2.

You're dead on with the south, but not either of these two writers!

Calla Lily
06-08-2010, 09:25 PM
Back from lunch. Great job on #6, you two!

#7 is eerie. Brr. Love it! Want more.

Hound
suki

Red-Green
06-08-2010, 09:27 PM
Sunna -1
Christa -2

And then there's this great shift between the two. The first is slightly menacing and then the second so sad.

Amarie
06-08-2010, 09:28 PM
last guess and then I have to quit for a bit
sunshine for 1 kbridges for 2

Sunshine13
06-08-2010, 09:28 PM
D'oh!

Tasmin21
06-08-2010, 09:29 PM
I loved this. This is definitely something I would continue to read.

Sunshine13
06-08-2010, 09:33 PM
Sunna -1
Christa -2

And then there's this great shift between the two. The first is slightly menacing and then the second so sad.

Meant to quote. :D

For 1, I'm going to guess.....

KB?

Red-Green
06-08-2010, 09:35 PM
Yay! I'm never any good at this, so I wonder what's up?

Blondchen
06-08-2010, 09:45 PM
Well Christa's been outted but no hits on #1 yet. I'll give you a hint - SHE LIVES IN THE FREAKING SOUTH!

Calla Lily
06-08-2010, 09:46 PM
Rose? Is Rose playing?

Blondchen
06-08-2010, 09:47 PM
No Rose this time around.

Calla Lily
06-08-2010, 09:48 PM
Lara?

I think I only know where Red, sunshine, fire, and you live, Blond.

Sunshine13
06-08-2010, 09:52 PM
I guessed KBRidges?

firedrake
06-08-2010, 09:53 PM
Yea, I'd say KBridges too.

It was very atmospheric.

sunna
06-08-2010, 10:01 PM
Oh, lovely! Such great scene-setting in both of them.

I'm guessing -- erm-- Cheeky for 1?

Blondchen
06-08-2010, 10:04 PM
SUNNA FTW!

Yes, this was Cheeky's excerpt, silly silly people. :D

Red-Green
06-08-2010, 10:05 PM
Geography? You expect us to remember geography? I know you live on the West Coast. Lily is somewhere on the East Coast. There's some English people and Cindy lives in my China in mind. Everyone else is just in some mysterious middle place that isn't Kansas.

CheekyWench
06-08-2010, 10:06 PM
SUNNA FTW!

Yes, this was Cheeky's excerpt, silly silly people. :D

:D yah.

Geography? You expect us to remember geography? I know you live on the West Coast. Lily is somewhere on the East Coast. There's some English people and Cindy lives in my China in mind. Everyone else is just in some mysterious middle place that isn't Kansas.

ETA: CHRISTA: What's really creepy, is that this was a false start. I have this idea of a loosely based Bell Witch (http://www.bellwitch.org/home.htm) story in my head and he was going to be around a girl - but couldn't quite make the connection and set the whole thing aside. Your continuation was awesome!!

Blondchen
06-08-2010, 10:07 PM
The handle turned easily so I pushed the door open and waltzed on in.

I'm not sure what I expected exactly at that point: mob front, immigrant smuggling, meth lab. But I know what I wasn't expecting.

Normal. A normal office lobby. Leather chairs lined walls painted a cheerful shade of peaches and cream, dotted with modern wall sconces. Two end tables sported neat stacks of "Time" and "Entertainment Weekly" and a large fichus plant was tucked away in the corner. There was a receptionist's desk with a raised counter and behind it on the wall was the corporate logo for The Venables Group, lit with recessed directional lights. Just perfectly, corporately normal.

Then I heard the snore.

SNNNNNEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRT!

I looked around but the office was empty. "Hello?"

It seemed to be coming from the vicinity of the reception desk so I took a few steps closer and peered over the counter. Curled up in the high-backed chair was an old woman. She was tiny, elfin-like with translucent skin so pale I could see the blue veins running down her exposed cheek, disappearing beneath the mandarin collar of her black silk shirt. Her lips were a puckered rosebud, parted at the center with a hint of a smile at the corners of her mouth and her knees were tucked up to her chest with two delicate little hands crossed on top. She looked like a porcelain doll and it was difficult to believe that anyone so tiny and ethereal could possibly--

SNNNNNEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRT!

