My kitty tried to become a bunneh murderer...

EFCollins

World Class Rambler
Registered
Reaction score
Way out there in BFE, where no one can hear you sc
Website
efcollins.blogspot.com
Yesterday, I walk outside and one of the strays who have decided they belong to me was chasing something around the yard. I figured it was a mole or some other such thing.

It was a baby bunny. He did not get to hurt it much and walked away as I approached. The poor little bunny was laying very flat on the ground, its little heart jumping a thousand miles a minute. My stupid cat tore a small hole in its back and scratched its nose.

Now I have a problem. I have a wild baby bunneh in my house. What? Was I supposed to leave it out there bleeding and hurt? No, he or she is sitting comfortably in a box of hay in my living room. So... what now? What do I do with the bunneh?

PoppysInARow

Book Reviewer y'all
Registered
Reaction score
Take it to a vet, first of all. You wouldn't want the wound to get it infected.

Otherwise, let it go? Of course, if it's a baby, it might not be able to find it's way home.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Soft kitty, warm kitty Little ball of fur. Happy kitty, sleepy kitty Purr purr purr.

murder kitty, kill kitty little ball of hate. mad kitty, dead kitty purr purr purr.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
i'd take it to the vet. i think. i don't know if the mother bunneh would accept it back...now that it has human smell on it. though, i don't know for sure?

EFCollins

World Class Rambler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
efcollins.blogspot.com
LOL @ Kevin. Chocolate is a good cat... he keeps the field mice away. But for some reason, I don't think he'd be able to handle a bunny much older than a few weeks.

@Poppy I called a vet this morning and they said to take it to the animal shelter; that they'd treat its wounds and raise it by hand until it could take care of itself. I called the animal shelter, and they say they won't do that. They claim I should have "let nature do its thing". Rabbit population has to be culled by natural means or they'll be everywhere and blah-de-blah. :/ Sorry, but if my kids had seen their beloved kitty cat viciously gnawing on bunneh remains, they'd have tripped the fluck out and I'd have had to fight their hysterics all evening (my kids love aminals as much as I do... which is why I live in a petting zoo).

It looks almost old enough to be able to eat on its own... I tried feeding it with an eyedropper and it wouldn't have any of it, but it drinks from the water dish just fine.

But it scratched my wrists and palms when I was trying to feed it. I'm assuming the nest is nearby, but I've looked in what I thought were likely spots and can't find a thing.

I dunno what to do with it. It can't live in a box of hay forever and my vet is being a butthead. I don't go anywhere else... I suppose I could, but I'm not sure of how reputable any of the other vets in the area are.

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
But it scratched my wrists and palms when I was trying to feed it. I'm assuming the nest is nearby, but I've looked in what I thought were likely spots and can't find a thing.

I have no advice on what to do with the bunny, but you really need to pay close attention to those scratches and see a doctor if they even look like they might be infected. I've seen animal scratches go bad. Very bad. Very quickly. It will be hard for you to write if you lose your hands.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
I'd be a little concerned about rabies, I guess, though I guess it would have to bite you.

Years ago my Dobermann was chasing a baby bunny. First time I ever heard one scream.

Recently my dogs found a baby possum. Ugly thing. My Jack Russell was running around with it like it was one of the stuff animals it plays with. I pushed it into a bucket with a broom handle and moved it out of the dogs' yard to "let nature do its thing."

hester

New year, new avatar.
Registered
Reaction score
Not sure where you live, but maybe you could try a zoo or farm in your area? They might be able to point you in the right direction...

Also, be careful of your hands, etc.-you don't want to get sick yourself (I'm a neurotic weirdo about things like tetanus, etc.-comes from growing up in the city :)) That said, I would have rescued the bunny too-I have a soft spot for cute little furry things...

Good luck!

EFCollins

World Class Rambler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
efcollins.blogspot.com
Meh, I dumped some peroxide on the scratches, followed by alcohol, so those are good to go. They aren't very deep, except a couple of them, and I've inflicted far worse on myself just by being an idiot.

