Seattle and Vancouver Recommendations

CoffeeLover

Registered
Reaction score
Hello fellow writers,

I am going to Seattle in a few days for the first time. Then I'm taking the train to Vancouver. I have guidebooks of course and I've been checking out things on the internet, but I wondered of you have any must see places of a literary sort. Any especially good places to write, be it a cafe or library? Any great paper stores or bookstores?

Spill!

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, the most obvious is Pike Street Market, but that's probably already on your list. Great place to people watch though. (The food's not bad either.)

CoffeeLover

Registered
Reaction score
Yep, it's on my list but thanks all the same.

I was thinking of something I might not come across without someone pointing me there. (Also, I live in a place overrun with tourists and sometimes I wonder why they're lining up for X and seem to be neglecting Y and it makes me a little leery of guidebooks in general.)

Anyone?

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Well, the most obvious is Pike Street Market,

But their public loo stall doors are only shoulder high, which is weird.

If the weather is good in Vancouver a bit of roller blading or biking around Stanley Park is fun, they have rentals.

Last edited:

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think Pike Place is all that touristy, actually. I think it really is a nice place to go and people watch. I think you can spend a whole day there. The Space Needle is an example of something that's touristy. :D

Off the top of my head...other places...

Cafes: Beth's Cafe on Aurora (it should still be there, though it's been a few years for me)

Library: Suzallo/Allen on UW campus. Plus there's a lot of cool shops in the University District.

Parks: Arboretum (w/Japanese Gardens) and Alki beach (in West Seattle, very nice area)

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In Seattle, the Science Fiction Museum is a MUST. It's housed in the Experience Music Project. It only takes a few hours to go through. I almost died of awesomeness there. My mom hates sci-fi and she really enjoyed it too :) While you're at it, the trip up the Space Needle is really cool and the view is worth it.

If you're looking in the guidebook, ALERT! Elliot Bay Bookstore just moved a mile up the road, and the new address is probly not in the guidebook. I was there last month, and the smell of fresh paint gave me a massive headache. It's a neat store tho. Seattle is absolutely overrun with classy-looking coffee places, so I think if you close your eyes, spin around, and point in any direction, you'll see a nice place to write :)

Deleted member 42

Yep, it's on my list but thanks all the same.

I was thinking of something I might not come across without someone pointing me there. (Also, I live in a place overrun with tourists and sometimes I wonder why they're lining up for X and seem to be neglecting Y and it makes me a little leery of guidebooks in general.)

There are little used book shops tucked inside, beneath the main portion of Pikes. Also, the University Bookstore is super.

I love Ivar's and Piroshky Piroshky. Both are near Pikes. Go to Piroshky Piroshky for breakfast "to go. "Go to Ivar's for fresh seafood.

Lots of amazing Chinese restaurants in Vancouver. Ask everyone what their favorite is--lots of different kinds of Chinese cuisine, even Chinese delis.

The Seattle Underground tour is super too.

And there's amazing micro and craft beer there.

Last edited by a moderator:

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, when at Pikes, visit the gum wall. The large glob of watermelon Bubbalicious is mine. ;)

cray

Superior Life form
Registered
Reaction score
i'd check out adventure aquarium in camden.

of course, that's in new jersey, so yanno,....you might have to change trains a few times.

no. this isn't helpful at all.
sorry.

:D

K1P1

Procrastination is its own reward
Registered
Reaction score
I like Chapters bookstore in Vancouver. Not out of the way at all, but last time I was there it had a good cafe.

In Vancouver, go to the UBC Museum of Anthropology. I know it's not in any of the categories you listed, but just GO!.

The market on Granville Island is also fun to go to. They've got lots of little booths you can buy food, drink and coffee at. And a little eating area, with an upstairs level with nice views. Great place to sit and write. And you can come and go on the water taxi.