• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Looking for AMAZING BETAS for my first few chapters :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

xcomplex

Fantastic Fantasy!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.arielemerald.blogspot.com
Looking for BETAS for my first few chapters :)

Like the topic said I really want to get a few opinions on my first few chapters. My novel is YA fantasy and is fully 88,000. If you really like it, you can read on! I can beta in return too and help with queries.

The first few lines....

Quelling his nervousness and apprehension, Vitiosus strived to appear cool and unemotional. His father’s glare burned into his back. He knew he had no choice: kill or die.

Answer below, PM Me or E-mail me: arielemerald (at) rocketmail (dot) com

Last edited:

JayD

Recovering Lurker
Registered
Reaction score
Ah, I think you're looking in the wrong forum. Amazing betas are two forums up. This is just the regular old betas forum :tongue

But seriously, it takes a few days to get a response sometimes. But hey, while you're waiting for the amazing beta readers to rouse themselves, I'll be glad to take a look at what you've got. I'll toss you an email.

JayD

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
JayD is correct in saying the response to a request for so much of a person's time and energy is indeed often slow. But there's more to it. This discussion has taken place multiple times, but allow me to do a fast recap.
  • People are far more likely to beta if they have seen a good bit of your work. A chapter at the appropriate Share Your Work board can be enormously helpful. Link to it in your beta request.
  • People are far more likely to beta if they know you and like you. Be a presence at your genre's board, if you're not already. (It's not my genre, so I haven't seen you around.) Make yourself visible at a non-writing board, too, if you're so inclined. Be aware that if you choose one where strongly-held opinions and arguments are the norm, your sociopolitical stance may cost you potential beta readers who disagree with it.
  • Beta reading begets beta readers. Offer to beta for others in the genre. Do it as well as you're able rather than disappearing if you don't care for the work.
  • Critique for others often produces beta readers, too. People will return a much larger favor than the one you did for them, which is way cool.
  • Private arrangements often work. Read the SYW board and decide for yourself who's a good critic and why. Contact them via PM and ask if they would consider a beta read, because you've seen what great input they gave Member X and Member Z, and how the suggestion to Member Y about fixing that fatal flaw was brilliant. Often people simply cannot make the time, but sometimes they'll squeeze you in because, surprise, sincere flattery works.
Meanwhile, patience, okay?

Maryn, hoping you get volunteers

BardSkye

Barbershoppin' Harmony Whore
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
To add to Maryn's words of wisdom: Always say 'thank you' either in your original thread or via rep points, even if you hate what they're saying about your work. They're offering opinions for you to take or discard as you like, but they're still gifting you with their time.

Speaking of time, I'd offer, but it would have to wait until mid-July before I could get to it. If you're still in need of one by then, PM me.

Status
Not open for further replies.