If rabies were a factor, it wouldn't go near water or food, would it? I shaved up some carrots and chunked some tomato for it a minute ago and when I put the food in the box, it came out to sniff and see what was up. Of course, I could be wrong about the rabies part (about them being skittish of food and water, I mean) but I'm not overly worried about me. I just don't want my kids to get attached to the darned rabbit or we'll end up keeping it, wild bunny or tame bunny, they donnae care.

I grew up in the country and have raised all kinds of animals (including a deer fawn that got left behind by its mother... I'll tell you guys about that some time) that got separated from their mothers, but this is the first rabbit. I've owned domesticated rabbits, but wild ones are meaner--they tend to kick and such (Effie made good use of google last night) and as cute as it is, I don't want it to scratch my kids up.

ETA: Unfortunately, google also had buttloads of bad information on wild rabbit care, too. Which is why I'm asking here what to do with it.

Last edited:

Rachel

Stuff and nonsense.
Registered
Reaction score
Little bunnehs usually don't live long once they've been scratched up. My suggestion would be to patch it up the best as you can (maybe a vet could do it better) and release it as close to where it came from as possible.

Maybe keep kitteh inside for a few hours to give it time to get away safely?

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Rabies is unlikely, but you can catch other things because although it is cute, it is also a wild rodent.

Don't mean to be a killjoy. Just want you to be safe. Google rabbit fever or Tularemia if you become concerned.

Good luck with the critter. :)

DL Hegel

Tigress Tyrant
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not Kirk, Spock, Luke, Flash or Arthur frellin
Website
www.myspace.com
i'd take it to the vet. i think. i don't know if the mother bunneh would accept it back...now that it has human smell on it. though, i don't know for sure?

This is likely a correct assumption. The longer the baby is away the less likely it is the mom will take it back.

Hassenpfeffer?

Yum. That's what your kitty was thinking when it attacked the bunny, it's hard wired to hunt.

As far as the bunny? I think you are stuck with it until it can fend for itself. Unless you know someone who breeds rabbits and would accept a feral one?

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
This is the best information I could dig up.

http://www.rabbitweb.net/wild-babies.asp

Even has rabbit formula if it's too young. If your kids do get attached but you still don't want a wild bunny for all the obvious reasons of why you really shouldn't, perhaps offer to get them a tame one instead?

Anyway, that site has good information that seems pretty much inline with everything I've ever heard.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I would suggest keeping it somewhere dark and quiet, then if it is eating and drinking and starting to heal after a couple of days, let it go. Once rabbit babies have left the nest they are ready to look after themselves. They just tend to be a bit stupid for a week or so while they figure stuff out.

Rachel

Stuff and nonsense.
Registered
Reaction score
My momma tells me to tell you to get "bunny pellet" food. Because rabbits have the richest milk ever little bunnehs can't live with just veggies. Also: don't put it in the sun because bunnehs can't cool down...

My momma is wise.

EFCollins

World Class Rambler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
efcollins.blogspot.com
:) Tell your momma thank you. Much appreciated, Rachael.

ETA: Vein, I think it may be. The web page icerose sent me to said if there was no white tuft on its head it was weaned, and there's no white at all on its head. I'll just offer it different stuff, grass, veggies, dandelions and such, fo a few days to make sure it's gonne get better and send it on its way.

Thanks guys. Y'all rock.

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Most Humane Societies take injured wild life for free. Just say you can't make the donation. In some states you can be fined for keeping wild life in your house.

Hope bunny is okay.

AZ_Dawn

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
If your kids do get attached but you still don't want a wild bunny for all the obvious reasons of why you really shouldn't, perhaps offer to get them a tame one instead?
:eek: Afraid I have to say no on this. Kitty Collins tried to kill one rabbit; I wouldn't trust him with another.

I remember how Missy the dog and Steve the rabbit became sort-of friends. Their first meeting was through a mesh screen. A bit later, he was allowed to run semi-free. Missy tried putting her paws on him as if he was a moving toy, but after lots of scolding she stopped that and restrained herself to sniffs and the occasional lick (much to Steve's consternation). However, I think Missy being a herding breed rather than a hunting breed helped keep the relationship non-violent. Except the few times she was excited and near trod on him trying to say hello to us or threaten the mailman through the window.