PDA

View Full Version : Needing someone familiar with recreational skydiving

zanizh
06-05-2010, 08:40 AM
I could use some help please. I can't find this info anywhere.

When you recreational skydive, are instructors always attached to you? Are there any instances where a recreational skydiver would jump single? In order for my story to really work, my MC would have to jump by herself but I can't seem to recall an instance where I've seen a recreational jumper do that.

Thanks in advance for the insight!

mtrenteseau
06-05-2010, 09:08 AM
Tandem skydiving is a teaching method for beginners. The instructor controls the parachutes and is responsible for getting both of them to the ground safely.

More experience skydivers will definitely jump solo.

George HW Bush jumped for his 80th and 85th birthdays, and each time he jumped tandem. Due to his age, he wanted to make sure someone younger and more experienced was responsible for his safety.

Drachen Jager
06-05-2010, 09:14 AM
Most recreational skydivers don't jump in tandem. It's only for beginners or irregular skydivers.

debirlfan
06-08-2010, 04:19 AM
It also makes a difference WHEN the story is set. Back in 1978 when I jumped out of "a perfectly good airplane," for your first jumps they didn't do the tandem deal - you jumped alone, with a velcro "static line" hooked to the plane that automatically opened your chute. I think the tandem jumping came along later as the square parachutes became more popular (as I recall, they were just coming on the scene in 78 - I jumped with a round one.)

zanizh
06-10-2010, 06:51 PM
Thanks, all! This is exactly what I needed!