PDA

View Full Version : Birth control options in 1973/ How long did a pregnancy test take?

Author or Princess
06-03-2010, 03:40 AM
What options would be available in 1973 for an 18 yr old girl about to get married? She is a country girl who will travel to a "city doctor" to get, what?

She wants to start a family in the near future but needs birth control for now.

What she's going to find out is that she's already pregnant. If she's just a few weeks along when she goes to the dr., what test would the dr do to determine pregnancy and how long till the results would be known?

Thanks for any help!

MissMacchiato
06-03-2010, 04:42 AM
it would be a urine test, and should not take very long.

She'd most likely be offered either the pill, or maybe an IUD, or even a diaphragm. The pill would be the easiest route to go, IMO :)

mccardey
06-03-2010, 04:57 AM
it would be a urine test, and should not take very long.

Are you sure? The test wouldn't take long, but as I remember even in the early eighties the results weren't immediate (if you were in early pregnancy). I seem to remember going back for the results a day or two later... and am I crazy, or was a positive urine test always followed up with the more reliable bloodtest? Or was it just me that got that...?

Also I distinctly remember going up when I first suspected I was pregnant and being told it was too early to make a test worthwhile; to come back in a couple of weeks.... This is 1982 data.

BardSkye
06-03-2010, 05:28 AM
Spermicidal creams were also available at that time.

MissMacchiato
06-03-2010, 05:42 AM
Are you sure? The test wouldn't take long, but as I remember even in the early eighties the results weren't immediate (if you were in early pregnancy). I seem to remember going back for the results a day or two later... and am I crazy, or was a positive urine test always followed up with the more reliable bloodtest? Or was it just me that got that...?

Also I distinctly remember going up when I first suspected I was pregnant and being told it was too early to make a test worthwhile; to come back in a couple of weeks.... This is 1982 data.

Nope... not 100%, but according to this website:

http://history.nih.gov/exhibits/thinblueline/timeline.html

they could do a 2 hour test. So fairly fast.

Kalyke
06-03-2010, 06:37 AM
Look up Wampole 2 hour test. It was conducted in a laboratory at the doctors office. http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art44462.asp "The History of the Pregnancy Test"

mccardey
06-03-2010, 07:28 AM
Nope... not 100%, but according to this website:

http://history.nih.gov/exhibits/thin.../timeline.html

they could do a 2 hour test. So fairly fast.

Oh well - you could be right. I'm talking 28 years ago and that's a lot of vodka... ;)

CACTUSWENDY
06-03-2010, 07:47 AM
First baby was born in 1971. I had taken the birth control pills for a little while. When I stopped taking the pill to start a family I got PG like...zap. A couple of weeks into the pregnancy I went to the Dr. office...and within ten minutes had the results.

thothguard51
06-03-2010, 08:05 AM
I think the first home pregnancy test took a couple of hours before it showed the results. I remember my wife and I getting snookered while waiting. By time we got the result, (negative), we didn't give a shit...

Depending on if the doctors sent out to a lab, it could be 24 hrs. In office was generally the same day depending on how busy the office lab was. And yes, most Doctors didn't want you coming in unless you had missed your cycle... As I remember.