PDA

View Full Version : Can Writing Bring People Together?

PivotalSyntax
06-04-2010, 11:57 PM
I've been trying to determine how a) music, b) writing and c) art brings people together. When I say 'brings people together' I mean that on a personal, two person basis, as in an intimate relationship.

The one I'm most concerned about is writing. Obviously you can make an outpouring of your innermost feelings through words. It's one of the direct links to your soul and feelings (along with music and art). But what about compositions other than letters to each others. Such as stories, novels, scripts, etc. that you write, and that aren't directly related to the one you love. With music, even if it's not directed towards someone, it can still be touching and it can still affect someone emotionally and bring them closer to you. But how do creations of writing bring you closer to that special someone? Can it? Can someone who writes some far-off graphic novel about superhumans powered off electricity somehow connect with the one they love even if they have no interest in that story?

What does everyone think?

milly
06-05-2010, 12:03 AM
I think so...it would be like anything else. You can appreciate the art and find it attractive in someone that he or she can do something well even if it is not your cup of tea. You can even admire the passion one has or the determination, etc. without liking the genre he or she writes in.

It is ultimately about the person and having someone who understands what you are trying to do with the "process" of it all would be rewarding...at least I think so.

:)

Lady Ice
06-05-2010, 05:51 PM
If you write something that has a 'bit of yourself' in it, then of course it can. Loads of readers talk about being able or not being able to connect to a certain writer. It's why you can get devoted fans- because they feel like you're 'talking to them'.

Alitriona
06-05-2010, 06:39 PM
Everything I write has a part of me in it. My thoughts and my emotions, I'm passionate about every word so I would be very surprised if anyone reading my work didn't finish it feeling that they know me a little better.

Jamesaritchie
06-05-2010, 09:52 PM
Sure. Though I doubt that's a good reaosn to write.

scarletpeaches
06-05-2010, 09:56 PM
I'm not sure it would bring two people who are already in a relationship closer together; they'd already love each other surely? One would hope so anyway.

But yes, writing certainly can 'speak to people' across a distance, even across time.

I have authors who make me close the book and sigh almost reverently and think "I wish I'd written that." If I ever met one in particular I'd probably burst into tears, lick his face or do something equally stupid.

Kweei
06-05-2010, 10:41 PM
I have authors who make me close the book and sigh almost reverently and think "I wish I'd written that." If I ever met one in particular I'd probably burst into tears, lick his face or do something equally stupid.

I'd pay to go see this. We could make it a reality show.

scarletpeaches
06-05-2010, 10:51 PM
"When Scarlett Met Wally: pay-per-view"...hmm...yes, I think it would be popular!

dgiharris
06-05-2010, 11:17 PM
A good story does impact us and becomes a part of us.

I've noticed that I'm much more likely to bond with someone who shares the same taste in books as I do.

If i'm already with someone and we both read a book that we both like, then it would help strengthen our bond.

This is a similar principle to dragging your signficant other to see a movie that you really love. You want them to love it to so you can love it together.

Now, does this mean the opposite happens? That if you don't like the book/movie that you can weaken the bond? To a degree, yes. But, the bond would be infinitely stronger than a book/movie so its not like if you hate "Pretty Woman" your wife will divorce you.

But conversely, if you do like "Pretty Woman" then that is just one more check in the box of good things about you that she likes.

So, the short answer to your question is yes.

Mel...

Lost World
06-11-2010, 08:38 PM
My significant other is all over any story I write that has a love interest in it. When we first met I let her read a portion of an unfinished novel (still unfinished) with a strong romance theme running through it, and it impressed the hell out of her to the point she's been bugging me for three years to pick up where I left off and finish the novel. She'll read most of the other 75% of what I write, but even the stories with female characters fail to interest her much unless there's a romance angle. The latter is the only way we connect through my writing.

Phaeal
06-11-2010, 09:38 PM
Writing brought me and the pard together, and we're still bestest betas.

Monkey
06-12-2010, 01:19 AM
Before I had kids, I carried a book with me everywhere I went. I'd read while waiting for my meal at a restaurant, while walking (it takes practice ;) ), and while doing household chores (I can prop a book with the best of 'em). My nose just didn't feel right unless it was in a book.

If you have a significant other who is also into reading, it makes for endless conversation. You can discuss the plot and characters, the writing style, the author's voice, other books that reminded you of this one...but you can also discuss deeper things, like the emotional substance of the work, the themes, and how the book relates to you and your worldview. It can really help you get to know someone and bring the two of you closer, partly by opening windows on topics you might not have ever thought to bring up on your own.

Reading is an intimate thing. Sharing it brings people closer.

I also had the fortune of meeting more than one person who said some variation of, "When we first met, you were carrying a book, and I knew right away I'd like you." One of these people is still my friend, roughly ten years later. At the time, he was extremely antisocial; his default was to dislike new people. But the book made all the difference.