American author/UK agent?

Miss Plum

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
The thread on Andrew Nurnberg in B&BC got me to wondering whether I (Yankee) should expand my queries to UK agents? The main reason I haven't so far is that . . . I just don't know whether it's done, whether it presents business complications, whether UK agents prefer to work with UK authors, etc.

Have I been needlessly overlooking a whole possible territory?

cate townsend

Registered
Reaction score
I think you should target whatever agents you think are looking for what you write. If you come across a UK agent that wants x, y, and z, and you've written x, y, and z, then send a query. It can't hurt. But do your research regardless.

Natalie_M_Fischer

Sandra Dijkstra Literary Agency
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dijkstraagency.com
I imagine that it would be the same reaction as I have to outside of US writers that query me; I treat them the same. I do know that right now, the UK is almost tougher to sell in than the US, depending on the genre. A lot of good US agents work with UK agents too, for foreign sales, in which case, you'd be better off just searching here. Our UK agents are very optimistic that the market is improving, in fact.

But if you're thinking to query b/c it might be easier, bad choice. It would most likely be tougher (only from what I've heard of the current UK market). You also have to think about what you care about the most: a US deal, a UK deal, an agent you may be able to meet, or a market/audience you really get/understand.

And then, there's always: "why the hell not." ;)

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
At least one writer in this site is across the Atlantic from their UK agent (or was, I think she's got a new agent now)

The only downside is most prefer hardcopy subs. Then again, most want the first three chapters as part of your query package which means not so much pressure on the query/cover letter. Also, be aware that a cover letter in the UK is not quite the same as a query letter in the US. ETA: thought of another downside - there's a lot less agents!

Other than that, what's stopping you?

Do it.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
The major question you need to consider is - "will my work sell in the UK?".
If the answer is yes then UK agents will be interested. There is no reason to exclude the idea of querying them because you are not in the UK.

bertrigby

Dysfunctional dystopian
Registered
Reaction score
I've seen a couple of UK agents saying on their sites that they won't take overseas clients, so it's worth checking before you send.