An imminent sports loss

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sorry to hear about Mr. Wooden. But, I thought you were gonna say the Chicago Blackhawks...

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
John Wooden has died.

I am saddened. I am also saddened that no one here has found it appropriate to honor one of the truly good guys in U.S. sports history. Amid the various forms of awful and/or horrific news making headlines, this is a moment to say something really good about someone deserving of it.

He lived for almost a century, all of it as a vibrant, talented and classy human being. We should all aspire to such, and celebrate an admirable life.

caw

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I hereby resurrect this thread to post a link to a wonderful column that appeared today about John Wooden. For anyone too young or otherwise benighted to know who this wonderful man was, read this:

http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/John-Wooden-former-UCLA-coach-legacy-060510

He was, by any standard, the greatest college basketball coach ever. He was also, without any dispute, the finest human being ever to hold the position.

caw

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
As I said in the other thread: he turned out winning teams, and, more importantly, players who were worthwhile human beings. He was held in high regard by other coaches as well. Former AZ coach Lute Olsen would always visit with Wooden when AZ played UCLA. A few years ago Wooden asked Olsen if he could visit an AZ practice. Olsen sent a jet to CA to pick him and bring him to Tucson.

MM

Status
Not open for further replies.