PDA

View Full Version : agent's assistant sending my book?

lilacat
06-05-2010, 01:48 AM
what if your agent's assistant seems to be shopping your book? What does that say about your agent's level of commitment? I'd say it could go either way--

willietheshakes
06-05-2010, 02:41 AM
Agents are busy. That's why they have assistants.

incognitopress
06-05-2010, 04:48 AM
sometimes they are busy. Other times they are busy goofing off on the internet. In my experience, some assistants can really have their hands full, to the point that it makes you wonder who your real agent is -- the assistant or the person who signed your contract. Just saying....

Miss Plum
06-05-2010, 04:52 AM
Yes to all the above, and just wait until you get a publishing contract. If you actually deal with your editor rather than his/her assistant, you'll be one of the lucky ones.

incognitopress
06-05-2010, 04:54 AM
lol @ Miss Plum. True enough :)

Danthia
06-05-2010, 05:29 PM
Assistants can also be training to take on clients of their own. Ditto editorial assistants. And they might be the ones handling communication, but the agent is the one doing the actual work. If you have questions or concerns, talk to your agent. "Seems to be" isn't always what's really going on.

Bealeblast
06-05-2010, 06:54 PM
I'm in a similar situation but in my case the very junior agent in a big agency brought my nonfiction book proposal to a very senior agent in the agency and that person sailed in to sell me on signing with them but has been MIA ever since. What I see is that it takes a very long time this way to make any real decisions...who's on the sub list, how to beef up the proposal, when to go out, because the junior agent can't make any and is always waiting for the senior to drop in on my project. I find it very frustrating because senior agent doesn't return my emails and it's stalled my submission for the last six months. We're supposed to go out again this month (having tested with three subs in Jan) and I'll see. I am not sure I want to work this way on another project. I'm really thinking I should be in a smaller or med size agency where I have more communication and attention. But I'll go through this next round and see. My guess is that senior agent drops back in to cut any deal...or I hope so.