PDA

View Full Version : British army rank and insignia

Wiskel
06-03-2010, 01:00 PM
I'm using the WW2 British infantry as a template for an army in my WIP.

I've been trying to get my head around ranks and insignia, and in particular, how rank is visually represented on the uniform.

I have a small squad of 7, led by a Lieutenant, with one sergeant. The other soldiers are privates....I might add a corporal but I'm trying to keep secondary characters fairly simple.

My squad is going to resign while out in the field. I have my imagery of the lieutenant being able to tear off the pips on his shoulder, and the sergeant removing his chevrons (please correct me if I'm using incorrect terminology), but I'm struggling for a visual image of what an infantry private might be able to do do symbolise resigning. I can't figure out what identifying symbols would be on their uniform.

I have as much flexibility as I want (6 of my soldiers are teddy bears.......best not to ask really), but If I use a template, I'd like to stay as faithful to it as I can.

Any ideas would be appreciated

Craig

waylander
06-03-2010, 01:28 PM
Cap badges, regimental insignia on uniform which they could remove.
http://www.britishbadge.co.uk/
http://www.britisharmedforces.org/

Wiskel
06-04-2010, 03:01 AM
Thanks.

I'd been hoping to make a bit of a joke out of the scene later. I was hoping that the army used a nice linear system for ranks, so that someone who collected the insignia from several soldiers could claim that the total number of pips/ stripes they'd acquired made them a general....but the lack of something simple, like pips or stripes for privates looks like scuppering that one.

Craig

Kenny
06-04-2010, 01:11 PM
My limited understanding is that lieutenants do not lead sections (I believe that is the proper term). I think that corporals run sections with a lance corporal to help them. Sergeant's were platoon sized NCO.

Then again I might be wrong, please check.

BTW NCOs use stripes, COs use pips.

Wiskel
06-04-2010, 04:41 PM
My limited understanding is that lieutenants do not lead sections (I believe that is the proper term). I think that corporals run sections with a lance corporal to help them. Sergeant's were platoon sized NCO.

Then again I might be wrong, please check.

BTW NCOs use stripes, COs use pips.

Thanks Kenny,

You're absolutely right about the unusual command structure. I've asked about it before and been told that it's reasonable for me to have my lieutenant in command of a 30 strong platoon, and have the platoon consist of 5 squads of 6, with a sergeant lead each one.

This is pretty much the platoon where all the undesirables get placed. Got to love corruption and social stigma as an excuse to create what you need as an author.

It's only important that my leader is a commissoned officer in the lower ranks though. I'm happy to take advice on his actual rank. Initially I wanted him to be a captain (it's easier to spell than lieutenant) but then I'd have had to significantly increase the numbers under his command and had an even harder time putting him in the field.

I've engineered my storyline to have the lieutenant sent on a mission specifically so he can take the blame when it goes wrong, and he's taken one of the squads (so one sergeant's squad) with him.....but thanks for the catch. That's exactly the sort of thing I need to be careful about.

Craig