It was like watching a pixie belch, that monstrous sound emanating from that tiny woman. The snore racked her body, like she was using every possible sinus cavity for maximum resonance. Absolutely the most unnatural thing and kind of fascinating in the horror of it. I stood dumbstruck, unsure whether I wanted to wake her up or wait patiently for another grotesque snore.

After another mammoth eruption from her delicate nostrils, I decided to retreat and make my entrance with enough noise to wake her, thereby sparing both our dignities. I took a step back, placing my foot squarely on a board that groaned when I transferred my weight.

The receptionist sprang up like a jack-in-the-box, her mouth pursed, her thin, white eyebrows tilting in a scowl.

"I'm afraid it's simply not acceptable. You'll need to call and make an appointment to see Mr. Venables," she said.

"But I--"

"But nothing. This is not a soda fountain, where you can drop in willy-nilly, as you please." Unlike her snore, her voice was small and reedy, a mosquito buzzing in my ear.

"But I haven't even said why I'm here."

"I wasn't born yesterday, young lady. I know exactly why you're here and you've gone about it all wrong. This is not the way to get off on the right foot in applying for a job."

"But I'm not--."

This time it wasn't the receptionist who cut me off, it was a deep booming voice from the office behind her desk.

"Don't torment the poor girl, Mrs. Lebulechwaleda. I'm quite at my leisure."

The little woman trembled from head to toe. Rage. She might hide it from her boss, but she couldn't hide it from me.

"Proper business etiquette--" she tried.

"To Hell with your etiquette. To Hell, do you hear me?" The big voice burst into guffaws that slowly tapered off. "Step into my office, young lady, and we'll see if you're suited for the job."

All I cared about was finding what had happened to my sister, and if that meant pretending to apply for the same job she'd circled in the paper, I was willing. I ignored the old lady's frown as I walked past her desk and grasped the office door handle.

Inside lay another perfectly average office: bookcases, a massive oak desk flanked by leather guest chairs. Behind it sat the imperfectly average Mr. Venables. Enormous head full of thick hair and topiary-like sideburns: check. Expensive suit and tie: check. Diamond pinky ring: check. Propped on the desk's edge, one hairy ankle crossed over the other, two impossibly small, glossy black cloven hooves: check.

Sunshine13
06-08-2010, 10:09 PM
Well, crap, I was gonna guess Cheeky but I wasn't sure where she lived! Well done, Cheeky!! I wasn't sure if you were going for the ghost angel or not, but I enjoyed doing the mash for this!!

CheekyWench
06-08-2010, 10:11 PM
LOVE!!

CheekyWench
06-08-2010, 10:12 PM
Well, crap, I was gonna guess Cheeky but I wasn't sure where she lived! Well done, Cheeky!! I wasn't sure if you were going for the ghost angel or not, but I enjoyed doing the mash for this!!

Thanks! It was just great! :D

sunna
06-08-2010, 10:25 PM
This is just awesomeness. :D

Red for 1, Hound for 2?

Blondchen
06-08-2010, 10:29 PM
Nope and nope.

houndrat
06-08-2010, 10:33 PM
Pooh, I was getting At and t uverse installed and just got back on--skimmed everything but need to go read! I LOOOOVEEE that I got guessed for both of those--they're awesome! But nope, not me!

Blond for 1?

ink wench
06-08-2010, 10:38 PM
Cheeky and Christa, that was awesome! Loved the ghost.

Update:

Tasmin - 2, 1
Houndrat - 1
Firedrake - 2
Sunna - 2
Ink Wench - 1
Callalily - 2
Cheeky Wench - 2, 1
Redzilla
Blondchen
Amarie - 2, 1
Leanan Sidhe - 1
Sunshine13 - 2
Dystophil - 1
KBRidges
Lara

I remember part 1 from elsewhere, so I'll refrain from guessing. But I'm gonna go with Lara for the second half.

Blondchen
06-08-2010, 10:38 PM
Blond for 1?

Oh godDAMMIT! Can I not be incognito for 5 seconds in a mash-up????

Sunshine13
06-08-2010, 10:42 PM
Bwahahahahaha

Calla Lily
06-08-2010, 10:43 PM
I'm late, but I thought Blond instantly for part 1 as well.

For part 2, I say Lara as well.

