June Just Hit Send

plaidearthworm

Rock and Squiggle
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, we're in serious trouble when *I'm* the one to post first on JHS, LOL. I'm assuming everyone is doing so brilliantly with book deals, chatting with Oprah and sipping champagne!

June goals include: two new blog posts for Squiggle, the final polish on the WZ book proposal, and I've rewritten the angle on the Mobile Freelance Office article. I already have two queries out, so that's a big step for me this month!

Arisa81

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
pacificpurple.blogspot.com
Good luck with your goals! :)

I'm just attempting to write as many articles as I can (good of course) and fit in some fiction writing, too!

ravenlea

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
just let me get past the dance recital tonight and I'll be ready to dive into June at full throttle.

Skyraven

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not doing much writing at all. I journaled a lot over my retreat last weekend and have kept it up pretty much daily since then. I haven't posted anything at all this week on The Freshman Writer and I've barely managed to keep up with the part-time gig though I force myself because I get paid pretty well for chatting away online. lol I'm waiting to hear from that job I applied for (mental health) and was excited/nervous when I was given a 5 min interview in Spanish. She said she would call me in a couple of days. Keep your fingers crossed. Work has FINALLY calmed down and I've been able to pick kiddo up everyday this week so far and I've transferred cases to a co-worker so now I'm much calmer. And I managed to get a full night's sleep last night. My first in many months. The reason I'm writing all of this is because the stress/pressure from the job/home responsibilities has put my writing at a complete standstill. I don't even want to look that the computer really. But, I still had to come on here to share that with you. lol So nothing to report but journaling. That's all from me. :)

ravenlea

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
:Hug2: Heiddi :Hug2:

recital was good, the kids managed both dances without too many mistakes. And they looked darn cute doing it.

Today I'm concentrating on doing some writing. I am supposed to send in an article to a regional magazine, but it has changed editors and the new guy is pretty stand-offish and a stickler for detail. THe contact page on their site isn't working so I only have the email address for the old editor and this guys "personal" work email, not a submission email. Do I just send it to him with apologies/explaination??

goals for the month:
- send five queries
- edit a few chapters on Elemental Assassin

plaidearthworm

Rock and Squiggle
Registered
Reaction score
Ravenlea, do you have a phone number? It might be good to call him first, tell him the contact page is broken, and get the right email addy. If you send it to his personal email, it could get trapped in a spam filter and never see the light of day. Before you do any of the above, use a different browser to open the contact page; some scripts are picky, and it might work with another browser.

Sky, so glad things have quieted down. I felt the same way before I jumped to full time--I had to stare at a computer screen all day, so the very last thing I wanted was to look at one when I got home. Journaling is a great way to go, and it keeps your creative juices flowing until you've recovered enough to write. Hang in there, do what you can, and take care! ::hugs::

AmyDoodle

I'm a Bajaffe!
Registered
Reaction score
2nd star to the right and 10 miles west of Sugar T
Website
www.mindovermullis.blogspot.com
Lord, I've been trying to get here for ages. First it would be a computer crash, then a computer user crash, then we'd all melt down together.

Sky, I can sympathize with the way stress affects writing. The day job has done a macrame thing with my nerve endings this month that's gonna take a heap of unraveling to undo. Sometimes I just have to walk away from the computer and stare mindlessly into space for a while. Don't feel guilty--it's like hitting the reset button in your brain.

Ravenlea--seems like we hardly ever cross paths any more. Hope all's well with the kiddo and whichever doggies you have these days. Glad to see you're busy writing. Keep it up, young lady.

Since I've been here, I've put up a couple of new blog posts. Be sure to check out my trip to the Cow Pasture Concert of the Year. That much fertilizer should make my taste in music grow like milk mustaches in daycare!

Okay, Plaid, at least once a year you dare me to submit to Funny Times. I'm trying to finish one up this weekend and it'll be on it's way. Your turn!

Skyraven

Registered
Reaction score
raven - thanks for the hugs. glad to see that you're still going at the writing. :) I say send it to the old editor and ask him for a recommendation to the new one. If that doesn't work, then send an email to the new guy with your previously published clips. :) Good luck!

plaid - thanks for the encouragement. I just feel like my whole body is resetting. To the point where now I'm sleeping at least 8 hrs a night! Vastly different from the consistently interrupted four or five hours a night. I'm doing what I can now to just be and keep relaxed and focused on the job search.

