PDA

View Full Version : Ack!! Just sent first few chapters off to a couple of beta readers

ebennet68
06-06-2010, 12:57 AM
I've finally gotten up the nerve to send off the first few chapters of my first completed novel. For me, that is a big accomplishment, because the very first time I ever shared any of my work with someone else back in January, I had tears in my eyes because of hurt feelings. Since then, I've grown quite a bit thicker skin, thick enough to send off my work. Wish me luck!

Maryn
06-06-2010, 03:44 AM
Oh, we totally get how hard that can be, so congratulations! It'll be a little easier to find the courage next time, too.

And remember that even if they don't love it, it's not you they don't love, just something you wrote--although I hope they do love it, of course.

Maryn, proud of you

gypsyscarlett
06-07-2010, 04:16 PM
Good luck!

And don't be afraid of an honest critique. Betas want to help, not hurt. :)

Phaeal
06-07-2010, 04:39 PM
CGs on taking the next big step! The bananas salute you.

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Snowstorm
06-07-2010, 06:52 PM
I understand! It's not easy to realize the manuscript isn't perfect when we thought it was. But pushing through that pain and stress shows a high level of professionalism and desire. I'm happy for you that it's getting easier.

Best wishes and good luck on your revisions!

Chris P
06-07-2010, 06:55 PM
Awesome! Becoming a better writer includes knowing what input to accept and which to ignore. I'm getting ready to troll for a new beta or two, so I hope I've built up some good karma.

AuburnAssassin
06-12-2010, 07:48 AM
It's both thrilling and terrifying. I hope your latest batch of feedback is tolerable but fruitful. Sometimes the harshest ones are the best ones...but only after the sting has faded and the scars healed.

Jess Haines
06-13-2010, 12:20 AM
Good luck! Don't let the crits get you down. :)

honeysock
06-15-2010, 07:14 AM
Good luck with the beta! It's hard, I know. AuburnAssassin (a few posts up) and I beta'd each others' novels a while back--[*mwaw* love you AA!]--and yes, once you get past the initial sting, you realize how very very helpful it is, on oh-so-many levels.

Finding qualified betas is one of the best things AW has to offer, IMO. I've done several since and all have been positive experiences.

AuburnAssassin
06-15-2010, 08:07 AM
Love you too, Honeysock [a sweetheart of a beta and a talented writer whose novel was a joy to read].

And EBennett, if your novel is like your flashes that I enjoy every week, you'll do fine because you do write well.

If you haven't already, I'd also recommend posting the first chapter on SYW. Some really smart people put a lot of time and effort trying to help those of us just learning. And I don't just mean pointing out a few punctuation or grammar gaffes but the meaty stuff too like infodumps, conflict, pacing, characterization. Invaluable stuff.

Silent Rob
06-17-2010, 02:02 PM
Well done! It's a big step, but one that's very worth taking.

cate townsend
06-18-2010, 08:01 AM
Sometimes the harshest ones are the best ones...but only after the sting has faded and the scars healed.

So true. Good luck, ebennet68.