• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Need Betas for completed middle-grade SUPERHERO 150pgs

Status
Not open for further replies.

katrinangel

Advice welcome, thank you!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.webook.com
Specifically, I need people to judge the story arc, as that is my biggest weakness (and the most important part, right?).

I already got a request for the full based on a query contest, and need help getting it in shiny shape as quickly as possible.

I know, I know...patience.

Please help if you can. I'd happily return the favor, especially for other middle-graders or YA.

Any mentor types that might be reading this, I am very humble and would love to bask in your wisdom.

*Oh, it's kind of a boy book, if that makes a difference to people. I hope it transcends gender, though.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
This is not meant to be insulting, but an observation:

That you tagged this with a page count instead of a word count makes me wonder if you've done you homework on writing in general, much less the specific genre. Page count is meaningless to an agent, it changes with font, font size, spacing, and margins. That's why they want word count. Do you know your word count or the target count for your genre?

katrinangel

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.webook.com
Wow. Blunt.

40,000. And I have done tons of research. This is my 4th novel.

Are you interested in being a beta? Sounds like you know how to be up-front. :)

Inkblot

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Ouch!

And not true, in my experience. When I asked agent Mark McVeigh (after he read first chapter at an SCBWI event) what length I should be aiming for in my young middle grade, he said "about 120 pages." Didn't say anything about word count. Also, I've heard editors mention page counts, too.

Could you tell us a little more about your story?

katrinangel

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.webook.com
Fans of Disney's Sky High or Matthew Cody's Powerless will like this book. It's about Robert, a villain-in-training who is the joke of Dark Academy. In order to graduate, he has to complete three special projects to prove his villain-hood. He has an evil twin named Rupert and a very non-villany superpower: repairing things--anything--with a wink.

He thinks Rupert is his biggest problem, but when he meets a group of teenage heroes from the other side of the forest, he finds out that someone far more dangerous is gaining power.

Robert has to choose between loyalty to his family and being true to the hero within...and he has to do it before both sides of the forest are under the true villain's complete control.

Inkblot

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Also, have you hooked up with SCBWI yet? They're having their annual conference at the end of July in Los Angeles, and it's a really good event.

katrinangel

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.webook.com
Inkblot, I would LOVE to go to SCBWI, but there's no way I can afford it this year. *sobs like a baby*

Maybe next year...

Inkblot

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Also, Katrina, I'd send you a private message but I don't know how. Do you?

ArcticFox

The Childlike Empress
Registered
Reaction score
katrina - I will beta for you. You may contact me through AW if you want to ask me any questions. Generally speaking I have an MA in English Language and Literature. You are looking for story arc stuff and probably plot inconsistencies? That I can do and I read very fast.

katrinangel

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.webook.com
Also, Katrina, I'd send you a private message but I don't know how. Do you?

Did you get my private message explaining how to private message? :)

Click on my username on the side of this comment and a dropdown box includes private message.

Status
Not open for further replies.