PDA

View Full Version : Polar opposite or not?

Ton Lew Lepsnaci
06-02-2010, 07:21 PM
Following up on a thread (what character did you ever want to become):

if you could become a favorite character: would you rather go for a completely different personality (to take a look over the fence) or stay in character?

willietheshakes
06-02-2010, 07:48 PM
Might I suggest Office Party for threads of this sort, as they don't really have anything to do with writing.

Phaeal
06-02-2010, 08:44 PM
I'm going with polar opposite and Gail Wynand again, except that I'm like Gail Wynand in some ways*, so it would be a little of both.

* Good in bed, for example. ;)

Ton Lew Lepsnaci
06-02-2010, 11:52 PM
Might I suggest Office Party for threads of this sort, as they don't really have anything to do with writing.

Sure. It's got more to do with writers :)

Mr Flibble
06-03-2010, 12:35 AM
I'm confuddled (not hard to do)

If I stayed in character, surely I'd be me?

Ton Lew Lepsnaci
06-03-2010, 12:46 AM
I'm confuddled (not hard to do)

If I stayed in character, surely I'd be me?

Mmmh the poll might not be well formulated. It came from a discussion on a different thread, querying whether readers ever identified so much with a character they wished they could be them at one point. Then the question arose whether the identification might be with characters close to one's own personality or perhaps someone with a (very) different personality. Maybe I should pull the plug on this one (if possible) and relaunch once I find a better formulation :)

Mr Flibble
06-03-2010, 12:54 AM
Hmm

Well put me in the 'I don't care of they are like me or not, so long as they are interesting and engaging' group.

Jamesaritchie
06-03-2010, 10:02 PM
Mmmh the poll might not be well formulated. It came from a discussion on a different thread, querying whether readers ever identified so much with a character they wished they could be them at one point. Then the question arose whether the identification might be with characters close to one's own personality or perhaps someone with a (very) different personality. Maybe I should pull the plug on this one (if possible) and relaunch once I find a better formulation :)

When I identify with a character, it's because I already am pretty much like that character. Only the details of the situations they're in are different.

Ton Lew Lepsnaci
06-04-2010, 01:28 AM
When I identify with a character, it's because I already am pretty much like that character. Only the details of the situations they're in are different.

I guess that would be the case for me too, though sometimes a character can extend character traits to such purity it must be a unique experience to view things through their eyes.