NAACP calls Hallmark graduation card racist

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
From Los Angeles
A graduation card sold at local stores has been pulled from shelves after a civil rights group raised concerns about the content. The group claims the card's micro-speaker plays a greeting that's racist.
"That was very demeaning to African American women. When it made reference to African American women as whores and at the end, it says 'watch your back,'" said Leon Jenkins of the Los Angeles NAACP.
When Hallmark was reached by phone, they said the card is all a misunderstanding. The card's theme is the solar system and emphasizes the power of the grad to take over the universe, even energy-absorbing black holes.
See the card, hear the card, see the transcript in the news story linked above.

dgiharris

Disgruntled Scientist
Registered
Reaction score
Whenever someone of authority (especially the NAACP) pulls the race card on trivial shit like this, it hurts all of us minorities.

If I were white and saw this, i'd probably be thinking "Here we go again, super sensitive minorities making a big deal out of nothing..."

So, then the next time the NAACP makes a big deal of something (regardless of validity), many whites will be quick to dismiss it as another 'frivolous' accusation.

Seriously, do I really beleive that Hallmark decided to make a card that calls black women 'black whores'.

Or is it much more likely that the card (which has the theme of the solar system) says, "black holes".

The audio chips that they use for those cards are super cheap, so yes, if you really want to hear 'whores' instead of 'holes' you can.

But IMO that is a stretch.

*sigh*

This reminds me of something Al Sharpton would push for. I'm very disappointed.

Mel...

Last edited:

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
"ooh look! We can use this to get attention!! Maybe we can get on the TV!"

What it demeans (imho, oc) is the honest efforts and progress of the NAACP.

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
What's amazing to me is that the people in the clip seem to really believe what they are saying. I think that's the real story here. That they would be so ready to believe that Hallmark would do such a thing. Even after it was explained to them, they don't seem willing to believe anything except that it said what they think it said, not what hallmark says it was supposed to say.

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
I'm really disappointed by this. The NAACP has done some great work, and there's important work left to be done...why are they wasting their time looking for insults where none exist?

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
If I were white and saw this, i'd probably be thinking "Here we go again, super sensitive minorities making a big deal out of nothing..."

So, then the next time the NAACP makes a big deal of something (regardless of validity), many whites will be quick to dismiss it as another 'frivolous' accusation.
Sometimes known as Al Sharpton syndrome.

He occasionally points out something that really does need to be pointed out but nobody listens any more, at least not the white folk.

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
I don't get it either. It sounds like they were looking for attention especially given that card has been on the market for three years without a problem. Surely more people would have heard it if it was there.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
*breathes a sigh of relief at having finally managed to post a kumbaya thread.*

Lilreeper

Mother of Cats
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
(for my following post please note I am, in fact, an equal opportunity racist. I hate everyone, equally, including my own race.)

I do love how when the NAACP says something, they're being wronged, but when a white person says something it's being more racist.

When I was little (5 mo. to 1 yr. old) we lived in the black neighborhood. When we were being called crackers and having our door beat on with guns, being quiet and frankly fearing for our lives, the cops were called on us because, living there, we were being racist.

Not saying they are all like that, but seriously, I wish people would use their brains.
When I was in grade school I was told by teachers and multicultural friends I was strange because I didn't treat anyone *mexicans/blacks* differently from my white friends.

So maybe I'm just strange... but... I'm a saltine *cracker* and IMO, things will only be offensive if you take it as an offense. Stop thinking of it as a bad thing and turn the other cheek, you'll find less people want to slap you.

dgiharris

Disgruntled Scientist
Registered
Reaction score
What's amazing to me is that the people in the clip seem to really believe what they are saying. I think that's the real story here. That they would be so ready to believe that Hallmark would do such a thing. Even after it was explained to them, they don't seem willing to believe anything except that it said what they think it said, not what hallmark says it was supposed to say.

This actually happens all the time. I forget the scientific name given to this but human perception is extremely easy to manipulate with a preexisting bias.

One common experiment that anyone in criminal justice or psychology is subjected to comes to mind.

Imagine a classroom setting at a college lecture hall with around 40 people. In the front of the class there is a woman with a purse on the desk.

Five minutes into the lecture a man bursts through the front door, runs to the front of the class and in full view of everyone steals the purse and runs out.

Now, the experiment begins. People are then immediately isolated and asked to describe the man.

The range of descriptions are all over the place. Basic things like hair color and ethnicity are often wrong. Size, weight, facial features, hair, clothes, etc. likewise vary.

BUt what is interesting is that most people swear they are remembering correctly.

Anyways, a sorta similar thing happens in the case of someone listening to something if they are told something that biases them one way or the other.

That bias will actually impact and alter their observation.

HUman beings are funny funny animals.

Mel...

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
This story is just sad. Sad that an organisation that has done so much to advance civil rights in the US has sunken so low they'll rush to a press conference without apparently doing any research. Sadder that a group of well-meaning people will adhere to their story, changing it from a misunderstanding to a frank delusion, when shown up as irrational idiots at their own conference. Saddest that this story will be used by bigots to say "see? Black people are complaining about nothing! There's no such thing as racism."

I can sort of understand why Hallmark pulled the card: short-term it makes sense to pull one card line for a minimal loss to avoid months of potential bullshit. But in the long term, what? We've implicitly admitted we think black women are whores who shouldn't be allowed to graduate from university, plus we will never feature a card with a science theme again. Hooray, everyone's a winner!

Last edited:

TerzaRima

Absinthe O'Malice
Registered
Reaction score
Did anybody else think of the scene in Annie Hall where Alvy Singer is convinced the guy on the tennis court said, while passing him, "Jew eat yet?" instead of "'Dchoo eat yet?"

not_HarryS

Peen Copter Aficionado
Registered
Reaction score
The saddest part is that somebody got paid for writing that card. Pretty lame, if you ask me -- black whores or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.