Amy - It's just nasty though. Budget cuts are forcing us to do more with less. Doing much more work with less pay. No raise this year or next. So it's time for me to move on. As I mentioned last week, I'm waiting on a second interview for a school based mental health job. Keep your fingers crossed for me peeps! And good luck on the Funny Times sub. You'll be great! :)

ravenlea

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Hi all! good news: I had four articles accepted over the weekend. Trade mags, all, but at least they pay :) I'm still trying to break into some hunting magazines and think that is going to be my on-going challenge for the year.

Amy - as my mother-in-law would say ... busy, busy, busy. Between writing and trying to train my new dog (ok I've had her 2 months now) things have been hectic. Add in that school is out for the summer and that just makes life chaos, but fun chaos! I'll have to pop over to your blog and play catch up.

sky - I called and got a differant emil addy to send him things. Hoping he'll accept what I sent him. Only issue is that the email I recieved today says he's cutting down all articles to 750 mine is over 1150. Time to do some cutting.

Skyraven

Registered
Reaction score
raven - Glad to hear about the acceptances! You go girl! lol And cut and send girl! :) You can do it.
I have been working on a case study for a new potential full-time job. This is the second round. I passed the first round of the phone interview. TOTALLY in Spanish. lol I need to get this done by Friday 9am so I can move on to the next step. :) I'm getting this one! :) Lord willing. It's the only writing I'm doing. Interesting that it's for a job interviewing process. lol

AmyDoodle

I'm a Bajaffe!
Registered
Reaction score
2nd star to the right and 10 miles west of Sugar T
Website
www.mindovermullis.blogspot.com
Heiddi--how's the job process going? Sounded pretty good last time I checked Twitter.

I got two blog posts up--am I today's overachiever? Not compared to you guys, I'm not.

At Mind over Mullis, it's already Solstice. Time for that annual leg shave, whether I need it or not. Anybody got a chainsaw?

At An Army of Ermas, we see the hazards of rug burn on, um, tender areas, during our daily workout.

Skyraven

Registered
Reaction score
Amy - well, got over the hurdle of the case study. I finished it Thursday night and emailed it. By Friday afternoon, I was invited to a group interview. So, hopefully this is the last hurdle before getting the job. :) It's tomorrow at 4pm. I'll be taking the afternoon off in order to go home, change and get over there. I'll have enough time. I've been praying very hard for this and hope that God agrees with me. Lol
In writing news, I went to the Bronx Zoo Saturday with kiddo to interview a children's book author for the part-time gig. Not only did I get paid, but I'm going to turn one interview into three. Lol I'll be posting it on Momslikeme, at Examiner and at The Freshman Writer. And I went on a tour of the zoo while I did my q& a. Lol. Other than that, I'm keeping up with Momslikeme. No other writing as yet. I took a hiatus at The Freshman Writer for this month. I really need to take it easy. :) Seems like everyone's busy, but I hope with great adventures. Lol Later, awers!

plaidearthworm

Rock and Squiggle
Registered
Reaction score
Ravenlea, you're doing so well! Go get 'em! Sky, haven't seen you on Twitter in the last couple of days--when will you find out about the job? I hope you get it and can relax a bit. Life's too short to be stressed, and you have some great writing days ahead!

Amy, I know what you've been up to; you're honing that comedy writing until it's razor sharp. If everyone hasn't read Amy's stuff lately, go peruse her latest blog posts. Amazing, hilarious stuff.

I don't want to jinx myself, but it looks like I will have the book proposal done by the end of the week! Squeeeeee! I let it sit for a few days like wyntermoon suggested, and this week I've been re-checking it, fluffing it up here and there. Right now, I'm working on the sample chapter stuff. Funny thing is, I keep adding to the overall book because I write something new in the chapter summary every day. :p

I also started a new blog (like I needed one) for humor writers. It's VERY new, born yesterday, but I want it to be a central spot for humor writers to find contests, markets, great blogs by talented authors, and hopefully other content like interviews down the line. Come by and visit if you like while I arrange the furniture and get some posts up. :)

Skyraven

Registered
Reaction score
Plaid - congratulations mama! :) I'll be checking out the new site and congrats on the book proposal. I'm sure you'll get it done. :)