I'm looking for something to copy edit

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnM

Cruel Dictator
Registered
Reaction score
First, my apologies if this isn't the best place for this post.

I am thinking of applying for a copy editing position that I just saw advertised locally but, need to provide a sample of my work. Problem is, I don't have any.

So, I thought I would throw it out here and see if anyone would like to have me copy edit a few chapters of their work. I would then submit that as part of my application, thinking that in addition to it serving my purpose, it would allow the writer a chance to (maybe) have some of their work read by someone that might say, "And oh, by the way, who wrote those pages you edited?"

My only requests would be that the submitted work be finished and ready for the query process in case they do bite, and that it not be erotic as I wouldn't be comfortable using that in my application.

Thanks in advance.

Miss Plum

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
John M, you could also post a craigslist ad and aim it at college students who need help with their papers. An offer of a free copyedit of a 3-5 page paper should get some bites.

JohnM

Cruel Dictator
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for the suggestion Miss Plum, good idea.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Not really a novels question. I'm going to move this to the Roundtable for a more general audience.

scottVee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
scott.virtes.com
It might to narrow this down some. If your goal is to do copyediting of business-type writing, or academic writing, then having some novel chapters to point clients to is likely to be jarring. Does the ad give any clue about what kind of writing is involved?

Fulk

Occasional Contributer
Registered
Reaction score
Do you have any academic or business writing you've done in the past? If so, I'm sure that'd work just as well for a portfolio of previous work, especially since it demonstrates your own writing abilities. Failing that, offering edits to college students on Craigslist, as mentioned earlier in the thread, should work well.

JohnM

Cruel Dictator
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you Soccer Mom for moving this to the appropriate forum. Thanks all for the responses. The ad was for Novel copy editing, it just seemed like a win-win to offer a free copy edit to someone with a finished work that was looking for what might amount to a free trip through the back door directly into the hands of an editor. But no worries the position is no longer available. Thanks again to all who responded.

Status
Not open for further replies.