Cats and Acupuncture

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with cats and acupuncture? My boy has severe arthritis in both back knees and a front knee. Our vet convinced me to give this a try. After years of glucosamine, Adequan shots, etc, we're out of time. This is my last hope.

To make it worse, he has diabetes that's extremely resistant to treatment. It's been six months of trying desperately to regulate him.

It's all been hard on him, but he's still happy--but those legs. Oh those legs. I am heartbroken.

I would love to hear if you had any positive outcome with your animals and acupuncture. Thanks. :)

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
::whistles to hear the echo::

No one, huh? Well if you're curious it went well. In fact, two hours later the boy is doing better than he has in a long time. :) No miracle, but I'll take any improvement.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My school doesn't do a lot of acupuncture, and I've not heard of it done with cats (but of course, it can be done).

I'm glad you are seeing results. Is your vet doing acupuncture for the diabetes as well?

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm glad it was helpful. Poor kitty. :(

I've never heard of accupuncture for cats, but I know some horse owners who swear by it for their horses.

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
Fingers crossed for your kitty, hj. BTW, sometimes animal related questions get more traction on the "Writing for Animals" subforum.

SWest

In the garden...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com

MissMacchiato

Bring on the Sweet, Sweet Coffee
Registered
Reaction score
they actually did acupuncture on a giraffe on a tv show last week - it really seemed to help! I don't know any specifics about cats, but I'd say give it a shot :)

and a big pat on the back for being a caring pet owner!

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks all. I'll admit I was skeptical at first, never having any exposure to this kind of thing, but I'm glad we tried.

I'm glad you are seeing results. Is your vet doing acupuncture for the diabetes as well?

Yes! I was shocked, but he said it may help.

A giraffe, MissM? Wow! How did s/he take it?