Red-Green
06-08-2010, 10:43 PM
Poor Blond...her slip is showing. :D

Blondchen
06-08-2010, 10:45 PM
Bitches.

And no, it's not Lara.

ink wench
06-08-2010, 10:45 PM
Poor Blondie. I think you posted a teaser from this one a while ago. Don't ask me why I remember that, but I do.

But what about Lara Hound for part 2?

houndrat
06-08-2010, 10:46 PM
Hee hee, sorry Blond--usually I can spot yours and Inkie's originals a mile away (but I totally crashed and burned on Ink's this time!)

'Tis your awesome voice, so don't complain too much! :D Really great mash-up on both sides--will come back later and try to leave comments for all!

CheekyWench
06-08-2010, 10:46 PM
I think the other part is Red's.

houndrat
06-08-2010, 10:48 PM
Ink for 2? ETA: I was going to guess Red, but I thought she'd been eliminated? If not, Red.

firedrake
06-08-2010, 10:48 PM
Heehee, another corker.

Love, love, love that last line.

I'm going with Hound too.

Blondchen
06-08-2010, 10:55 PM
I think the other part is Red's.

Ding! Ding! Ding!

I wonder if Red KNEW it was mine when she was writing it?

Red-Green
06-08-2010, 10:56 PM
Ding! Ding! Ding!

I wonder if Red KNEW it was mine when she was writing it?

I had a few suspicions...that's why Mr. Venables turned out to be Satan. :D

Blondchen
06-08-2010, 11:00 PM

I should have known.

Blondchen
06-08-2010, 11:01 PM
The thunder of hooves receded. They breathed in the darkness, hushed, desperate gasps after air. After another moment of terrifying silence Lainey edged her face out past the cave's entrance, moving with painful slowness, putting no more than a finger's width of flesh beyond the shielding roughness of rock.

The field below was empty but for a handful of bewildered cattle. The tall grass was flattened all around where Martin's horsemen had come through.

Come, and gone.

She tried to make her shaking limbs move her forward, out of the dank sheltering shadow of the cave, but all the strength had left her knees. Margaret's hand flashed out of the darkness, landing with warm accuracy on her shin where her skirt had rumpled up. Lainey swallowed a gasp.

"Stay," Margaret whispered. "Stay. It's too soon. They might come back, and then where would we be?"

Margaret's hand was damp, the skin rough with days of hard use. Her fingers tightened as Lainey hesitated, caught between the fear of discovery and the fear of this awful enclosed blackness. Lainey swallowed, feeling the pressure of those fingers in her chest, a fluttering feeling growing in her belly that made it hard to get the next breath.

"Please stay," Margaret whispered again --and then somehow she was much closer, the heat of her body warming the dark. Lainey blinked as Margaret's fine hair tickled her face. Outside cattle lood mournfully, and a gust of wind brought the scent of rain. Margaret's other hand slid into her hair, brushing her ear and sending shivers all over her. Lips pressed against hers-- tentative at first, then, when she dared to put out a hand and unintentionally met the curving swell at the top of Margret's bodice, harder, and with startling heat.

The fingers on her shin slid up slowly. Lainey drew an unsteady breath as every bone in her turned to water.

"We shouldn't," she murmured, but the words meant something else, and even she could hear it. Margaret, being wiser and far braver, heeded the meaning within the meaning, and slid her hand up the rest of the way.

When morning broke Lainey lay with her back pressed against Margaret’s breast. Their dresses acted as sheets to cover their naked bodies. In the light of day she still could not deny the feelings she held deep in her soul for Margaret. Martin thought it was wrong. The world thought it wrong. Yet Lainey knew that something this strong could not be wrong. Maybe Martin and the world were the ones who were wrong.

Margaret’s arm tightened against her, gently caressing the bare skin of Lainey’s stomach. The butterflies returned inside her as well as the warming sensation between her thighs. She leaned her head back, feeling Margaret’s lips press against her hair.

“Morning,” she whispered.

Lainey turned onto her back. The rustling of their dresses echoed off the walls of the cave. She looked deep into Margaret’s eyes, searching for some sign that she regretted being here with her like this. There was none.

Margaret leaned over her, pressing her lips against hers. The warmth of her breast brushed against Lainey’s sending a chill up her spine. She arched her back leaning up, closer to Margaret. Her hands found their way to her hair. When the kiss ended Lainey’s heart was racing.

