Should I hide my Passion? (or SMUGGLING WONDERLAND)

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Okay. Here’s the thing. The thing is…

I’m dying to get ALICE IN WONDERLAND. But it’s one of those movies I’m going to blitz out crazy obsession on. I know. When my wife and I saw it at the theatre I thought about it for days and weeks afterward. I mean, I woke up thinking about it. I LOVED it. When we walked out of the theatre, I started to go on and on about how incredible it was…how amazed I was, how in love I was with it. Then…I looked over and saw my wife’s expression for the first time. You know that puzzled look of befuddlement one gets when they have opposing views from you. “It was okay…but it wasn’t that good.”

WHAT! How dare you.

Now…I know it’s on DVD and I have to own it. But it’s going to be one of those contentious things, like WONDER BOYS or THE ROYAL TENENBAUMS. After I watch is 18 times in a row and start quoting from it in my everyday life, she will grow weary. Only four of my obsessive movies have been completely tolerated thus far. I can watch BENNY & JOON or GIRL, INTERRUPTED or THE BASKETBALL DIARIES or REALITY BITES as often as I want…and she doesn’t seem to tire from them. But Wonder Boys and Tenenbaums…I can’t help myself. I can watch them 6 times in a row, and cue it up for the seventh. AND I KNOW THIS IS GOING TO BE THE COMPULSION with ALICE IN WONDERLAND too.

Must I sneak it into the house? (-: Oh noes…what’s a Wonderland lover to do???

Maybe I'll just casually bring it into the house and we'll just watch it once and then I can shelf it. (-;

Reaction score
I would only marry someone who could deal with my Gladiator fixation.

Complaining about Joaquin Phoenix would be a divorceable offence Chez Peaches.

Wicked

Outcast Rogue
Registered
Reaction score
Chants, "Buy it! Buy it! Buy it!"

If I get hooked on a movie I might watch it a couple times a week, and then gradually space it out to a few times a year.
I watched Vampire Hunter D:Bloodlust, and Outlander about 6-7 times over the last few months.

Music, on the other hand, I will play over and over for days.

Hubby said if I ever play my Pirates of the Carribean cd while he's home again, he's going to snap it in half. It's one of my quirks that makes him glad he hasn't lived her in three years.

Cella

Cella
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
can't you just watch it when she's not there?

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, for about twenty bucks you can buy some earphones, only play it on the small tv, (so the rest of the family does not have to listen to it.) and that way only you will hear and see it.

Buy a big roll of duck tape and place it over your mouth. Now....I don't see what the problem is. :evil

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Chants, "Buy it! Buy it! Buy it!"

If I get hooked on a movie I might watch it a couple times a week, and then gradually space it out to a few times a year.
I watched Vampire Hunter D:Bloodlust, and Outlander about 6-7 times over the last few months.

Music, on the other hand, I will play over and over for days.

Hubby said if I ever play my Pirates of the Carribean cd while he's home again, he's going to snap it in half. It's one of my quirks that makes him glad he hasn't lived her in three years.

oh my god! there are others like me! i still didn't replace my wonder boys VHS with the DVD...I'm afraid that all hell will break loose. I feel your pain. (-;

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
It's one of those for better or for worse things. My husband cycles through serial obsessions too. I don't always like it, boring old moderate that I am, but I have to tolerate it. He's my husband, after all.

I say buy it. You know you want to.

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe "Watch my beloved's favorite movies over and over without complaint" should be part of the standard wedding vows.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Maybe "Watch my beloved's favorite movies over and over without complaint" should be part of the standard wedding vows.

where were you 22 years ago when we were doing our vows?! This is brilliant. Could we grandfather this clause?

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
How can she not want you quoting The Royal Tenenbaums??? That movie is made of pure, undiluted AWESOME!!!!

i know, right! brilliant!

she hates it when i stand in front of the mirror with the razor and stare. she has no time for tents in the family room, either.

lucidzfl

Back from the dead
Registered
Reaction score
I would only marry someone who could deal with my Gladiator fixation.

Complaining about Joaquin Phoenix would be a divorceable offence Chez Peaches.

Do you watch Spartacus: Blood and Sand?

Kathleen42

crushing on fictional characters
Registered
Reaction score
Now…I know it’s on DVD and I have to own it. But it’s going to be one of those contentious things, like WONDER BOYS or THE ROYAL TENENBAUMS.

But... But... How can those be contentious things? Surely everyone watches the scene where Margo gets off the bus 20 times in a row, don't they?

All I can say after a post like this is that it's a good thing you're married. Otherwise, I'd have a wee bit of an AW crush right about now.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
But... But... How can those be contentious things? Surely everyone watches the scene where Margo gets off the bus 20 times in a row, don't they?

All I can say after a post like this is that it's a good thing you're married. Otherwise, I'd have a wee bit of an AW crush right about now.

lol.

ah, Margo! getting off the bus. if i could freeze that moment, i'd die happy.

Kathleen42

Registered
Reaction score
lol.

ah, Margo! getting off the bus. if i could freeze that moment, i'd die happy.

That, the "Needle in the Hay" sequence, and the opening credits set to "Hey Jude" have got to be three of the most perfect scenes in the history of film-making.

cray

Superior Life form
Registered
Reaction score
hide your passion, ktc.

hide. your. passion.

Kathleen42

Registered
Reaction score
On a Wonder Boys side note, I saw Dylan play "Things Have Changed" from second row center. He had his oscar on stage. It was awesome. Unfortunately, none of the people I had gone with were Wonder Boys fans and they weren't sure why I was freaking out.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
*freezes moment for KTC...waits expectantly*

your freeze dried humour does not amuse me. can it, pinko commi freak!

That, the "Needle in the Hay" sequence, and the opening credits set to "Hey Jude" have got to be three of the most perfect scenes in the history of film-making.

I think the opening sequence is one of my favourite in filmdom. That adam sandler movie (yes...i said adam sandler...not a fan, but...) where he rides his little scooter thing through the city is up there for opening sequences too.

On a Wonder Boys side note, I saw Dylan play "Things Have Changed" from second row center. He had his oscar on stage. It was awesome. Unfortunately, none of the people I had gone with were Wonder Boys fans and they weren't sure why I was freaking out.

Man! I LOVE that song...goes so well with the movie, too. i would have known why you were freaking! (-;