PDA

View Full Version : Quoting from a post?

gracemichael
06-02-2010, 07:00 PM
Why can't I get my quotes in a post reply to work? I know you hit the "quote" button in the post, but for some reason, it only shows up like this: [quote] and then the words instead of the cool-looking box that everyone else seems to have. *pouting that mine doesn't have a cool looking text box!*

What am I doing wrong?

dpaterso
06-02-2010, 07:11 PM
You mean you don't see the quoted text in a box, after you hit Preview Post or Submit Reply buttons?

Are you closing off the quoted text with the /quote tag, e.g.

Quoted text inside the box.

which produces:

Quoted text inside the box.

-Derek

Cathy C
06-02-2010, 07:25 PM
Ah! I bet I know what you're doing. You're clicking the quote button in the tools above the typing screen, right? So it looks like this? [QUOTE] [/QUOTE (I removed the end bracket ] so it would appear in the text.

You need to make sure what you've cut and pasted goes BETWEEN the ] of QUOTE and the [ of /QUOTE, so like Derek shows. If your cursor is somewhere else, and likely it WILL be appear after the final ], you'll need to click your cursor so it's between the two ] [ brackets.

Does that help?

gracemichael
06-02-2010, 07:50 PM
You mean you don't see the quoted text in a box, after you hit Preview Post or Submit Reply buttons? Are you closing off the quoted text with the /quote tag

Yeah, thanks!! Now I don't have to pout anymore! ;)

wrombola
06-05-2010, 04:17 PM
What am I doing wrong?[

Thanks I needed to figure that out myself

Maryn
06-05-2010, 07:37 PM
wrombola, thanks for the reminder that when one person poses questions or posts problems, there are always others who have the same issue but haven't gotten around to asking yet.

Maryn, who hopes to learn to use the multi-quotes dealie some day

Medievalist
06-05-2010, 08:03 PM
Yeah, thanks!! Now I don't have to pout anymore! ;)

Take a look at the Newbies Guide (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66315). It's linked at the top of every screen.

It explains all kinda AW stuff.

Snivscriv
06-05-2010, 09:06 PM
So here's a related question I can't figure out, even after reading the Newbie's Guide. If I want to quote several posts, I'm hit the icon with quotes and a plus sign, but when I do, nothing happens. I thought those posts would show up the the reply box so I could trim them before posting. What am I doing wrong?

Medievalist
06-05-2010, 09:29 PM
If you want to post replies to multiple posts you can select the posts to quote by clicking the multi quote button http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/buttons/multiquote_off.gif.

1. Click the Multiquote button on each post you want to quote.
2. The button will turn red/orange to indicate that you've clicked it, and it is now selected.
3. On the last post you want to quote, click the Quote button http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/buttons/quote.gif.
4. You should then see the familiar Post Editor. You can delete the parts of the quoted posts that you do not wish to quote.

Tip: When you click the multi quote button for the posts you wish to quote, remember that they will be listed in the order you click them.

Maryn
06-05-2010, 10:00 PM
Thanks, Lisa. I'll put it to use many times, I'm sure.

Maryn, occasional participant in massive threads

Snivscriv
06-06-2010, 12:57 AM
Thanks Medievalist.