“What are we going to do?” Lainey asked.

Margaret lay beside her, running her fingertips across her skin.

“I don’t know. I only know that I can’t live without you,” she said.

Shouts from beyond the entrance of the cave startled them. It was Martin and his men. They were still searching for them. Lainey grasped her bodice and dress, fumbling with them, trying to cover herself. She looked to Margaret, fear filled her eyes as she too began to dress. They were trapped, the cave had only one entrance and Martin was sure to find it and search within. What would he do to Margaret if he found them here like this?

ink wench
06-08-2010, 11:03 PM
Gah! I must keep up. Blond's already posting the next one. Loved the humor in Blond and Red's, btw!

Update:

Tasmin - 2, 1
Houndrat - 1
Firedrake - 2
Sunna - 2
Ink Wench - 1
Callalily - 2
Cheeky Wench - 2, 1
Redzilla - 2
Blondchen - 1
Amarie - 2, 1
Leanan Sidhe - 1
Sunshine13 - 2
Dystophil - 1
KBRidges
Lara

CheekyWench
06-08-2010, 11:03 PM

That last line was the best :D

Calla Lily
06-08-2010, 11:04 PM
Whoa.

#1-fire
#2-KBRIDGES

Vespertilion
06-08-2010, 11:04 PM
OMG! I would totally read a book from MU8! Red and Blond have to write me at least a short story!

Or I shall be fick.

So there.

Red-Green
06-08-2010, 11:08 PM
I think Hellboy is where I got the notion that Satan would have very small, dainty hooves.

And I'd just like to say, Mashup #9 is heating things up in here!

Blondchen
06-08-2010, 11:09 PM
Whoa.

#1-fire
#2-KBRIDGES

Awesome guess Lily!

Tasmin21
06-08-2010, 11:11 PM
I applaud both mashers on that one, holy rusted metal, Batman!

Calla Lily
06-08-2010, 11:12 PM
I...got one RIGHT? :e2thud:

houndrat
06-08-2010, 11:17 PM
Bom chica wow wow--that was hawt!

Lara for one?

Red-Green
06-08-2010, 11:17 PM
Lil, I had the same feeling when I got one right! Woohoo!

Hmmm...Dys for #1, or has she already been outed for a #1?
(outed...haha! I kill myself.)

Also: SNEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERT!

ink wench
06-08-2010, 11:20 PM
I was going to guess Red, but I thought she'd been eliminated? If not, Red.

Hmmm...Dys for #1, or has she already been outed for a #1?I don't know why I bother keeping track for you guys since no one pays attention to my meticulous notes anyway.

Humph.

*stalks off*

houndrat
06-08-2010, 11:23 PM
Oh, shush--I meant I thought she'd been guessed as #2 for that particular mash-up already! I look at your list every time before guessing! :D

Red-Green
06-08-2010, 11:29 PM
Come back, Ink! We'll be good! Sort of.

Blondchen
06-08-2010, 11:45 PM
No hits on the hotness of #1 yet!

CheekyWench
06-08-2010, 11:49 PM
I'm guessing Ink on the 1st.

Parametric
#1 is obviously sunna, right?

Red-Green
Is it Fire's hot smexiness?

firedrake
06-08-2010, 11:51 PM
it isn't me!

I'll go for Ink too.

Dang, that was hot :Wha:
Also lovely sensory details. I really liked it.

Blondchen
06-09-2010, 12:01 AM

Damn, the Brit is good!

Blondchen
06-09-2010, 12:02 AM
I'm thinking we do one more, yes?

CheekyWench
06-09-2010, 12:02 AM
yes.

sunna
06-09-2010, 12:05 AM

Caught! :gone:

KBridges, excellent continuation! Tender and then tense. :)

