Is writing traditional fantasy wise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

roostercharmer

Registered
Reaction score
I'm new here (though not to forums in general) so if this is already being discussed somewhere I apologize.

It just seems the trend these days is for publishers not to want traditional fantasy but more urban-type fantasy or fantasy grounded more in realism, modern times and the planet Earth. And wasn't it Stephen King who said we should write the novel that will be popular in two years, not today? I'm thinking in a couple of years these types of novels will be even more popular.

I ask because I've just started on novel #2 and it's traditional fantasy (no wizards, elves and dwarves but definitely set on some planet that resembles past Earth but has it's own history and rules). I'm wondering if I should scrap the setting and restart it set in modern earth, or at least make it a historical fantasy. As much as I love writing for writing, I do want to get published. And maybe after I've got something more mainstream under my belt I'll be in a position to get those traditional fantasies out there.

What do you all think?

Nivarion

Brony level >9000
Registered
Reaction score
I'm new here (though not to forums in general) so if this is already being discussed somewhere I apologize.

It just seems the trend these days is for publishers not to want traditional fantasy but more urban-type fantasy or fantasy grounded more in realism, modern times and the planet Earth. And wasn't it Stephen King who said we should write the novel that will be popular in two years, not today? I'm thinking in a couple of years these types of novels will be even more popular.

I ask because I've just started on novel #2 and it's traditional fantasy (no wizards, elves and dwarves but definitely set on some planet that resembles past Earth but has it's own history and rules). I'm wondering if I should scrap the setting and restart it set in modern earth, or at least make it a historical fantasy. As much as I love writing for writing, I do want to get published. And maybe after I've got something more mainstream under my belt I'll be in a position to get those traditional fantasies out there.

What do you all think?

High fantasy, the type your thinking of, is still very popular today. Urban fantasy is a popular genre, but its got more.... uh hype I guess.

On the writing level of them good high fantasy and good urban fantasy are stories of the same quality and craftsmanship.

So it really comes down to the story. Fantasy tends to be more about the people and ideas involved, than about the setting and macguffins.

So just think about your story. Is it better told as urban or high fantasy?

RemusShepherd

Banned
Flounced
VPXI
Reaction score
Website
remus-shepherd.livejournal.com
The thing is, if you don't write the story you want to write, you'll never finish it -- or you'll finish it in a soulless, mechanical way that will make it unsatisfying to read.

Write what you want to write.

Now, if you have ideas for both high and urban fantasy novels, you might decide to write the urban fantasy first. But the book you write second will turn out better because you'll have learned more. So it's still a tradeoff.

My advice is not to worry about it too much. :)

Kweei

Expert Procrastinator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kltownsend.com
I wouldn't force your story into something it's not. It will show in your writing and you might end up resentful.

For example, I know sex sells, but I just am not interested in writing detailed sex scenes in any of my writing, whether it's fantasy or something else. If I did, it would show that I was forcing it.

Not sure how that will impact me later one when I'm looking to shop the manuscript around, but I have to stay true to my interests.

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
A prolific writer might come up with scads of idea's on what sells tomorrow. They are so prolific in fact, they have a scad of trunked novels they can take out and refresh to meet future market trends.

Unfortunately, I am not one of those writers and know very few who are. I write what I know and know what I write. If its not popular today, I'll wait 20 years and it will be popular again...

Ineti

Purveyor of Prose
Registered
Reaction score
Write what you're passionate about. Don't chase trends or try to predict the industry. Write what you enjoy writing and if you do it well, you'll get published.

virtue_summer

Always learning
Registered
Reaction score

What do you all think?

The part in bold is an assumption on your part that may or may not end up being the case. Tastes change. Two years from now it may turn out that there's a wider demand for high fantasy than urban fantasy. The thing is that there's really no way to know. What you've suggested is actually writing for today's market because you assume it will be the same tomorrow. So what happens if you write something your heart's not in and then the market changes and you spent all that time on something that's no easier to sell than your high fantasy is now? Write the stories you love and make them so good that nobody can resist them and when published they can create market trends, rather than trying to follow them. Just my opinion, of course.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Look in your local bookshop. Trad fantasy is way more prolific in mine than UF (although I'm in the UK, it may be different where you are)

And for some advice from someone who knows better than me: Don't write to the market, but write with the market at the back of your mind.

In other words: Don't churn out a vampire romance novel because 'that's what sells', but write your story knowing what is popular / selling / readers like.

If you don't know what is popular - read recently pubbed books found on your local book shop shelves. Know your market.

MGraybosch

Lunch Break Novelist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.matthewgraybosch.com
What do you all think?

I think you should write the novel that you want to write, revise until you're ready to publish it, and let the publisher decide why he won't publish your work. Right now you sound like a guy who wants to ask a girl out but keeps making up reasons why she'll say no. Stop that.

Paul

Banned
Reaction score
I think you should write the novel that you want to write, revise until you're ready to publish it, and let the publisher decide why he won't publish your work. Right now you sound like a guy who wants to ask a girl out but keeps making up reasons why she'll say no. Stop that.

The embolden text is going on my favourite quotes list.

