Hm, should I or shouldnt I?

TrixieBelden

Registered
Reaction score
Ive written a nonfiction true crime book. I have a published friend who writes a mystery series for Kensington. She submitted my proposal for me to Kensingtons true crime editor and she likes it.
Should I still try to find an agent or do you think I can do this alone with my friends help?

Last edited:

Andrew Zack

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.zackcompany.com
Absolutely find an agent. Publishers contracts are written to protect publishers. If you haven't negotiated contracts with a dozen publishers over the years, then you have no idea what to look for and try to change in a contract. An agent does.

Daughter of Faulkner

Always a writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
mysite.verizon.net
My two-cents

I suspect you will not have a hard time landing an agent if you already have a publisher who is interested.
The most important thing now is to find the "right" agent for you and your future as an author.

All good wishes to you!

Andrew Zack

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.zackcompany.com
Yes, but who wants an agent that is just interested in grabbing the deal. The agent you REALLY want is the one who wants to rep you when there's no deal on the horizon. That's the agent who loves the book.

azbikergirl

I really do look like this.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
fantasyauthor.blogspot.com
I found myself in this position: having publisher offer contract before I found an agent who loved my story. My choices were few: sign without an agent, or send another round of queries out and mention the contract. I did have one agent who turned down the deal because she wasn't right for my story (and I respect the heck out of her for that), but 8 out of 10 responded positively (one was out of town and I got an auto-reply!). What's a poor, unagented first timer to do but pick the agent at the top of her list? It's like being between a cloud and a fluffy place. :)

TrixieBelden

Registered
Reaction score
My friend did ask her agent about me and my work first, he told her it wasnt up his ally and would probably not make a book. She then asked her editor who passed it on to the true crime editor and they seem to like it.
Ive queried a few agents this week and not heard anything back. I also thought that it would be easy to snag on but not yet.
I dont want to forge ahead without one, Ive written magazine and newspaper but this is a whole new ball game.