Blondchen
06-09-2010, 12:07 AM
We needed some vampires...

~~~~

A shadow fell across Gavin’s portfolio of theater costume designs. He looked up and wealthy, self-important Miranda Gow squirted cold water at him.

“What the—” He spluttered and wiped his eyes.

“Hell opens its mouth to receive you, vampire.” Miranda raised a fluorescent sports bottle and sprayed Gavin’s face and hair. He coughed and a shot of musty water filled his mouth.

“Miranda, you fucking bitch.” Gavin wrenched the bottle out of her hand and threw it across the parking lot. “What is this?”

She laughed. “Holy water.”

“Oh, Christ.” Gavin groped for the clean towel he’d tossed behind the seat this morning.
“You’re not dissolving.” Miranda’s voice lost some of its hysterical certainty.

“Of course not.” Gavin’s fangs wanted to descend, but he bottled his fury. “It’s high noon on a sunny day, you stupid cow. If you think you’re Newburyport’s Van Helsing, you should know that vampires can’t be out in the sun. Therefore holy water isn’t like acid on my skin either. Therefore you’re a fucking insane bitch.” He dropped the towel on the passenger seat. “If the chief of police weren’t your brother-in-law, I’d lodge a harassment complaint against you.”

“Spawn of Satan!” Miranda’s nails raked at his face.

Gavin grabbed her wrist. Bite her—with your regular teeth. She’ll still piss herself. He pulled her arm closer to his mouth. She choked on her next curse.

“Miranda! Gavin! What’s going on here?”

Gavin dropped Miranda’s arm and she leaped backward. Stephen Oliver, pastor of the Methodist church, strode up to Gavin’s truck and put his arm around Miranda.

“He’s—he’s—” Miranda’s body shook like unset Jell-o.

Stephen looked into Gavin’s open window. “He’s wet.”

“Indeed.” Gavin gave the pastor his most brilliant smile, suddenly glad he had kept his fangs in check. “It was an accident. Miranda and I were just going over the latest version of costume designs for the play.” His eyes flashed toward her, daring to say any different. Her mouth, half opened as if to say something, snapped shut as she continued to glare at him.

“Miranda was of the opinion that her costume lacked a certain…raciness,” Gavin added when he flipped the map shut.

Stephen’s eyebrows shot up in mute disapproval. “This is a church play, Ms. Gower. You don’t honestly expect—“

“I never—“, Miranda spluttered, but Gavin cut her off, a benevolent smile swinging in his voice.

“But I believe we both came to the agreement that we don’t intend to perpetuate the misconception of Mary Magdalene as a woman of loose morals, didn’t we, Miranda? After all this play is all about redemption and the riddance of false accusations, isn’t it?”

Miranda blinked, her eyes flicking back to where the offending sports bottle lay. “Of course,” she grated out and Gavin knew better than merely writing her off yet. Aside from being a general pain in the ass, Miranda would pose more problems yet. If he let her.

“Well then,” Stephen said amiably. “Should we go on and discuss your ideas inside? We also need to make sure the light is just right.”

“Certainly. Can’t forget the proper lightning to put things into perspective,” Gavin confirmed. His eyes never left Miranda as he stepped out of his truck and into the blazing sun.

Sunlight. Holy water. Things of stupid stories that idiots like Miranda Gow liked to believe in. Nothing to worry about, especially when you were in good with the pastor of your local church. What better camouflage could there be?

“I really appreciate all the effort you have put into this,” Stephen chipped in brightly when he led them inside the church.

Gavin’s fangs just barely grazed his lower lip as he smiled to himself.

Tasmin21
06-09-2010, 12:10 AM
Oh that was seamless. Me like!

ink wench
06-09-2010, 12:11 AM
Darn it! I almost guessed Sunna too! Nice job with the smexiness, ladies!

Tasmin - 2, 1
Houndrat - 1
Firedrake - 2
Sunna - 2, 1
Ink Wench - 1
Callalily - 2
Cheeky Wench - 2, 1
Redzilla - 2
Blondchen - 1
Amarie - 2, 1
Leanan Sidhe - 1
Sunshine13 - 2
Dystophil - 1
KBRidges -2
Lara

I'm guessing Ink on the 1st.

I'll go for Ink too.Check the list, people. The list!

ink wench
06-09-2010, 12:15 AM
Bwahahaha! Loved it, and the follow up is perfect.

I recognize #1, so I won't guess. :D

Will go with Lara for #2 because I'm determined to guess her until she shows up in one of these.

sunna
06-09-2010, 12:15 AM
Awesome!! What a great continuation, too!

Lily for 1?

houndrat
06-09-2010, 12:19 AM
Red for one?

Vespertilion
06-09-2010, 12:20 AM
Okay, that one rules, too.

You people make it really hard for me to take myself seriously as a writer :)