I agree with 7 of the 8 excellent responses. 8 out of 8, my mistakeLike what you right, cos no matter how ambitious you are, you won't summon the energy to continue.

On the other side of things, the great thing about fantasy is that it is open to new inventions, compare Donaldson with Gemmell and Martin, and Butcher and...

Last edited:

MGraybosch

Lunch Break Novelist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.matthewgraybosch.com
I ask because I've just started on novel #2 and it's traditional fantasy (no wizards, elves and dwarves but definitely set on some planet that resembles past Earth but has it's own history and rules).

By the way, I think it's fair to say that since The Lord of the Rings has not been allowed to go out of print, there's still a market for traditional fantasy. And if you think you have it tough, try writing urban fantasy that doesn't have vampires, werewolves, or faeries.

I just got yet another rejection for Starbreaker. The agent, who I'll leave unnamed, said, "Couldn't you make the devas into vampires, and the asuras into werewolves? Couldn't you change the Insof into Queen Mab or Cthulhu, and change the Starbreaker into Excalibur?"

I was tempted to write a very short letter consisting of the following: "Not without utterly ruining the story, you demon-ridden waste of ammo."

facepalm1.jpg

Rhys Cordelle

Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I just got yet another rejection for Starbreaker. The agent, who I'll leave unnamed, said, "Couldn't you make the devas into vampires, and the asuras into werewolves? Couldn't you change the Insof into Queen Mab or Cthulhu, and change the Starbreaker into Excalibur?"

Are you serious?!?! That's TERRIBLE!

Damn you Stephanie Myer. Look what you've done to the market! I'm so sick of seeing a whole display of vampire novels in every book store I go into.

roostercharmer

Registered
Reaction score
You people are awesome. Let's just get that out there right now.

Starting at approx. this moment: "Right now you sound like a guy who wants to ask a girl out but keeps making up reasons why she'll say no. Stop that." things started getting hilarious.

Yes, I was having a moment. I've been trying to get my first novel published, which can be discouraging at the best of times as you all know. But thanks. All fantastic, positive replies and I appreciate every one. You're all right--gotta write what I love and feel passionate about, screw the trends. I've actually got a near-future sci-fi idea brewing that I'm really excited about so maybe I'll start on that, too.

And vampires may just be dead. I read in another thread somewhere on here that werewolves are the new "it" legendary creature. :Shrug:

MGraybosch

Lunch Break Novelist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.matthewgraybosch.com
Are you serious?!?! That's TERRIBLE!

I am serious, but don't just blame Stiffenie Meyer. Blame Laurell K. Hamilton for making urban fantasy synonymous with vampires and werewhatevers. The hell of it is that Starbreaker actually had a vampire character. His name was Aleister Crowley, and he was helping the protagonist.

Rhys Cordelle

Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Memnoch the Devil is where I gave up on her series. I was a fan but I lost interest reading that.

The thing is, I actually am a big fan of vampires, but I've gotten into a headspace where I assume that any new book featuring vampires is going to be of the Twilight variety. I shouldn't be so quick to judge.

Death Wizard

Tumhe na koci puujetha
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.deathwizardchronicles.blogspot.com
I disagree with some of what's being said here. In my experience, which has now spanned six years of on-again, off-again success regarding my high fantasy series, I have come to the conclusion that high fantasy is indeed a very difficult sell right now-- far more difficult than urban fantasy and several other forms.

I agree when people say that you can't force something just because it might or might not be popular. But high fantasy is really tough right now. Really tough.

Mouseferatu

Rodent of the Dark
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mouseferatu.com
The hell of it is that Starbreaker actually had a vampire character. His name was Aleister Crowley, and he was helping the protagonist.

Just out of curiosity, is he meant to be the Aleister Crowley having been turned into a vampire, or just a vampire who took the name?

(I used to write for the Vampire: the Masquerade role-playing game, so I'm always a little leery of "historical character turned into vampire" characters, but that doesn't mean they can't be done well by the right people.)

Mouseferatu

Rodent of the Dark
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mouseferatu.com
But high fantasy is really tough right now. Really tough.

Tough, but not impossible. I signed a two-book high fantasy deal with Spectra back in late 2008/early2009--the first book came out a few months ago, and the second is due out in January--and I've more recently sold two other high fantasy books to Pyr Books, coming out in 2011 and 2012.

Now, I can't speak to how well the book that just came out is doing--I honestly don't know--so I'm not saying roostercharmer should count his chickens before they hatch*, nor am I saying it'll be anything remotely close to easy. But I'd definitely side with the people saying "write what you're enthused to write," at least initially. You can always branch out later, when you have more ideas or it's "out of your system."

*(See what I did there? ;))

Last edited:

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
Fantasy and Urban fantasy are two different things.

Traditional fantasy is still popular. so i wouldn't worry about it.

MGraybosch

Lunch Break Novelist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.matthewgraybosch.com
Just out of curiosity, is he meant to be the Aleister Crowley having been turned into a vampire, or just a vampire who took the name?

It was the Aleister Crowley. The ritual he used to become immortal, the Chemical Wedding, didn't work out the way he had expected. I got rid of him because vampires didn't fit the direction in which I was taking the story.

Status
Not open for further replies.